• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SRT8 Roadrunner conversion, NOT a body over!!

CJD AUTO

Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
Started this project when a customer was going to install an XV suspension setup with SRT8 running gear. XV imploded, and I offered this a solution for the customers request to have a modern car in an old wrapper. Been kicking myself ever since!

So the car he started with was a salvage title SRT8 that ran and drove, but was hit in the front. Now that I was using the suspension, I needed a jig. A quick tram gauge check showed the cars rails and cradle were bent. So off to the frame shop to pull the car into spec. That means a new cradle and pull the engine for the frame shop.

This is the car as delivered:

file-11.jpg

To the frame shop:

file-10.jpg

Back from the frame shop:

file-2.jpg

file-1.jpg

file-3.jpg

Then I had to level out the drive on and use it as the frame table. Set the Charger at ride height and locked it down. Now to build jigs that attach to the rack:

file-4.jpg

file-5.jpg
file-6.jpg

And end up with these jigs that locate the suspension and floor mounts:

file-9.jpg

Off with the SRT8 and on with the Roadrunner. I have the body on air jacks to manipulate the stance to the customers liking. Remember the jigs fix the suspension at ride height. I am simply adjusting the rake off the body and will attach the body to the rack at the customers preferred stance and ride height:

file-8.jpg

file-7.jpg

Okay, RR body locked down. Now to start cutting the floor section out. The LX floor is actually narrower than the RR's original, so I need to bridge the gap. I'll use a 2x5 box beam. This is where I get adamant that this isn't a body over. When they "skin" an LX car, they are removing the outside of the LX floor's bridge beams. This IS the structure of that car. You are seriously compromising the chassis integrity. So I remove the floor section from the LX where it attaches to the bridge beam, and attach to the new RR's box beam structure. Hope that made sense!

file-21.jpg

file-22.jpg
[/URL
file-13.jpg
file-14.jpg
file-15.jpg

Throw a little paint, not sure why, ended up blasting!

file-17.jpg
file-18.jpg

And then slip it into place and locate with the jigs:

file-23.jpgfile-24.jpgfile-25.jpgfile-28.jpg

About 30 feet of weld per side. It is built in layers to the rocker:

file-31.jpg

Fitting the dash frame. Just the frame, upholstery is for some else!

file_zpscb0bc91d.jpg

Now to do the same for the rear section. The wheelbase is shorter on the RR than the SRT, so a little trimming on the rear of the front section was necessary. Now to remove the rear section:

file_zps360f2d2d.jpg
file_zpsfcf74fd5.jpgfile_zps360f2d2d.jpg

Leaving only this:

file_zps360f2d2d.jpg

Cut in half and call the scrap guy:
file_zpse022226c.jpg

Craig....did you get burnt out on the other site? Anxious to see where you are with this now, I know it is further than these shots! Some awesome fab work goin on here!

Cradles back in and rolling:

file_zpsa90c781c.jpg

IMG_1949_zps23c18884.jpg

IMG_1950_zpsd7ab8502.jpg

Frame slugged for stock bumper brackets:

IMG_1952_zps51884ffd.jpg

IMG_1953_zpsee240461.jpg

IMG_1954_zpse36175dd.jpg

IMG_1956_zpsfc3d7f5c.jpg

IMG_1957_zps29a350c1.jpg

IMG_1958_zps2659d4f0.jpg

A few mods to the grille header:

IMG_1959_zps028601d5.jpg

IMG_1960_zps72101c82.jpg

IMG_1955_zps98b04092.jpg
Cradles back out and on the rotisserie:

IMG_1963_zps9afd758c.jpg

IMG_1964_zps585ce346.jpg

IMG_1965_zps23c45b08.jpg

IMG_1966_zps025696fc.jpg

IMG_1967_zps0d56701a.jpg

SRT wire pass throughs for door:

IMG_2211_zpsmwfcbhyl.jpg

Cut down the stock RR outer wheel house and tie into the LX outer wheel house (purge canister and wheel speed sensor wiring lives her):

IMG_2025_zps5e7324f6.jpg

Stock wheel liner cut down to fit:

IMG_2026_zps3fe59bff.jpg

IMG_2027_zpsf5900130.jpg

IMG_2028_zpse05ba40b.jpg

Fuel fill on the SRT is on the left quarter. Tank is under the back seat and trying to route the filler to the bumper didn't seem like the best option. 2011 Challenger fuel cap will work, ala Charger inspired:

IMG_2070_zpss8ecpjbg.jpg

IMG_2069_zpsvwg9dww8.jpg

IMG_2071_zpsdqwk6vj2.jpg

IMG_2072_zpsc2paoeql.jpg

IMG_2073_zpsspnu02q6.jpg

IMG_2074_zpsjmf5jpbb.jpg

IMG_2075_zps8rgppfvt.jpg

Loaded up and off to media blast and epoxy powder coat:

IMG_2271_zpsfoytowbh.jpg

And just got it back:

IMG_0008%202_zps1dlciisi.jpg

IMG_0010_zpsk49gxkom.jpg

IMG_0011_zpsxwhu6gcu.jpg

damn!, that's a lot of work. let me see if i got this right, you did all that fabrication so you could install an XV suspension setup with SRT8 running gear in a 70 RR?

damn!, that's a lot of work. let me see if i got this right, you did all that fabrication so you could install an XV suspension setup with SRT8 running gear in a 70 RR?

No, no. That was the original plan. I was just going to install the SRT8 running gear and an XV suspension in the stock RR. When the XV stuff was backordered forever and then became unavailable, I (stupidly) suggested using the SRT8 suspension, already had it, right? Just cut that out and stick that in their., no big deal Yep, I'm the moron that said that. Now that there is light at the end of the tunnel, I think it will be a pretty cool car, but I will admit, their were times I wanted to push it off a cliff!

- - - Updated - - -

Craig....did you get burnt out on the other site? Anxious to see where you are with this now, I know it is further than these shots! Some awesome fab work goin on here!

Thanks Darius,

Yeah, it's a little "clicky" over their, but really just wanted some B-body people to see this and maybe use some ideas to build there own.

Friggin' BAD ***!!!!!

That is some amazing work. If I lived closer I'd have you repair the rust on the A pillars on my 72 Coronet.

Thanks guys!

Next step is about a mile of seam sealer, undercoat, and paint the engine compartment. I'll put the wiring, fuel, brake, running gear back in and send it to paint and body. I won't start on that until next weekend, so no more pics until I actually do some more!

This Thread is on Mopart's I have it Bookmarked I love it so much.

I think the real issue here is the man building this car has mental health issues! I mean, wow, not even I'd be comfortable doing this! I love the home-made jigs to ensure all is aligned and true! But, I can empathize with this level of insanity! Here's what I'm doing on the side, and, yes, don't think I've mentioned it yet here on FBBO! 66 Mustang on a 93 BMW 850! I need to watch this thread!
unnamed.jpg

I've been following this thread over at the mothership for a while and it's kind of a bitter sweet thing. On one hand, it's a great inspiration to see what can be accomplished and on the other, it makes me realize what a piker I really am.

Hats off to you Craig, phenomenal work !

This is really looking great Craig. having made the swap in another way, I can really appreciate your creativity and SKILL!!! Your client must be VERY open and has great cash flow;-) .
Cannot wait to see finished product. You just had your issues on the front end while all mine were on the getting it to actually run end (Friggin computers).

Hats off to you man. Been doing one for the last 3 years. It is nice to see how a true professional approached this. Top shelf all the way.

By the way here is a thread on this forum where the builder has adapted the front and rear SRT cradles to the old B body structure. Another clever use of the running gear.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?86463-Coronet-SRT-8

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back