• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ssbc brakes

69tri

Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score
anyone use ssbc brake kit a-156-1
I am installing it now and not sure which hole to put the brake rod in. There is two holes and upper and lower. Plus the rod is way too long to fit in either hole even when it's adjusted at the shortest length. Do I cut the threaded rod to make it short enough? I don't want to cut anything without knowing for sure. I have left several messages and emails with them and no response.
Thanks

Forgot to mention this is on a 65 coronet.

Are you talking about the brake pedal rod? Did you go from manual to power brakes?

I am talking about the brake pedal rod. This kit is only for cars that had single master cylinder non power brakes. It is converting to power. Since it specifically states for the non power car I wonder if I put the rod in the same hole that the original rod was in.

69tri, what did you end up doing about the rod length issue? I'm at that point with my installation now and the rod length is way too long. I'll probably just cut the threaded rod, but I was curious how you made out. I think sbcc went out of business right after I bought the kit. (my luck)

I found this out too a couple months ago, read! Good Luck https://www.yelp.com/biz/ssbc-performance-brake-systems-clarence
Wow, thanks for ruining my night haha. Well I have almost everything installed, and it looks like good quality stuff. Now my concern is if I ever need new rotors or calipers I'm screwed. I might have to buy a whole new kit from another company. Kind of messed up of Summit to sell the stuff knowing the company is out of business.

Agreed. Would have been nice for Summit to let people know about the demise of SSBC prior to continuing to sell their stuff.

Well as I've posted before...lemme mention some about my TWO year ordeal getting my SSBC brakes to work on my '63 Plymouth. Sorry to say it STILL isn't friggin right so been working on this as I type this. Yes, the rod was too long leaving the brake pedal easier to use as a hand brake. And the eye bolt was bent so a friend made a new one for me at his shop with decent metal. The one in the kit looked like it was made in sophomore shop class. Had to cut down the threaded rod to get the pedal to the right height and used the top hole since trying to use the existing lower hole cocked the rod. Now I've read that the top hole is for manual brakes and the lower for power. My kit converted from manual to power. Except as far as I know that don't work (using the lower hole). There's some I've read that drilling yet another hole might be necessary; but the rod action with the pedal is dead straight. If yours is manual anyway, I don't think this is an issue. The bolt made, had an extended bumper on it to mate with the brake light switch as we did a little math on this using a diagram from the FS manual. After you find the right length it's now a matter of pedal travel before the brakes engage by adjusting the rod and having pedal swing back to the switch. Too much you get pre-mature brake action. I did this in steps (cutting the rod) so as to not end up cutting it too short. At least as I played with it. Now the ever-ending issue w/me is my pedal seeps down and sometimes won't return unless I put my foot in back of the pedal and pull it back. Brakes don't engage when this happens and still can apply brakes just that pedal is way down. After doing this they work great until it friggin does it again. The booster checks out perfect as does rod adjustment (the one btw the MC and booster). I'll stop as I share my ordeals with a power setup...AND no wonder SSBC never replies didn't know they went out of biz!

Auto Transport Service
Back