• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Start up help Basics

Gregg DeGeorge

Local time
6:04 PM
Reaction score
Happy New year first off ,putting together a 69: Roadrunner 4spd 440 car it was an auto switched it over to a 4SPD ;engine is a a used 69 440 steel crank good heads ;my question finding 1 cyl on cap ;myself I normally get engine on compression stroke turn over until it lines up with 0 on the timing mark ;so wher ever the rotor is pointing becomes 1 then I go through the firing order ; I have spark ;I have fuel I have a 650 carb which I had to put a half inch spacer to avoid linkage from hitting stock choke area ;I’ve put together a few of these cars ;but am stumped to matter when I turn the distributor it won’t fire ,I changed the normal points ;coil wires plugs all new ;am I missing something on my set up thanks again

First double check that you're on the compression stroke.
Remember counter clockwise for a big block.

Next I would take a good plug and ground it with a jumper cable.

Check spark during crank and run position of the ignition. Jump starter relay in run position.
Should be white/blue and crisp.

Lastly perhaps a little more advance.

Remember the distributor rotates counter clockwise, like allready posted ck. For spark also ck, power at ballast resistor and coil.
1672539790419.png

Do you have the oil pump drive gear/shaft slot oriented parallel with the crankshaft centerline at TDC with #1 on compression stroke. It makes for less confusion when looking at plug wire routing.
Mike

With timing mark at 0, engine can be on the compression [ firing ] stroke of #1...or #6 cyl.
50/50 chance.

First double check that you're on the compression stroke.
Remember counter clockwise for a big block.

Next I would take a good plug and ground it with a jumper cable.

Check spark during crank and run position of the ignition. Jump starter relay in run position.
Should be white/blue and crisp.

Lastly perhaps a little more advance.
Thanks have a white spark ;everything is new ,funny it will pop off with starter fluid sounds like timing is off changed cap and rotor points ;distributor is old came with motor ;points seem to opening ;if I pull 1 plug and wire I have spark and fuel just won’t Run ;when I get it to pop off with starter fluid it feels rough and out of time ;may try different distributor tomorrow;think I can borrow one thanks for your thoughts ;never had this much trouble getting old engine srarted

Thanks did not know you can do that I’ll give it a shot before I pull distributor
I like to do this with the plugs removed, it cranks faster that way.
Did you do the other things I suggested?

If it fired on ether it should fire on gas. Did you try a squirt bottle vs hoping the carb and/or fuel pump is good.

Rough time the ignition. Set TDC mark around 10-15 BTDC, and rotate distributor to where the points just break open. The timing should be close to get it started.
It might take more fuel than you think as the manifold will be dry.

Rough time the ignition. Set TDC mark around 10-15 BTDC, and rotate distributor to where the points just break open. The timing should be close to get it started.
It might take more fuel than you think as the manifold will be dry.
Thanks I have fuel ,new pump is fine ,never ran into this,car just won’t run ,it’s weird I’ll get it to pop off and then nothing ,even pulled top of carb off it’s clean and has fuel I can see it squirt on there thanks

Is the exhaust clear?

SURE your on the compression stroke of #1?

If all else fails, start with the basic checks.
pull spark plugs and inspect they are not fowled or damaged.
run compression check of all the cylinders
verify TDC timing mark on damper
verify TDC compression. either cylinder pressure or after intake closes.
install distributor, and rotor will be whichever cap terminal it lines up with. If you want to change cap terminal location of #1 plug wire, re-index the oil pump drive.
verify the plug wires are good. (this one got me before. could see a weak spark, but woudn't run till changed out wires.
verify the cap and rotor are good, inspect inside of rotor also to make sure no arcing through it.
verify wires routed in the correct firing order counter clockwise on the cap.
check spark at coil, and that the points or ignition fire the coil. might try a spark gap tester to see how good the spark is, they are not expensive.
check spark while cranking too in case the ignition switch is bad.

At this point, with compression, ignition / ignition timing good, it should fire with just poring some fuel in the manifold.
If it fires, but won't stay running, try a temporary fuel system like a gas can with an electric fuel pump. If that works, the fuel system could have a crack and is sucking air, or could be plugged up, or pump problems.

On my cars, I have replaced the fuel tanks, pickup socks (if the pickup was still good), and ran new fuel lines.
A new Spectra Premium CR9 fuel tank is only $210.65 from Amazon.
new pre-bent stainless fuel lines are around $100, mild steel a bit cheaper, or make your own.

Last edited:
Im no expert, but based on what your saying I would guess your 180 degrees out with the distributor. When I made this mistake, my engine would pop and backfire but would not run not matter what I did. Once I fixed this, she fired right up no hesitation.

However, I also made sure my specs were exactly what Gregg and 451Mopar said.

"Rough time the ignition. Set TDC mark around 10-15 BTDC, and rotate distributor to where the points just break open. The timing should be close to get it started."

If it’s a points distributor, change the condenser under the cap. If you don’t have an old one lying around, message member “halifaxhops” and have him send you one. I’ll bet it fires with a different condenser.

If it’s a points distributor, change the condenser under the cap. If you don’t have an old one lying around, message member “halifaxhops” and have him send you one. I’ll bet it fires with a different condenser.
Thanks for all the help ,I ordered a new Distribtor seems I’m crushing the rotor cap is moving side to side when cranking weird maybe shaft bent came with used motor I bought thanks again maybe next week

Auto Transport Service
Back