• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Started my 67 GTX body work/repaint

Actually the Sherman panels are pretty good. ive used them on a few cars and the fit is ok. Most people bitch about them cause they don't know what their doing.

Whatever panel I use, we plan on just using the lower portion at the horizontal line that runs the length of the car. So im thinking its too small of an area to be flapping in the wind. At least I hope thats the case,if I can't find a whole panel,thens its going to be patch panels.

Buy an AMD panel, you'll be glad you did. I wouldn't put a low quality panel on a nice car like yours, it deserves better. Even a small panel I wouldn't feel comfortable even if it's not flapping in the wind. If the parts vendors say they're no good and they send me elsewhere I believe them. They want to make money, but also being honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually the Sherman panels are pretty good. ive used them on a few cars and the fit is ok. Most people bitch about them cause they don't know what their doing.

I haven't seen or heard a single good thing about them. Especially on the '66-'67 Plymouth panels. Must depend on what make or model, but I wouldn't consider them. Search the forums and you'll see a few other '66-'67 owners that will say the same thing.

checking in

20151130_215900.jpg20151130_215910.jpg20151201_202929.jpg20151201_202936.jpg20151201_202943.jpg20151130_215900.jpg20151130_215910.jpg20151201_202929.jpg20151201_202936.jpg20151201_202943.jpg

Having never worked with stainless before,,I was nervous,,lol
I think I got it tho,,it was slow to start,,I had to do the research,,set up my shop for it,,make tools,,establish specific steps etc,,
before and after pics,,I luv this hobby :)

I did all the stainless on my hot rod and that attention to detail makes lines and paint pop!!!

GTX - Copy.jpg

Gary

IMG_1582 - Copy.JPG GTX - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
soooo,,after some more evaluation I decided to try and replace the trunk lid and hood,,,both had been hit,,and although reparable,,not wanting to refill with a boatload of bondo,,after trying to straighten,,
I got lucky and found a trunk lid local,,,took pic after a quikie test fitting20151216_131028.jpg
odds are I won't be as lucky with the hood

Nice work!! Looks like you're treating that GTX to a 1st class resto! Cant wait to see the progress.

Buy an AMD panel, you'll be glad you did. I wouldn't put a low quality panel on a nice car like yours, it deserves better. Even a small panel I wouldn't feel comfortable even if it's not flapping in the wind. If the parts vendors say they're no good and they send me elsewhere I believe them. They want to make money, but also being honest.

If only AMD actually made panels for 66/67 :(

update

been a bit since I checked in...fenders, doors, trunk and roof are ready for final blocking
cut out driver side lower quarter yesterday,,some rust on inner as well,,oy ey,,lol
plugging along with brightwork,,,very tedious to restore stainless...
20160121_141924.jpg20160121_141857.jpg20160121_141841.jpg20160121_141924.jpg20160121_141857.jpg20160121_141841.jpg

Looks good, You need to be very careful when welding in the the wheel arch between that body line and the wheel lip. Because of the contour and heat, the panel WILL BE SUCKED IN, so go slow and pull out as you go. In the end I needed to go as far as spreading the wheel house and quarter with a port-o-power unit to get back in shape. Not sure what your using for patch panels but the Sherman panels are garbage. I tried to use them and the wheel arch contour is completely wrong and immediately noticeable. The thickness is a bit thinner than factory but not really a factor, the biggest issue is the mold is wrong. My recommendation is the AMD lower rear section (which are really good) along with cutting the arch section out of a 4 door if possible.

Looks good, You need to be very careful when welding in the the wheel arch between that body line and the wheel lip. Because of the contour and heat, the panel WILL BE SUCKED IN, so go slow and pull out as you go. In the end I needed to go as far as spreading the wheel house and quarter with a port-o-power unit to get back in shape. Not sure what your using for patch panels but the Sherman panels are garbage. I tried to use them and the wheel arch contour is completely wrong and immediately noticeable. The thickness is a bit thinner than factory but not really a factor, the biggest issue is the mold is wrong. My recommendation is the AMD lower rear section (which are really good) along with cutting the arch section out of a 4 door if possible.

AMD didn't have the complétě lower that I needed. I researched the below company, they are the manufacturer. Fit seems spot on, wheel opening correct and correctly oriented. Thickness is one grade below factory

http://www.c2cfabrication.com

Beautiful car. Working on the same car. Do you know where I can get my headlamp bezels restored? Thanks

What did the guy charge for this wet blasting? I actually never heard of this process. Around here you would have to contain that slurry otherwise you would end up with a nice fine.

yikes...its been a while
been swamped with the car...lol...dunno on the headlight bezels..I did mine myself...the wet blast was around 1K..
rounding third..sound deadening...final blocking,,,then paint...pics soon :)

What did the guy charge for this wet blasting? I actually never heard of this process. Around here you would have to contain that slurry otherwise you would end up with a nice fine.

I payed $800 to do mine in a shop in PA

Auto Transport Service
Back