• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

started the restoration '70 roadrunner

the roof was just installed this week--12 hours to do it.

now the seats are going in

IMG_3329.JPG IMG_3335.JPG

I guess I should change the title of my posts to "Finished the restoration '70 RoadRunner"

we're just doing the front end alignment and then I'll apply the dust stripes.
and that's it---all done---oh ya, and put in the trunk mat and spare tire and jack.

IMG_3348.JPG IMG_3347.JPG IMG_3343.JPG

interior finished
-we even got the am radio working(had to put in a new speaker)

IMG_5529.JPG

The restoration is complete, and the car is being driven.

Good things during the restoration:
1)It took 9 months from start to finish;about 900 hrs of work
2) all original panels on the car were used; original quarters were used, doors,fenders and hood and trunk lid all not replaced----(floors including trunk pan were replaced)
3) no big delays in shipping parts during covid.
4) I kept the car original in colour and it worked out--the FK5 turned out great
5 when finally ready to start the engine, it ran great, fresh rebuild and the cam etc. broke in fine

Bad things during restoration:
1) over budget....well, who isn't?
2) when about to start the engine first time ,realized a head was cracked
3) when about to drive it realized the tailstock on tranny was cracked
4) ammeter shorted out and blew a small hole in the gauge housing and blew the alternator,

IMG_3361.JPG IMG_3358 (2).JPG IMG_3344 (1).JPG IMG_3351.JPG IMG_3356.JPG IMG_3357 (2).JPG

Things to deal with now, after the restoration:

-change the rear gear--I don't like the 391's--I'll go for 323 I think

-Got some low vacuum issues with power brakes, It stops well, but at idle, it needs a little boost of vacuum

-small vibratrion to deal with at 30-40 mph, not sure if rear end,u joints or driveshaft.
going to be long covid winter so lots of time to fix any issues.

other than that I've put 250 miles on the car and it runs great.

Just read through your thread. Very nice build! Love that color too!

interior finished
-we even got the am radio working(had to put in a new speaker)

View attachment 1021237
Great looking car. I've got the radio out of my 1967 Charger as it's inoperative. I'll have it updated to AM-FM while retaining stock look. When I turn the radio on, there's one little pop and then not another sound. No static, nothing, no matter how I turn the volume or tuning knobs. So, radio will get updated, but problem could be the speaker. So, I'll be buying a new speaker to go with new radio. What did you find for a replacement for your Roadrunner?

Thanks in advance.
Chuck

Great looking car. I've got the radio out of my 1967 Charger as it's inoperative. I'll have it updated to AM-FM while retaining stock look. When I turn the radio on, there's one little pop and then not another sound. No static, nothing, no matter how I turn the volume or tuning knobs. So, radio will get updated, but problem could be the speaker. So, I'll be buying a new speaker to go with new radio. What did you find for a replacement for your Roadrunner?

Thanks in advance.
Chuck
The guy working on the dash and instruments had an OE speaker and he put it in. cost me $100. We thought we had the am radio working but just static. Antenna is good. Ive got a guy who says it's no big deal--dried out capacitors? I'll pull the radio out and send it in.

We added a stripe to the trunk. Chose gold to match the dust stripes. It wasn't original on the car, but I thought I kept everything else original, so a stripe won't hurt.

Having a little problem with timing. -faulty vacuum diaphram on the distributor.
What should the timing be set to approx, with vacuum plugged (at 800rpm)? and what should it go up to with the vacuum hose hooked up (at 800RPM.)

IMG_5641.JPG IMG_5642.JPG

Got the vacuum/timing issue sorted out. It was a bad diaphram in the brand new distributor. Installed another new distributor; The timing advances perfectly now when hooking up the vacuum hose from distributor to carb. Even the idle vacuum is now up around 16 inches from the 9 inches that it was.
The air grabber lifts up (using vacuum of course) a lot faster now, and the power brakes work better too. Lots of discussion on this BBodies site for vacuum problems helped out.

I just had my car ceramic coated--not sure what the consensus is here whether it's needed or not.
It's expensive but looks a little shinier, and now protected.

IMG_6376.jpg IMG_6374.jpg IMG_6367.jpg

Probably the nicest 70 convertible I've ever seen!!! I have a 70 GTX in FK5 so I guess I'm biased by the color.

Great job! Maybe I missed it but shouldn't you have the "round" air cleaner top for a 70 383 N96 car? I restored one 1989 and the original top was round.

These look very similar to the oval lid 4-Barrel air cleaner but is totally different. There is a drain pan recess at the front with tubes where you fit drain hoses that hang over the valve covers. There is also just one stud to hold the lid on. The lid is unique as well, it hangs down to cover the top part of the filter to protect it from rain when the air door is open. 383 and 400 baseplates are different and sit higher on the carb than the others.

In the last photo the base is missing the two short water drain hoses.

Auto Transport Service
Back