• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting on my '72 'bring Plus again...

SteveDana

Local time
4:41 AM
Reaction score
Hello-

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Steve, I'm 44 and have been working on cars my entire life. I have owned my '72 Satellite Sebring Plus since high school (1984)...

It's been to h3ll and back (and back and back) and basically as abused as much as a sophmore can and would abuse a vehicle and errrr okay - well into my late '30s too.

Car has sat (rested) for the last 8 or so years and it's time to do it all over again.
Car is sorta rough and I'm in need of a few things.

Car will be here in a few days and I'll take inventory at that point.

Thought I'd shout out - take care to all

Further details

I said car sat for 8 years- true - but it last ran in 2007. So it's really been sitting 3 1/2 years. hmmmm still doesn't sound much better does it?

Anyway - it's got its original 318-904 with 2.73, yes, 2.73 gears.
Had it up to 137 mph and held it there for 30 miles (ask me where) errrrr nevermind... long time ago.

It's got a mild cam, Performer carb and intake, headers, A/C hacked out, t
Vintage '80s Centerlines, it has been run on a bottle, wrecked twice, almost rolled once... what else-??? Man I've missed this car.

I love those 1972 b-bodies. I had a 1972 Sebring driver that I was working on upgrading to a plus. I put in a Rallye Dash and Magnum 500 rims on it. I was going to upgrade to a 400 from my 318 and give it two tone paint. However, I sold it and started my first project a 1972 Charger Rallye.

It will be nice to see some photos.

I got a few photos of some really nice 72' Plus cars from Carlisle last weekend, but I have not had a chance to download them to the computer yet. Once I have them, I can attach some photos if you would like.

Nice car and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Welcome to FBBO! Post some pics of the Sebring when you get it home. Also if you wouldn't mind, post some pics of your Savoy and your Belvedere. I'd like to see them.

There was a Sebring Plus around here for a long time. Orange and white 400 car with orange and white interior. I always liked that car.

Love the B-Body styles from 71-74. I've seen some real slick RoadRunners and 72 Chargers, and they look sharp. Not too crazy about 74 Chargers...but Sebrings are a beautiful car.

they are probably too big. right click on the picture, click edit, and then resize to smaller until they will post.

Hey what's wrong with 73-74 Chargers? The more I look at mine, the more I like it BETTER than 71-72. I like the "kick" up at the top rear of the quarter, and I think the quarter window lines have better flow and use of space. I DO have 72 hideaways to put on mine, though.

Steve welcome to the FBBo forum good luck with your 72 Satellite, what are your plans for it, restoration or performance? Always loved the 71-72 body styles maybe the Petty #43 influence...LOL...

Steve welcome to the FBBo forum good luck with your 72 Satellite, what are your plans for it, restoration or performance? Always loved the 71-72 body styles maybe the Petty #43 influence...LOL...

Sorry to be so late with this:

Well- As far as my plans, I bought the car from the original owner when it was only 12 or so years old and it was a very clean and stock '72 Satellite Sebring Plus. Brown with Argent Bottom - Wide stainless side molding and a white vinyl canopy top with white interior.
318 2 barrel 904 and 2.73 rearend.
That was stock. -in 1984.
It stayed that way for about a week maybe less... I proceeded to cut the A/C out, ripped the side molding off (I bent the molding up and threw it in the dumpster - what a dumbazz) anyway, slapped on a four barrel, cheap cheatercam, headers, some Centerlines, traction bars, ripped the vinyl roof off (which was perfect btw) blacked out the grille and painted the whole thing Aubergine (kinda like an eggplant) I left all the emblems off too... (I have since lost them)

Ran the car hard for years, banged and bent it up a couple of times, trashed the interior, and put it away wet so to speak.

So that was then...

This is now...

Since I never used the car in stock form I don't see it that way now either. I will have to get it running again, pound out some more dents, replace the interior, and update the look a bit.

As far as performance, 1/4 mile was never really an issue because I used to live in the long and flat and ran the car in the realm of crazy fast long term. (Their big-block 4.11 car may have gotten away, but I would always catch it)

Finally as far as the 318...

The plan was to replace the engine- after it blew up - but it NEVER did...
Now I plan to keep it since it has always done me right...even when I did it so wrong. You gotta respect that.

Last edited:
318 2 barrel 904 and 2.73 rearend.
That was stock. -in 1984.

Hmmmm- found some really great info on the Road Runner nest
on how these cars were ordered...

Seems my car really has either a 2.71 or 2.76 gear, not 2.73
as I thought all these years...

My broadcast sheet has 51 under axle second line down and 030
under axle fourth line down.

Auto Transport Service
Back