• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

State of my bulkhead connector.

jmbass98

Local time
1:11 PM
Reaction score
Been having a lot of issues with the charging circuit on my '66 Charger. Smoking voltage regulator. Windshield wipers suddenly stopped functioning as they should. No charge at RPM. Took off the old engine harness to find this.

How do I proceed, can I salvage this or should I just replace the entire wiring under the dash and to the bulkhead as well? Everything else electrically (except for the gauge lights being funky) has been okay so I'm hesitant to dump what may be a perfectly good harness.

image0.jpeg

Pop the connector out of the firewall and mix up a mild acid batch to soak it in. A vinegar/water mix might do it. It will get rid of the corrosion and leave nice shiny contacts. When you plug everything back in, use some sort of conductive grease "sparingly".

What do the plug ends look like? Any sign of overheating or melted plastic?

Ca you get a closer view of that bulkhead connector? Hard to tell if it is dirty, corroded or burnt.

It’s not melted at all which is great. What is the white stuff? Will it wipe of or brush off with a toothbrush?

DeOxIt flush and soak.

If it was me I'd just replace all those terminals....that's the weak link in our Mopar electrical systems. There should be enough slack in the wiring on both sides of the block to cut each wire back enough for a new terminal, and the best thing would be to cut back into fresh wire if there's enough length available....the very ends often become hard and brittle over the years. If you go that route I'd strongly suggest getting a proper crimp tool...they aren't too expensive and you can usually pick one up that comes with multiple sets of dies for many different terminals and ferrules.

Last edited:
I’d just look things over first before making decisions of what it needs.

No idea what it needs from here. Need to inspect For problems and go from there. Maybe this was a garaged car and the. Wires are soft and pliable. Or maybe it’s junk. Must look at it and the wiring harnesses that plug in there.

Looks like corrosion that could be cleaned up with one of the above mentioned processes.

Auto Transport Service
Back