• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Couper Location

JCroadrunner

Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
The manual for my 70 RR says the end cap on the steering coupler should be 13/16ths from the small indent on the steering shaft. Mine is 1 3/16 from that dot. Don't know how I can move the shaft into the coupler any more. Are the "shoes" in the coupler in backwards maybe? Or is that even possible? My steering column is already used into the dash so tight that it's hard to move the automatic shift column lever. Mounting bracket is bottomed out, no more outward adjustment. Something is not right how I have it now. I know about master splines etc. Getting ready to pull it out agin but not sure what to do to fix problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Any chance your steering shaft took a hit and is slightly collapsed / sheared the plastic shaft retainers? Look for deformation in the mesh section of the column tube.
beerestoration2018 1400.JPG

beerestoration2018 1328.JPG

Don't worry, the coupler shoes cannot be installed backwards.
If the column is too short then I'm afraid your steering column is collapsed.
You may be able to pull it back into position, but it really should be disassembled and repaired. I fixed mine with hot glue. Be sure to mark and measure it before so you know how much to extend it.

I don't think it has collapsed but the plastic retainers are rotted and busted. I have new ones to install. I'm headed back to the shop to check the mesh to see if its deformed. Will let you know.

David Stillie what did you fix with hot glue? The plastic retainers?

David Stillie what did you fix with hot glue? The plastic retainers?
I removed and torn down the column, pulled the shaft apart, drilled out the remaining plastic from the holes in the shaft. I realigned the inner and outer shaft then injected the hot glue.

I pulled the column out and it looks like it may have taken a light hit. The outer jacket looks like it is bunched up (collapsed) just a little. Does the steering shaft itself collapse also?

yes the shaft can collapse as well. Usually it is the shaft that is the problem. It can get collapsed easily by dropping or rough handling.

OK, I didn't realize the shaft itself collapsed. I will have to take it all apart and check. Needs a good cleanup anyway.
Thanks dads bee and David!

Auto Transport Service
Back