• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STEERING GEAR BOX NIGHTMARE

Did you use this new pump with the old box? Or did you change both at one time? Where is the old pump?

Firm feel has been around a while and they know what they are doing.

Keep looking for the problem.
I changed both at the same time, I know FIRMFEEL knows their stuff, that’s why I went with them and dropped the penny I did
They even told me I was gonna be happy with the box once done. But here I am feeling stupid and discouraged

Please tell me you didn’t pay $300 for a Saginaw pump from borgeson.
I bought the Saginaw pump from summit
Was that not a good move? I thought by putting fresh new components in would be the way to go

Follow the valve body adjustment procedure in the link that I posted. If it just won’t even out you might have some junk in the valve body. Remove, clean and try again.

I bought the Saginaw pump from summit
Was that not a good move? I thought by putting fresh new components in would be the way to go

It’s water under the bridge now. You can get a good remanned pump for $65 from Rock Auto.

Gonna throw in a reman box from cardone and see where this goes. I’ll post an update

Why? You already have an $800 box from Firm Feel. I assume you are stuck with it, might as well make it work. Having the valve body out of adjustment on a remanned box is not uncommon.

I have a stage 3 FF in my '67 w a power steering pump from a '95 Durango on my serpentine setup. Works great!! Not returning to center, steering wander can also be attributed to alignment, ball joints, rod ends etc.

Or worn iso-k components. I don’t know if I have the strength... lol
I also don’t have the strength but here we go.... all new MOOG parts were installed ball joints, tie rod ends , shocks (kyb) pitman and idler arms. As far as the FF stage 2 , control valve has been adjusted to center as to when start of the engine doesn’t even twitch to either side. Only when I start driving and make turns is when it feels like it’s gonna go and also doesn’t return on its own after the turns

Could it be the borgeson pump is too strong? Should I put back the previous pump?

Do you have aftermarket parts in the front suspension? Altered ride height? Dropped spindles? Was the alignment done correctly? Do you have a print out of the settings?

Something is going on With this car and I don’t fault the firm feel box automatically. I would think that box is a good part and the other parts around it are at fault.

Do you have aftermarket parts in the front suspension? Altered ride height? Dropped spindles? Was the alignment done correctly? Do you have a print out of the settings?

Something is going on With this car and I don’t fault the firm feel box automatically.
No print out, no custom work, just freshened up old parts with new OE spec parts. Not faulting FF, just feel that they can help me out a lil, I did just spent over 800 bucks with them that’s all

No print out, no custom work, just freshened up old parts with new OE spec parts. Not faulting FF, just feel that they can help me out a lil, I did just spent over 800 bucks with them that’s all

Well in all fairness what could they do? They rebuilt the box based on what you asked for, once they return it they have lost control of it and certainly cannot do much with you across the country not to mention having no visibility over the rest of the car.

Look, I know you are frustrated, we all have been there and undoubtedly will be there again, however when it comes to vehicles it is all about the "system" meaning everything has to do its job correctly for everything else to work. When I got my first stage 3 box and drove the car I thought it was jacked up because the steering felt "twitchy". This was a result of having grown up with these cars and having muscle memory as to how they should feel. After driving it awhile I realized it was MUCH better, much more like my 2010 Challenger or even my Viper (to a lesser degree).

Step back and look at the system and methodically look at every component and make sure everything is correct and as it should be, work through it one item at a time (this includes the alignment and tires). Make sure the pump is correct and that the valve is working correctly. You will get it figured out, this is hot rodding.

If you center the steering wheel lock to lock, are the wheels pointed straight ahead? There is a term for having the box centered, neutral something or another, and if that’s off it’ll never steer right.

Some mechanics will just throw a box in and correct at the tie rods. The box has to be installed at dead center with the master spline at 12 o’clock and the column shaft has to match or it’ll wander.

The iso suspension parts (K-member biscuits, t-bar crossmember bushings, and leaf spring isolators) that started in 73 can also make the car feel loose over time. I’m willing to bet that your rag joint is shot (can be replaced with a Land Rover part or even a hockey puck) and is contributing to the problem.

The plunge coupler can also wear internally if it’s been dry for a long time, and don’t forget about the upper column bearing.

If your old power steering pump was also a Saginaw you can swap pressure valves OR rob shims from your old one to drop the pressure in the new one. You can also buy a shim kit from Borgeson.

Last edited:
Was the system flushed properly?
Any debris in the centering valve will wreak havoc.

Get the car properly aligned all you points very directly to an alignment issue. you may find a time finding somebody that knows how to align old suspension. Please have an ASE CERTIFIED tech do this.
get print out and post

Back to basics. Is the box centerspline matched ? Is the suspension alignment correct ? Answer these 2 questions first.

Was the system flushed properly?
Any debris in the centering valve will wreak havoc.

Right there is your most likely cause... I don't care that your pump was new... Theres a 98% chance new means "China" which means it had machining debris in it... As soon as the fluid started moving the went straight to the centering/spool valve on the power steering box... Firm Feel builds a good box, they test it before it leaves their faculty, they know it was working so why should they accept responsibility?

One more reason I really don't want to have anyone else work on my stuff.
At least if it's screwed up I can only blame myself.

Auto Transport Service
Back