• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Linkage Clearance TTI Headers

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
For early B poly's, headers are a challenge for clearance; but costly TTI's guaranteed a fit. Well, on my '63 Fury after complete engine rebuild by a reputable shop, come to find there are or have been clearance issues upon getting it on an alignment rack for a safety check. The cross linkage is rubbing across the header as photo'd and the left T-bar is contacting the tie rod linkage having sheared off the tip of the grease fitting. The photo shows how the t-bar has been marred from this. The latter I found when lubing prompting me to get the car put on a rack under weight to get a true look at everything. Questions? Will more clearance be had by turning up the T-bars? Or are there modified pitman and idler arms available to provide more clearance? Thanks.

Header clearance.jpg Header clearance 2 pic.jpg

You may be up against manufacturing differences on the two arms. When I first put the TTI's on my 65 w/440, there were no issues. Put a stage 3 FF box in with a new Pittman to replace what was already existing. New arm hit the tube. Had to reshape it with my two ball peens. One hitting the other. Not sure if it will change anything but maybe swap center link side to side and see if it helps. From there may have to try out some arms from different companies to see if one droops a little more. Also, try a center link from another early B to see if maybe yours got road damaged sometime in its previous life.

You've got some steering parts issues - no way the draglink should be touching the torsion bar like that.

Ron, was your centerlink removed when they did the engine work? Could it have been put back on upside down? The link hitting the header is one thing, but having an engine rebuild/putting headers on shouldn't cause the tie rod end to hit the torsion bar - they aren't related. Did this issue only arise after the engine work? Also be careful that the torsion bar hasn't been compromised by having that nick out of it - they can suddenly break if damaged. I don't think cranking up the torsion bar will achieve anything as I think it will all move as one unit, but I'm not sure. Try turning the adjuster (counting the turns) and see.

How is the passenger side ? More clearance? I would look at the pitman arm ,since that places the the drag link down away. The idler arm and the pitman arm should reach down to the same level. Motor mount sag or settlement? A few things are in play. Steering box fit correctly?

The right answer is to talk to TTI. They made them and can answer your questions with knowledge and facts.

If the inner tie rod end is hitting the torsion bar he's got serious steering linkage problems - get 'em fixed and the headers wont rub.

The right answer is to talk to TTI. They made them and can answer your questions with knowledge and facts.

How can TTI help with the tie rod end hitting the torsion bar? The centerlink is hitting the header, the tie rod end is connected to the centerlink. The issue is not with TTI. It's a steering issue. Contacting them is not the right answer.

Well the shop that did the install with a FF box won't reply; not surprised since he thinks I'm an eff-wad as I complained about some other serious issues with the motor rebuild I ended up redoing. Peeved as the price was class A that shouldn't have included a couple B rank shortchanges (and now coming across this).

Reason to connect with TTI is they may have had others contacting them with problems and they may know what they've been to address, at least would think they would. As you know there's zero room for error getting those headers in. Don't know of the FF box assembly was off spec or even as mentioned some damage occurred; but would think the shop and the alignment place it was taken to woulda seen something.....I don't see any evidence of damage and right side looks fine.
There's great advice for me in the replies to my post here and thank you.

I had some posts back & for long time ago about significant modification of alignment necessary to gain a great non-wandering steer...my car has it after FF II box install and trying to hunt down my old notes on this. Reason I'm posting again here (in the hunt for my steering linkage playing the violin on the left torsion bar and header), is I seem to recall that to accommodate this off oem spec alignment, some part of the linkage had to be changed out? Lower control arms maybe as oem couldn't handle the alignment? Wondering if this might be part of the demon. Thanks!

Thanks Charger72 bringing this old post of mine up. I see I never informed of the fix here that I've suggested to others to learn what was what. There was another thread where I mentioned the solution to my problem.
Thanks Thunderlugs; your reply was the bullseye - pitman - I bought a new one from Mobileparts. Mechanic bud had it up on his lift and we noticed the cross link was lower on the passenger side than on the left. We tried to compute the reason as things 'looked' all good. He said lets get a new pitman on. That did it. Clearance is so minimal, but figured the old one wore enough creating an inconspicuous sag. Only talking less than a 1/4" clearance.

Auto Transport Service
Back