• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering pump shaft seal installation.

Huicho417

Local time
8:35 PM
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt my TRW Chrysler power steering pump with new o rings and seals. The first time around I got the wrong shaft seal that was too large in the inside diameter. Lost all the fluid when I first started the car. Today I found and purchased the correct one, but I’m afraid I may have pushed it too far in. I used a socket to drive it in and did not stop at the face of the housing. Do I need to remove and reinstall a new one flush with the housing? Or could o leave it in as is?

9E66ECCA-AA64-4E93-ACF7-1A04EF5F40AB.jpeg 79E5268D-851A-4793-BD05-DCD99BD312CB.jpeg 67753995-D200-44F1-86E8-66BEDA5BCEC5.jpeg

You might be ok, but for all the work involved I'd replace it now.

Did you use any sealer on the outer circumference of the seal before you installed it? Depending on the application determines what kind of sealer to use, I’d probably use a thin film of Loctite red gasket maker on that seal. I’ve seen seals leaking around the outside of the seal many times.

Auto Transport Service
Back