• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering question, need advice, thank you

Mopartank

Local time
12:03 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have quick question, steering wheel is super hard to turn, (right or left) try figure out what might cousing the problem?
Car;68 Charger
Upgrades, brand new borgeson power steering box, and powers steering pump. Pretty much everything is brand new besides steering column and wheel?

Assume you know you have all connections made and pump is functioning? The steering shaft/coupler are properly sized and aligned as may have been necessary with new equipment? No binding going on? Raise the car up to check steering action on and off..

Stupid question,was any of this apparent before
Your install??
If not might need to bleed air from system?

Make sure the lines are not swapped. I did this when I installed my Borgeson box. The instructions they provide with the box are outdated and it shows the lines in a slightly different config than what they are on the newset boxes. Anyway I tested mine while still on the jack stands to bleed the lines and it was extremely hard to turn the wheel and there was also a shutter in the wheel where it would rip the wheel out of your hands. If the car is already on the ground than the weight of the car would keep it from shuttering but would make it almost impossible to turn.

Ps I have the same issue with original set up, before the installation of the borgeson.

raise car and try turning the steering with wheels off the ground engine off. then try it with engine running
is there a difference? do you feel assist?
you could disconnect each outer tie rod end and try by hand each to sweep individually each wheel side to side. it should move free
if you can't theres a problem in with the ball joints make sure there jacked under the lac to simulated load on them.
i remember a case that this guy replace steering box and pump on a old ford truck , then he came to the shop and , the king pin was seized on one side
so it was so hard to steer . it wasn't the pump at all
isolating the components make it easy , just time consuming.

Auto Transport Service
Back