• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock looking EFI setup

andyf

Local time
4:52 AM
Reaction score
This engine is going into an A body car but the same idea would work for a B body car or any other Mopar with EFI and a mechanical water pump. I think I have it all sorted out now but it did require some invention.

Trick number one is that I'm using one of my new small diameter 36-1 trigger wheels that is bolted to the back side of a Doty pulley. That leaves the pulley in the stock location and the smaller trigger wheel fits under the factory water pump housing.

Trick number two is a low mount 60 amp Denso alternator. I can go with a low mount since it is EFI so there isn't a mechanical fuel pump. With the fuel pump gone I was able to move the alternator down and in so it fits nice and tight. That makes a nice package in a big block A body car.

Moving the alternator down also opens up a nice window to see the timing mark on the damper. I also developed a bracket for the Holley crank trigger sensor and mounted it on the billet timing cover.
DSC_3238 (Large).JPG
DSC_3241 (Large).JPG
DSC_3243 (Large).JPG

OK. I didn't get what the crank trigger wheel had to do with your heading of EFI and mechanical water pump heading until the last few lines. Otherwise I didn't see anything unique about the alternator or EFI setup that you didn't show anyway.

Looks like the alternator will fit.
My question is where does the upper bracket come from?
It looks like an ARE Denso kit, but I don't see that version on their website.
20180521_173655.jpg

Hello Andy ! would you use coil packs with this set up? and if you do what would be the benefit, cleaner looking engine bay?

This engine is going into an A body car but the same idea would work for a B body car or any other Mopar with EFI and a mechanical water pump. I think I have it all sorted out now but it did require some invention.

Trick number one is that I'm using one of my new small diameter 36-1 trigger wheels that is bolted to the back side of a Doty pulley. That leaves the pulley in the stock location and the smaller trigger wheel fits under the factory water pump housing.

Trick number two is a low mount 60 amp Denso alternator. I can go with a low mount since it is EFI so there isn't a mechanical fuel pump. With the fuel pump gone I was able to move the alternator down and in so it fits nice and tight. That makes a nice package in a big block A body car.

Moving the alternator down also opens up a nice window to see the timing mark on the damper. I also developed a bracket for the Holley crank trigger sensor and mounted it on the billet timing cover.
View attachment 702030 View attachment 702031 View attachment 702032

Did you make the trigger wheel? I am looking for one for my setup.

I feel like the alternator will hit the inner fender in that position.

The low mount alternator will clear in an A body and it has lots of room in a B body. Here is a picture of the larger 90 amp low mount kit in my Duster. There is another inch of room in a B body.
DSC_3182 (Large).JPG

Hello Andy ! would you use coil packs with this set up? and if you do what would be the benefit, cleaner looking engine bay?

Yes, I'll use coil packs and no distributor. Main benefit is a lower duty cycle for the coils. You also get rid of the distributor, have the ability to provide individual timing by cylinder and the plug wires are super short which reduces RF.

Looks like the alternator will fit.
My question is where does the upper bracket come from?
It looks like an ARE Denso kit, but I don't see that version on their website.View attachment 702084

This is a new kit that I'm working on. I've designed low mount kits for both 90 amp and the traditional 60 amp Denso alternators. BB only and there is a different kit for RB or B engines. If you already have a 60 amp Denso then you can convert to a low mount kit by just getting the brackets. The spacers and bolts are the same. I don't have any of this stuff for sale yet since I'm still waiting for some parts to be finished up. You can't use a mechanical fuel pump with the low mount kit so EFI or electric pump only.

So you will sell just the brackets for bozos like me who already have the high mount kit installed?
Any chance that C shaped bracket can be re-used and only one bracket would be needed?

Are any of these designed for a small block?

Auto Transport Service
Back