• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stock Valve covers and roller rockers?

cj's mopar

Local time
1:18 AM
Reaction score
I am thinking of drilling holes in my stock valve cover baffles to.clear 1.5 gold Crane rockers I am using
What else would you guys do if you wanted to keep it stock looking six pack motor

I don't have or want to run stock rockers .

Get a set of direct connection chrome valve covers. They are much higher than stock and look really
nice. I think you can still find them around.

The Direct Connection chrome valve covers were what was on my Superbird before restoration.

• Just use valve cover spacers. Drilling holes in the baffle plates will make them useless regarding the PCV side of things.

Thanks but looking to stay with stock and make work.

• Just use valve cover spacers. Drilling holes in the baffle plates will make them useless regarding the PCV side of things.
Question why would this cause any issues with pcv ? I am not oiling through the push rods .
Does the valve cover fill completely with oil when engine is running?

Drilling holes in the baffle plate would make it less effective as you don't want the PCV valve to have access to any raw oil ideally. It will just suck it away and you will burn oil.
The oil spraying around the valve cover would be more like a heavy mist at a guess.
There is a fair bit of oil up there - they can leak like a bastard. You really want to minimise what the PCV can hoover away.

That makes sense thanks
I am going to try some spacers then .
Just worried about getting them to not leak all over the place

I have done it without a problem with regular adjustable rockers. Figure out how much you need, maybe heat a spot red hot and dimple it if you only need 1/8" or so. The holes usually only needs to clear the adjusting screw on normal cams, so it can be pretty small.

You can try drilling out the spot welds and pull the baffle to gain more clearance but the factory got full penetration in 99% of the ones crossing my bench over the years. I've seen a few hacked up sets too, some with witness marks where the rockers still hit. The edges will lace you badly so be careful if you go that route.

Ran crane rockers on my max with stock four bolt covers. Dimpled the baffle with a ball peen. But my four bolt covers had breathers on both banks.

Yes I think I will try the red hot dimple method if drilling holes on pcv side is a bad idea .I can get the spot marked pretty easy with grease .
And then mark with scribe and then heat till red hot and dimple. . Seems doable

I have done it without a problem with regular adjustable rockers. Figure out how much you need, maybe heat a spot red hot and dimple it if you only need 1/8" or so. The holes usually only needs to clear the adjusting screw on normal cams, so it can be pretty small.
Are you saying that you drilled holes and did not have issue with pcv?

Yes 1/2" right where the screw is. You still have way more baffling than aftermarket junk has.

Double gaskets and comp cams pro mag rocker arms are how this is accomplished.

I wanted stock looking valve covers too for my 500 inch B based stroker (to look like a stock 383).

Anyway, I bought a set of reproduction valve covers. The baffle looks like this when stock:
20200521_233316.jpg

I drilled out the spot welds and then put a light bend in the baffle right where the rockers hit.
20200521_235558.jpg

Here is the baffle back in the valve cover (but before welding)
20200522_002746.jpg

At the moment, my stroker engine project is on hold while I work on my 73 Road Runner, but when the engine is done I will use these valve covers for a stock appearance with clearance.

Auto Transport Service
Back