• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storm rolled through and we took a direct hit from lightning bolt.

Charles Cook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
Holy crap. It was real bad and cracking through the house. We smelled something electrical burning and the ceiling fan lights started melting. They’re LEDs or was !!!!
FC5EBEEC-07A2-4E61-8C2D-8CC8854D80B8.jpeg

I’m glad I was home, the wife and grandson would have flipped out from the electrical smell. I’m sure they would have panicked.

Holy crap! Glad everyone is ok!
Any other evidence of damage to the electrical in the house?
Yeah, the SE has seen more than our share of some violent stuff the last week or so for sure.

If you are saying it just happened, stay alert. Wood can smolder for hours.

Holy crap! Glad everyone is ok!
Any other evidence of damage to the electrical in the house?
Yeah, the SE has seen more than our share of some violent stuff the last week or so for sure.
Thanks, I checked all the panel boxes and in the attic and everything looks to be okay. I have about 16 light bulbs too replace tomorrow.

Just an opinion, but I'd shut down all power
to your home, and have an electrician
evaluate the integrity of all the wiring
circuits. You may not know you have a
problem that can show up at a later time.
Your insurance company would probably
want you to do this anyway.
Better safe than sorry.....

A few years back, my wife and daughter were backing out of the driveway when a loud crack of lightning/thunder occured. My daughter said the house had been struck by lightning, my wife discounted it saying you're seeing things. I came home there were shingles all over the back yard. My 80" TV wouldn't come on, our power recliner couch wouldn't work, several light bulbs were blown, too. Had a guy get up on the roof, and there was a 6" diameter hole, if not larger than that and it had hit a circuit in the attic, too. Cost a bunch, but got everything back to normal. TV was 300 to fix, lost a brand new 40 in we had just bought for the bedroom, and bought a power transformer for the couch and it started working again.
Good luck, glad you are OK.

Sleeping in a tent trailer at a family reunion when I was a kid, I saw a St Elmo's Fire travel down the copper rope of a lightning rod system on a farm house. I was asleep, but there was a crack and down it went, very slowly.

Just an opinion, but I'd shut down all power
to your home, and have an electrician
evaluate the integrity of all the wiring
circuits. You may not know you have a
problem that can show up at a later time.
Your insurance company would probably
want you to do this anyway.
Better safe than sorry.....
Yes, you should have them check the line in connections as well. Ya' don't need a loose one flaring up on ya'.

Wow glad it wasn't worse...
Good thing you were home, level heads prevail...

check stuff out really well
maybe add some more earth grounds/rods
if you're in an area that gets lots of lightning &/or other severe weather events

consult a well-qualified electrician at a min.
@kiwigtx (?)

is that house equipt with a lightning rod ? to earth ground

must have been crazy, it could be scary as hell
Mother Nature is a real bitch at times

Wow glad it wasn't worse...
Good thing you were home, level heads prevail...

check stuff out really well
maybe add some more earth grounds/rods
if you're in an area that gets lots of lightning &/or other severe weather events

consult a well-qualified electrician at a min.
@kiwigtx (?)

is that house equipt with a lightning rod ? to earth ground

must have been crazy, it could be scary as hell
Mother Nature is a real bitch at times
Yes, I do have the house well grounded. That's why it was not able to do more damage. I have 12 foot ground rods on all of my panel boxes. No lightning rods but I'm thinking about some now for sure.

Dang Mike glad the house didnt burn down. Yep the wind here took my pop up tent and folded it.

Dang Mike glad the house didnt burn down. Yep the wind here took my pop up tent and folded it.
It was real nasty for a little while. I had to replace about half of the light bulbs inside and all of them on the outside. I don’t no about the push for the LED bulbs because they melt and can ignite. The glass ones just burst. Lol

I got more wind and lightning then rain. Power did go out for a second. Dam did not know about that on the LEDs

Auto Transport Service
Back