• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STR 12 runs

hemidart1

Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
It’s alive!
The STR 12 is running and running great thanks to two of best Mopar restoration guys on the east coast Mike Mcdonald and Gary Coates!
So much custom work and fabrication needed to get these going- distributor doesn’t fit (vacuum advance hits needs to be rotated 180) 273 valve covers needed to be modified, needed two linkages to make one, hoses don’t fit from the old intake - needed to make custom fittings and new hoses, custom made the air breathers by cutting down slant six tops ( nothing we could find off the shelf fit there is so little clearance ) and the biggest nightmare was the oil sending unit that was buried behind the intake. He had to make a set up to bring the unit to the top level of the intake - otherwise you can’t access it.

As far as the first drive- wow does this thing pull - like a tunnel ram !
76B81C2D-0D06-4197-B20C-4BF23DF0A6EC.jpeg
0325BA2F-4F3B-44DB-9A4E-92D0BEC01851.jpeg
C0E48555-A72A-413F-9FCA-99A7168FD7EF.jpeg

Nice job, looks really nice. Should run great above 3000RPM with those long intake passages.

You are right- not much under 3 grand but then pulls hard to the redline

I feel like my eyes are playing tricks on me. Not used to seeing that type of a setup on a small block. I know nothing about this project that you did, so a few questions...

Why the two carbs in that configuration? Is that intake an out of the box product? That seems like it would be a lot fuel for a small block. What is the displacement of the engine? And lastly, why did you opt for that configuration?

It indeed looks like a lot of work, but it looks cool, it's super tidy and sounds awesome! You've got something nobody else has.

I used two Quick Fuel 450 cfms. The intake is an Edelbrock STR-12. Not many were made or are still around. As far as too much fuel- no doesn’t seem that way. It runs really good.
And lastly- I wanted to have a cross rammed small block and have a top end no one else has (unless you happen to see one on that rare occasion but I have been going to national shows for years and have never seen one on a car).
Engine is a 360

I used two Quick Fuel 450 cfms. The intake is an Edelbrock STR-12. Not many were made or are still around. As far as too much fuel- no doesn’t seem that way. It runs really good.
And lastly- I wanted to have a cross rammed small block and have a top end no one else has (unless you happen to see one on that rare occasion but I have been going to national shows for years and have never seen one on a car).
Engine is a 360

I spied your window sticker. Nice touch! :thumbsup:

It's a wonder that those air cleaners work on the narrower manifold. How's it for removing the valve covers?

Those are slant 6 air cleaners cut down. And the valve covers had to be slightly modified

Auto Transport Service
Back