• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Street/strip shocks for SS springs

69clone

Local time
10:37 PM
Reaction score
Wondering what you guys recommend for rear shocks. I seen some of ya'll just use ram shocks and c body shocks as well as the obvious racing adjustable shocks. Will I benefit using an adjustable shock?

Wondering what you guys recommend for rear shocks. I seen some of ya'll just use ram shocks and c body shocks as well as the obvious racing adjustable shocks. Will I benefit using an adjustable shock?
Will you be racing the car at all, or just street cruiser

Will you be racing the car at all, or just street cruiser
Yes sorry it will be raced quite often. More so a race car but I do have a few windy roads near my house.
It's a 440 stroker, reverse Vb 727 and Dana 60

I'll have to check them out. With super stock springs I need 24" fully extended correct?

I'll have to check them out. With super stock springs I need 24" fully extended correct?

I'm running SS springs myself. I believe the issue is that the SS springs raise the rear end of the car quite a bit putting it near the top of the stock spring travel. This is why most people with SS springs need a longer rear shock or shock extensions. I've added 2" lowering blocks, so my rear end sits about stock height, so I use standard length rear shocks. Make sense?

Ok yeah I assumed it had to do with the fact that the springs raised the rear more than regular springs.
I'm running SS springs myself. I believe the issue is that the SS springs raise the rear end of the car quite a bit putting it near the top of the stock spring travel. This is why most people with SS springs need a longer rear shock or shock extensions. I've added 2" lowering blocks, so my rear end sits about stock height, so I use standard length rear shocks. Make sense?

It can on a more "race", like yours. For a street car shock length does not really come into play. HOWEVER the replacement shocks are not set for the same lengths "as produced" to consolidate numbers. It helps to check to see what lengths you need and buy accordingly.

It can on a more "race", like yours. For a street car shock length does not really come into play. HOWEVER the replacement shocks are not set for the same lengths "as produced" to consolidate numbers. It helps to check to see what lengths you need and buy accordingly.
Maybe a stupid question but is there a good way to measure? Do you just lift the body til the wheels start to lift off the ground?

I like to measure with the weight of the car "on the ground" and compare to the shock that you have. You would like the shock to have room to compress and extend. Some catalogs have their specs in the back, compare to the stock shock and see if a slightly longer or shorter shock would fit mid-travel better.

Now according to all the old information on SS springs and the drag strip, if it hooks right the rear of the car will raise on acceleration. Filming shows the raise and the time slips show the result. This information was what Dick Landy was proving at that time.

Ok thanks I spent a little time looking last night the qa1 are nice a little more than I was hoping to spend but if they work it's not like I'll have to buy something down the road.
I also see a lot of people like the rancho with the ss springs but can't find them for sale anywhere.

Auto Transport Service
Back