• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck on the couch, no beer in the fridge

1STMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:53 PM
Reaction score
Sciatica has one again paid a visit.
I was installing the window regulator
while sitting on the the running board,
turned wrong and immediately knew
what was going on. With the wifes' help
it took 20 minutes for me to be able to
stand up. Walking was impossible, so
she wheeled me into the house on an
old office chair that we keep in the
garage. Quite a feat considering she herself
is recovering from surgery.
The pain is virtually unbearable especially
with the accompanied muscle spasms.
I was able to get situated on the couch, and
with a couch pillow for lumbar support, was
able to get the majority of the pain to
subside, knowing this will be where I'm
stuck for the next 3 days.
Dried my tears, and asked the wife to please
bring me a beer. Her reply from the kitchen...
"we're out"....

Well, that car ain’t drive itself to the store to get more beer, now is it?

Last edited:
Very sorry to read this, sir - I know your pain, been dealing with sciatica as well (caused by a degenerative
disc, made worse by an injury about 10 years ago).
It's a terrible, almost unbearable pain, coupled with a fire that makes one nauseous to boot and like
you describe, at its' worst it'll feel like you've lost command of your leg, too.

I take gabapentin twice a day for it (the script is for 3x, but I always try to take less) to keep the fire down
in that giant sciatic nerve going down my right leg; further, what helps a lot is some old chiropractic moves I do
to "pop" that particular disc and relieve the pressure on it, in order to get it back in place.
That relieves the pressure on the nerve tremendously.
I learned by observing the chiropractor years ago and taught myself how to do it, since daily trips to one of
those guys are cost prohibitive. Taught the wife how to do it to me also, for when I can't.

All of this together makes the condition livable most of the time...
But the problem is that the condition deteriorates over time and after all this time, now sometimes the right
leg doesn't quite do what it's told (fine motor skill issues) as the disc continues to deteriorate.
They tell me the chances are about 60% of surgery helping on the disc - and there's always the chance of a
boo-boo anytime someone messes around your spine, so I pass on that and just live with it.

I just toss it in my king-sized pain bucket and get on with things....whaddaya gonna do?
I hope you get to feeling better soon! :thumbsup:

Well, that car ain’t drive itself to the store to get more beer, no is it?
Wife can't drive due her surgery recovery,
and I can't move. I don't trust anyone when
it involves a case of handing over $$, even if
it's just for beer....
Maybe self-driving cars aren't such a bad
idea if they have authorization to your
bank account? (sarcasm inserted).

Last edited:
Very sorry to read this, sir - I know your pain, been dealing with sciatica as well (caused by a degenerative
disc, made worse by an injury about 10 years ago).
It's a terrible, almost unbearable pain, coupled with a fire that makes one nauseous to boot and like
you describe, at its' worst it'll feel like you've lost command of your leg, too.

I take gabapentin twice a day for it (the script is for 3x, but I always try to take less) to keep the fire down
in that giant sciatic nerve going down my right leg; further, what helps a lot is some old chiropractic moves I do
to "pop" that particular disc and relieve the pressure on it, in order to get it back in place.
That relieves the pressure on the nerve tremendously.
I learned by observing the chiropractor years ago and taught myself how to do it, since daily trips to one of
those guys are cost prohibitive. Taught the wife how to do it to me also, for when I can't.

All of this together makes the condition livable most of the time...
But the problem is that the condition deteriorates over time and after all this time, now sometimes the right
leg doesn't quite do what it's told (fine motor skill issues) as the disc continues to deteriorate.
They tell me the chances are about 60% of surgery helping on the disc - and there's always the chance of a
boo-boo anytime someone messes around your spine, so I pass on that and just live with it.

I just toss it in my king-sized pain bucket and get on with things....whaddaya gonna do?
I hope you get to feeling better soon! :thumbsup:
Thanks for your concern.
It generally takes about 3 days of being
immobile before I'm able to get up and
gingerly move around a bit. Surgery for
me is out of the question. I have a
paralyzed braceal plexus (left arm/shoulder)
from a previous accident. This was actually
the cause of the sciatica. Over
compensation using the right side.
Chiropractors shy away from paralysis
injuries.

Thanks for your concern.
It generally takes about 3 days of being
immobile before I'm able to get up and
gingerly move around a bit. Surgery for
me is out of the question. I have a
paralyzed braceal plexus (left arm/shoulder)
from a previous accident. This was actually
the cause of the sciatica. Over
compensation using the right side.
Chiropractors shy away from paralysis
injuries.
I wasn't suggesting for a moment I could be of any help for you, sir - merely commiserating by way
of detailing my own similar situation.

I wasn't suggesting for a moment I could be of any help for you, sir - merely commiserating by way
of detailing my own similar situation.
I understand. Each case is different.
As you also suffer from this malady.
A sense of humor goes a long way,
at least for me. Just trying to get
over this episode.
Out of beer, and no way to replenish the
supply.
I do have some 1858 and some 500mg
ibuprofen. Still gonna hurt like hell for
about 3 days.

Steroid shots don’t work?
Tried every regimine. Still average an attack
about every three months. Had shots,
physical therapy (made it worse).
I'm as much a rusted out wreck as '69
Charger R/T sitting in a junk yard with a
tree growing up thru the hood.

My dad is going through the same and said the shots didn’t help.

Sorry to hear.
I can attest to staying practically immoblle
until the nerve has a chance to calm down.
No amount of physical therapy, shots, or
mind altering drugs seem to help until
the inflammation passes. Until then,
pissin' in a bottle is a sure bet.
I hate when these occurancies disrupt
a build I've near to complete.

Pretty good analogy, right there. :thumbsup:

As this is primarily a "wiring" (nerve system) issue, the typical physical therapies don't
do much to help - and as bad as the pain and burning is, a lot of folks get on the pain meds
trying to get relief, any relief, out of desperation....
In the end, I was blessed to find out gabapentin offered a level of "tolerance" to it, but only
because it's a neurontin - meds specifically for nerve inflammation and pain - but the trade-off
is that the leg gets to a certain level of numb that sometimes leads to other issues.
Other than that yeah, over the counter stuff and ride it out...all you can do.

Sciatica has one again paid a visit.
I was installing the window regulator
while sitting on the the running board,
turned wrong and immediately knew
what was going on. With the wifes' help
it took 20 minutes for me to be able to
stand up. Walking was impossible, so
she wheeled me into the house on an
old office chair that we keep in the
garage. Quite a feat considering she herself
is recovering from surgery.
The pain is virtually unbearable especially
with the accompanied muscle spasms.
I was able to get situated on the couch, and
with a couch pillow for lumbar support, was
able to get the majority of the pain to
subside, knowing this will be where I'm
stuck for the next 3 days.
Dried my tears, and asked the wife to please
bring me a beer. Her reply from the kitchen...
"we're out"....
I know your pain pard. Had a disk insert itself into my sciatic nerve in ’07 while setting my luggage and laptop on the bed in my hotel. NEVER knew what pain was until then, and I had injured myself enough before needing surgeries. Since you maybe have some reading time, allow me to give ya my story for some entertainment.

I had a training session arranged the next morning for 130 employees in the city where my daughter was attending college. Topic? Ergonomics (yep, lol.) My daughter worked part time at this hotel so arranged to lodge there and she checked me in. I sat on edge of the bed opened my laptop leaning forward to reach it – BAM – like struck by a bolt of lightening went flat on the bed. Any slight movement – pain-FULL! After a while tried getting up to reach my phone, nope, tried crawling, nope. Not sure how, but made it to the chair next to my phone. Sat there noticing this position was about only thing tolerable. Pretended to ‘drive’ to see if this was doable. Seemed it was. Called my daughter asking her to come to the room soon as she could. When she got the story, she wanted to call an ambulance.

Said no, pack up my stuff and put it in the car, drive it as close to the door as possible and help me get in it. Was on the 3rd floor, car in the parking garage. Took a long while for her to help me get to the car. Was sweating bullets, had to stop countless times to quell the searing pain. Once in the driver’s seat, some relief. About a four-hour drive back home hoping I didn’t need to make a piss stop. I did and this was a show to get to the restroom or piss in my pants; but the four advil’s helped slightly. Got home around mid-night with my wife helping drag me in the house. Lucky I got some injections about 48 hours later. Fantastic relief; but surgery couple weeks later.

So – I got some religion about back injuries having injured it before, NOTHING like this, though. Hearing stories some wouldn’t believe thinking the guy must not have a pain tolerance…bullshit.

Side note: Remember an old boss I had who would knock people who he accused of faking injuries unless there was blood. That POS was a grand-nephew of the company founder, sitting in his office duded up in starched dress shirts all day reading the market in WSJ. Thought if only, he could get about ten-minutes of that pain and re-review his takes, lol.

Hope you recover quickly and can get some beer.

Oh man, sorry for your pain. I suffer from back problems but here lately, things have been decent even though there are times when things look like getting off the pot might take awhile. And you're blessed as you have someone that can help you for the times when you can't get up. Mr. Arthritis isn't helping things either.....

Get better soon...

good luck on getting that beer :drinks:

I know your pain pard. Had a disk insert itself into my sciatic nerve in ’07 while setting my luggage and laptop on the bed in my hotel. NEVER knew what pain was until then, and I had injured myself enough before needing surgeries. Since you maybe have some reading time, allow me to give ya my story for some entertainment.

I had a training session arranged the next morning for 130 employees in the city where my daughter was attending college. Topic? Ergonomics (yep, lol.) My daughter worked part time at this hotel so arranged to lodge there and she checked me in. I sat on edge of the bed opened my laptop leaning forward to reach it – BAM – like struck by a bolt of lightening went flat on the bed. Any slight movement – pain-FULL! After a while tried getting up to reach my phone, nope, tried crawling, nope. Not sure how, but made it to the chair next to my phone. Sat there noticing this position was about only thing tolerable. Pretended to ‘drive’ to see if this was doable. Seemed it was. Called my daughter asking her to come to the room soon as she could. When she got the story, she wanted to call an ambulance.

Said no, pack up my stuff and put it in the car, drive it as close to the door as possible and help me get in it. Was on the 3rd floor, car in the parking garage. Took a long while for her to help me get to the car. Was sweating bullets, had to stop countless times to quell the searing pain. Once in the driver’s seat, some relief. About a four-hour drive back home hoping I didn’t need to make a piss stop. I did and this was a show to get to the restroom or piss in my pants; but the four advil’s helped slightly. Got home around mid-night with my wife helping drag me in the house. Lucky I got some injections about 48 hours later. Fantastic relief; but surgery couple weeks later.

So – I got some religion about back injuries having injured it before, NOTHING like this, though. Hearing stories some wouldn’t believe thinking the guy must not have a pain tolerance…bullshit.

Side note: Remember an old boss I had who would knock people who he accused of faking injuries unless there was blood. That POS was a grand-nephew of the company founder, sitting in his office duded up in starched dress shirts all day reading the market in WSJ. Thought if only, he could get about ten-minutes of that pain and re-review his takes, lol.

Hope you recover quickly and can get some beer.
Thanks for the read, Ron H.
I agree that "I have a bad back" is looked
upon by some, with skepticism.

Auto Transport Service
Back