• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sudden oil loss, max wedge clone

Pull the plugs & see if there's any deposits... It could look oily but modern oil sometimes leaves a white powdery deposit... Get a borescope, pull the carbs & try to look in the ports that have deposits... Could be valve seals, or it could be the intake gaskets...

The noise is probably/hopefully your imagination, two quarts low isn't good but it's not that bad either, there was still three or four quarts depending or what pan you have...

Yes it's my baby and it has never sat outside, but local shops don't have room to keep anything inside. Might have to pull it myself and take the motor somewhere.

As for pulling plug wires just figured if I found one or more that made no difference those would be the cylinders to look closer at.
Your getting ahead of yourself, try easy first.... If that fails be ready for major but don't rush it...

I can assure you that pulling spark plugs in my 440 Roadrunner is no holiday, BUT if you have a ring problem THAT spark plug is definitely going to look different.
I'm sorry you're having trouble, but the BEST thing to do is get an accurate diagnosis, and I believe visual spark plug inspection is the best first step, AND if you have a compression test kit, have it handy.
If you find a really grungy plug compared to the rest, do a compression test on that cylinder and a couple of more, and that may tell the tale.
Hoping for an easy but effective fix, I'm...
panda popcorn (1).gif

If you have, or can borrow an inspection camera, I’d be trying to get a look down that intake manifold runner.
It’s as likely sucking oil past the intake gasket as anything else.

I can try, but I think I tried that before with the cross ram and could not get in there to see anything. Intake and gasket were all redone this spring when I had the wedge heads redone.

Would intake gasket affect compression? I am thinking if I check compression and that cylinder is lower then the rings likely went

Could intake gasket burn two quarts in 140 miles and only in one cylinder?

Thanks.

I once had a car suddenly burn a quart every hundred miles. I was on a honeymoon trip. Got home, pulled it apart, broken oil control ring. The smoke was obvious from inside the car.

I can try, but I think I tried that before with the cross ram and could not get in there to see anything. Intake and gasket were all redone this spring when I had the wedge heads redone.

Would intake gasket affect compression? I am thinking if I check compression and that cylinder is lower then the rings likely went

Could intake gasket burn two quarts in 140 miles and only in one cylinder?

Thanks.
Bad intake gasket won't effect compression. If you have paper head gaskets note if they feel loose if you remove intake. On my Hemi crossram I tighten intake bolts 6 or more times to compress the paper gaskets completely. Did a retorque after a year of sitting one was looser than the rest. I go over them until they break. Break means to me a little tighter than before.

If your oil ring fails the oil on the compression rings will seal the rings so the compression will be good... I've seen an intake gasket suck four quarts in a hundred miles without smoking.... The fact it's been apart actually give me more reason to suspect a failed intake gasket....

I think you could snake a camera through the bolt access plugs...

I had a '71 Dodge Charger 500....WP23N1A****** 383 HP, 727B TF, 3.55 Sure-grip, A/C high level trim pkg...bought the car new. Ran well but after 500+ miles, it needed a qt of oil. 600 miles later it needed another qt. 300 miles later it developed a miss. Took it to the dealer....found #5 plug oil fouled. Dealer changed all plugs, changed oil and filter sent me on the road....same thing occured 500 miles later...#5 plug fouled. Dealer tore the engine down....said problem was all the ring gaps lined up on #5 cylinder.....(as a side bar....because the cylinder bores are honed in an x pattern and unless the rings are pinned, the rings will rotate as the piston travels)....but I didn't realize this at the time and believed that BS. While the engine was being reassembled, the dealer installed Perfect Seal valve stem seals both heads as a precaution. When reassembled the engine, the technician found a crack in #5 intake port floor of the head casting in the lifter valley....allowing oil splash to be sucked into #5 cylinder and over time, fouled the plug. Had to replace the driver's side head, machine the guides for the PC seals and reassemble the engine......all done at zero cost to me and the dealer provided a car for 3 weeks while mine was being fixed......there was absolutely no tail pipe smoke....just oil consumption and when the #5 plug fouled out .....moral of the story....CHECK THE OIL....Frequently .....
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Ok so it is possible to suck oil and not smoke out the pipes. Can anyone recommend a better intake gasket set for 413 with max wedge intake (real not reproduction)?

No cracks in heads, they are repro max wedge heads and just had them fully done including checking for cracks etc. Reliable machine shop with mopar background.

Thanks

Ok so it is possible to suck oil and not smoke out the pipes. Can anyone recommend a better intake gasket set for 413 with max wedge intake (real not reproduction)?

No cracks in heads, they are repro max wedge heads and just had them fully done including checking for cracks etc. Reliable machine shop with mopar background.

Thanks
I use Superformance gaskets for everything on my engine. There are a few vendors that carry them. You really need to do a compression test to at least see if you have a weak hole.
Gus

Thanks
I've always used Fel Pro or Victor Rientz but many racers seem to use & like Superformance gaskets... They offer Max wedge port size gaskets in .031 & .062 thickness...

FWIW since the engine that used 4 quarts of oil in less than 100 miles (back in 1984) I have a sealer that I always use on intake gaskets & it's never failed me....

Amazon product ASIN B0083BWULK
It's the stuff Honda motorcycle cases are assembled with, they don't use a gasket & they don't leak.... It's sticky but runny, it never fully dries... Weird stuff but it works very well....

Thanks
Out of curiosity., did the shop use ultrasonic or zyglow spot check aerosol material? And do you have the results...documents or ultra sonic thickness measurements? Just asking...as long as you're satisfied....
BOB RENTON

I've always used Fel Pro or Victor Rientz but many racers seem to use & like Superformance gaskets... They offer Max wedge port size gaskets in .031 & .062 thickness...

[/URL]

FWIW since the engine that used 4 quarts of oil in less than 100 miles (back in 1984) I have a sealer that I always use on intake gaskets & it's never failed me....

Amazon product ASIN B0083BWULK
It's the stuff Honda motorcycle cases are assembled with, they don't use a gasket & they don't leak.... It's sticky but runny, it never fully dries... Weird stuff but it works very well....
I used felpro 1218's most recently. I won't be able to work on my baby for a while, work interferes LOL. Will let you know what I find out will check compression, intake bolt tightness, try to scope it. Hope it is just a gasket

I ordered superperformance in boith thicknesses and will see what I can figure out over the weekend. Thanks

Check the manifold fit without a gasket if you get that far. Maybe a regular 4 bll intake so you can see if there's a gap at the bottom of the runners. Having head work done, did they resurface them any that might have changed the fit? Block resurfacing will change the perfect fit of the intake also.

Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back