• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super stock springs-How to install?

I'm wanting to put SS Springs on my 1962 Plymouth Sport Fury 413 and I know different front hangers are required. My front hangers were welded in conjunction with some frame boxing/ stiffening. Where can I get the needed dimensions for cutting and re-welding the front hangers for the SS Springs?
Thanks,
al_wildman

Hmmm. Just reread this post. Which car are you mounting the springs on..this one, or the coronet...or both?
Either one the front hangers are usually bolted on. If you can locate the original bolt holes, and a stock hanger, you should be able to measure things.
Wheel/tire size, rear axle, and anything else that affects how the car sets will influance where your springs need to mount up. Mine is all just stock...per say.

i put super stock springs on my 63 Plymouth and did not change front hangers bolted right in on 62 to 65 b bodies you do not have to change the front hangers with super stock springs

I'm wanting to put SS Springs on my 1962 Plymouth Sport Fury 413 and I know different front hangers are required. My front hangers were welded in conjunction with some frame boxing/ stiffening. Where can I get the needed dimensions for cutting and re-welding the front hangers for the SS Springs?
Thanks,
al_wildman

'62 and '63 B bodies use a 20 inch long front segment to the spring which are the same as the SS springs, so you will not need different hangers. Different hangers are required on later B bodies, which use longer front spring segments from the factory.

You will also want to get a spring with a 35 inch rear spring segment. This means you will want either a set of true "A Body" springs or "E Body" springs. The "B Body" springs will have a 36 inch rear segment.

EDIT: One thought to consider, if you run an A body set it will use a 7/8" bushing for the shackles, so keep that in mind. E body springs should use 1 inch bushings, which is what I believe is from the factory on your car.

Last edited:
Ahh! All the gory little details.

There's some mighty good folks here.

Well hell. Just finish a long-winded deal, and I guess I type too slow. Got timed out. No worry.

My problem is I'm not going to be able to simply "change the front hangers" since my current front hangers were welded when the frame was boxed.. I need dimensions so I can cut/ re-weld my front hangers in the correct location for super sports springs.

When installing these new S/S springs, remember, pinion snubbers and S/S springs are a big no no. Throw that pinion snubber on the swap meet table.

My problem is I'm not going to be able to simply "change the front hangers" since my current front hangers were welded when the frame was boxed.. I need dimensions so I can cut/ re-weld my front hangers in the correct location for super sports springs.

The stock location is correct provided you are running the right springs. Were the hangers moved or just welded to the stock location?

When installing these new S/S springs, remember, pinion snubbers and S/S springs are a big no no. Throw that pinion snubber on the swap meet table.
That is the first time I have heard NOT to use a pinion snubber. Can you explain why not to use one?................................MO

Anyone know where I can buy a set of stock shackles for the rear of a 64 fury to install SS springs? I appreciate this thread being started, as of us need help on installing new SS springs.

Can't remember where I found my stock rear hangers, might do a search for 'em, or a trip to the junk yard.
With those SS springs mounted up right, you definately need the snubber. When the springs wind-up during a hard launch, the nose of the third member rotates up. The snubber limits that rise, and if not there, the nose 'could' bang into the floor.

Al - Understand your deal. If bottom line, I'll take measurements off mine, since it's all stock, to give you something to start with. Another wrench in the works is, I recall the finished angle of the rear hangers need to be so-so, to keep things from binding.

Not to Pi$$ in the pot BUT with super stock springs the pinion snubber is hard pressed to work. the deal with these springs is the R'side has more veaf"s than the L'side. But also thay are HALF leaf's That are Front of the axle center bolt. This forces the rear Down for traction under wind up ( like a pinion snubber) But these things need free range to work. Also for best performance it good to use the heavyer L' side front T'bar. It helps load the RR under Launch.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. Keep in mind, mine is a 64 Ply Sport Fury, with all stock set-up on a 8 3/4 rear.
Using the bottom of the rear frame rail, right next to where the spring front mount should be, the 'center' of the bolt hole is 2" up from the bottom of the rail.
I don't know what all was done on your mount, so if the original mounting flange is still there, or located at the bottom of the same frame rail, there are two lining holes around 1" diameter. Either use the mounting flange, or the REAR line-up hole's back edge.
The center of the spring mount hole is towards the rear 2 1/2", from either of those two points.
As far as finished set-up, the angle of my rear hangers is 1" offset to the rear.

Last note, I suggest when you bolt up the new springs, mount up all the hardware loose, and put the car on the ground, before you tighten any of them.

If you are putting the springs on a 64 or 65 B Body, you cant use the stock front hanger. If you do, the axle will be moved forward and the rear shackle will not fit properly. There are lots of places to get the proper front hanger. If you use the correct front hanger, there should be no issues with the shackle. I've always used the adjustable snubber with the SS springs on my cars. Works for me.

If you are putting the springs on a 64 or 65 B Body, you cant use the stock front hanger. If you do, the axle will be moved forward and the rear shackle will not fit properly. There are lots of places to get the proper front hanger. If you use the correct front hanger, there should be no issues with the shackle. I've always used the adjustable snubber with the SS springs on my cars. Works for me.
X2

Wow. Didn't mean to pour any salt in the wounds. In Al's case, he might not be able to bolt up stock front mounts.
Anyway, that link I gave is from the horse's mouth.
Just trying to help the guy out.

It's all good brother !:VB toast: The nice or I should say Best thing about this site is you can ask a Q or for help and get a ton of very good info ! It not always going to be the same. BUT Very Good info! What works for some dosn't work for others.

Anyone know where I can buy a set of stock shackles for the rear of a 64 fury to install SS springs? I appreciate this thread being started, as of us need help on installing new SS springs.

I did a quick look at a few Mopar outlets, and they are pricy. (Must be new and improved) Check the Mopar part #s, but I think most mid to late sixties B body cars will have them. Be alot cheaper at a junk yard, and get new bushings and bolts.

Lol, but that's just my warped opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Roger all that, wedge69!

Auto Transport Service
Back