• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Surface rust on the floorboards - How should I treat?

69RRberkeley

Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
Poor Car got soaked during winter rains. I Pulled out the interior and I'm seeing a bit of rust forming.
Two Questions:
1) How should i treat the metal that is exposed, and is showing a bit of rust

2) I Dynamated most of the floor, should I be concerned about the floor pan underneath?

Thanks for your help
Olaf

Wow thats a tough one. Do u think there is moisture below the dynamat? If so it is not a good thing. Dry it all up would be the first step and assess the situation after that. For exposed areas i would wire wheel the rust off, clean the area well and use some sort of rust preventative and paint.

Wow thats a tough one. Do u think there is moisture below the dynamat? If so it is not a good thing. Dry it all up would be the first step and assess the situation after that. For exposed areas i would wire wheel the rust off, clean the area well and use some sort of rust preventative and paint.

Your car looks bad *** in your avatar picture. Great looking car.

Hopefully the Dynamat sealed out the water. Did you coat the floor with anything before putting down the Dynamat? If not I woiuld peel it up and clean up any loose rust, prep the floor for paint and coat with a direct to rusty metal paint. Rustoleum Hammered finish paint, POR15, Eastwood makes a product for this, as well as others do. Basically you want to encapsulate the tight rust and if no air and moisture can get to it the rust is inert. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back