• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swapping out ring and pinions

Aesellitto

Local time
8:38 PM
Reaction score
I have a differential question for everyone. I have a 72 charger with the 8.25 rear end. The car has 2.73 gears in it right now. I have a set 3.55 gears at home I want to put in it. Do I need to replace the carrier to make the swap?

No. It is a direct ring and pinion swap. I just put a 321 onto a 271 open carrier. I did need a new crush sleeve to get the preload right. You may want to replace the pinion seal while you're in there

Last edited:
No. It is a direct ring and pinion swap. I just put a 321 onto a 271 open carrier. I did need a new crush sleeve to get the preload right. You may want to replace the pinion seal while you're in there
Awesome! I just did not want to tear the axle apart only to find out the hard way that I needed a different carrier. Thanks for the info.

I have a differential question for everyone. I have a 72 charger with the 8.25 rear end. The car has 2.73 gears in it right now. I have a set 3.55 gears at home I want to put in it. Do I need to replace the carrier to make the swap?
I have done this with my 8 3/4 rear on my 73 charger Rallye , I would however recommend , changing out the roller axle adjustment bearings to solid green bearings , I also ditched the crush sleeve and put Ina solid spacer with shims , do it set it once and finished , I'm changing out my orig 3:23 to 3:91 on a 28 inch tall rear tire , 550 horse 340 , full race with 3500 stall built 727 and the 8 3/4 is built bullet proof arp carrier bolts and studs and nuts and up grading the u joint straps to billet solid and stronger with arp bolts as well , build it right build it once !

Auto Transport Service
Back