• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Switched from wanting a 4 link to Caltracs in the course of this thread.But sliders or shackles?

Looks like it was the LEFT lane FTW.

B-Body I would assume? Since I have a 70 Roadrunner?
What I'm not sure about is the "lift". -1, 0, +1 inch...
That’s what I figured too. The one guy on here said he went from SS springs (pretty sure they’re all A-body length) to split so just wondering if Caltrac has both lengths. I have the a-body set and the hanger extenders but I would like the longer spring (which works better I understand) this will be on my 66 Belvedere.

updated video with viking double adj. shocks
Did the Vikings make much difference?
with bias slicks, no with pro bracket radials Yes
Hey Jim!
I have double adjustable Viking shocks on the front, should I just jump in and get the Viking double adjustable shocks on the rear too?
I had commented a long time ago on the Max Wedge and:lowdown: your car.
I didn't realize you were on FBBO.
So if I am going to try to run a drag radial as often as possible, or if that is self-defeating, run drag radials on the street where my car has been spending 90% of its time and a "track only" tire at the track, is it better to jump in with sliders from the get-go, or like some suggest, just go with shackles and take it from there?
I'm not trying to win the "Fastest Leaf Springs Car" award, but I don't want to miss out on something that LOOKS like a no brainer.
Oh, and I doubled your number of subscribers :D

I would recommend the vikings over the calvert shocks on the rear. You will have way more adjustments to help with the car 'hooking'.

Pittsburgh 2019.jpg

Nss guy i have to say your ride looks great should have that pic up on the wall in your shop. Or better yet put it up in the bedroom.

Thanks bearman, that was this past September, 1.40 60ft still sorting out the vikings and pro bracket radials. I think I can get it to 60ft in the high 1.30's with some more adjustments. I have all winter to think it over.

Good luck with it I'll be watching and learning.

I would recommend the vikings over the calvert shocks on the rear. You will have way more adjustments to help with the car 'hooking'.
The main purpose of the slider is to eliminate the shackles in order to keep a constant spring rate. It’s an unnecessary complication at this point. You don’t need it.
If that were a video of caltracs, monos and shackles, you’ll see something that looks nearly identical. If you were chasing NHRA records in a leaf spring limited class, or trying to set the leaf spring world record, I’d recommend them. You don’t need them. They just complicate the installation and increase the cost in your situation with no real return on investment.
I am not asking about the slider brackets again EDIT (in an effort to) find someone who tells me to get them, EDIT (I just want to learn more about them) but since NSS Guy uses them, I'm asking you about them NSS Guy.
What is your perspective on sliders since you use them, and should I start with shackles or just jump in with sliders from the get go?
If I change my habits from rarely going to the track, mostly cruising to monthly car shows and the week of Cruisin the Coast, to going twice a month at the track for Test and Tune night, some grudge racing against people I know, and maybe even go on and bracket race on Test and Tune night (same cost as track admission for test runs only) does that make a difference?
How much are sliders and they look like they are welded in place. Please tell me more.

Last edited:
The sliders I’ve seen wear grooves eventually. Just driving around all day would equal years of track time.

The sliders I’ve seen wear grooves eventually. Just driving around all day would equal years of track time.
See, something like that alone would rule them out, because of the potential hazard if they wore excessively and broke.
OTOH if they made a BIG difference and replacement cost wasn't that much, I would have to set up a maintenance and inspection schedule.

Didn’t read through every post, but I can offer that I believe my Caltrac setup is getting me just about every hundredth of ET my little 451 can provide. My plans over the next couple of years will be to Mini-tub and put 29.5 x 10.5’s under my ‘67. This will pretty much be solely for looks, as it currently dead-hooks on 28x9’s. I do want to also outfit the 727 with a brake and a low 1st gear to help this street-weight tank get rolling. The 28x9’s May struggle with that step (???).
Either way, I believe in the Calvert hardware.

49EC6277-B6BC-48AD-BF2D-306CCC3F293A.png

Didn’t read through every post, but I can offer that I believe my Caltrac setup is getting me just about every hundredth of ET my little 451 can provide.
That is where I am as well. My decision morphed through the thread, and ultimately Caltracs is what I've decided on.
I had them installed when I got the caltracs
Here's a way around welding them to the frame. From customer reviews:
These sliders eliminated my shackle bind along with increasing overall travel. Mounting was easy. My frame was 1-3/4" wide so I welded a 2" channel onto the sliders and slipped over the frame / bolted.
Screenshot_20191116-123959_Chrome.jpg

I am not asking about the slider brackets again until I find someone who tells me to get them.
So, you’re not open to hear anything unless it’s what you want to hear? Or is it that you really don’t care if you need them or if they’re worth the expense and trouble for your application and you just want them? If so, get them. Go for it. Why do you need confirmation from others?

So, you’re not open to hear anything unless it’s what you want to hear? Or is it that you really don’t care if you need them or if they’re worth the expense and trouble for your application and you just want them? If so, get them. Go for it. Why do you need confirmation from others?
Lol. What I was trying to say is that me asking for more information about sliders DOES NOT MEAN that I am going to keep asking until someone says "get them".
In other words, I am inclined to take YOUR advice and not get them. I just want to know more about them.

Auto Transport Service
Back