• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taillights/Brake light issues

Crock

Local time
6:03 AM
Reaction score
So after switching from the drum brake master cylinder to the disc. 1966 Plymouth Belvedere Several years ago I know the brake pedal sits a little lower, and now the brake lights stay on the entire time. I know about the bracket and have adjusted this bracket multiple times over the years, my question is this something ongoing for everyone, or is it just me? I am an active-duty Marine and have had this car for several years between deployment and being stationed oversea the vehicle had its moment when it sat for long periods of time. The switch I replaced is in the following link. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...+Ignition+2+Terminal+Brake+Light+Switch&pos=2 66 belvedere

Testing
Headlights function: High beams and low
Signal Lights: both front and rear work with no issues
Taillight: Illuminate with the terminal brake light switch removed but doesn't function when you press the brakes which is understandable and expected.
Once I connect power to the rear of the terminal brake switch, the same results as above which are understandable.
Once I connect a signal from the instrument panel to the terminal brake switch both taillight illuminates immediately. During this install, I haven't installed the switch into the bracket and manual pressing and released the switches to ensure it functions correctly. I know the switch works but I don't know why both taillights illuminate when I connect the signal from the instrument panel.

Wiring Harness: Painless Wiring
I consider it new but it has been installed in the car for several years also but very minimum use.

Restomod 1966 Plymouth Belvedere with a Gen III Hemi 6.1 is the reason why I chose the above harness

t

You kind of lost me. Tail lights and brake lights are two totally different circuits, totally independent from each other. Do you have tail lights? If not fix them first. Get one item working correctly and keep your post on that item. Once tail lights are correct start another post on the brake lights.

Yep...it's hard to understand your post. It "sounds" like you're saying....
Tail lights don't work when you press the connected, hanging loose, brake pedal button & you expect that is "understandable and expected".....nope, you've got a wiring problem there. The other stuff won't happen once you work that wiring problem out.

You kind of lost me. Tail lights and brake lights are two totally different circuits, totally independent from each other. Do you have tail lights? If not fix them first. Get one item working correctly and keep your post on that item. Once tail lights are correct start another post on the brake lights.
I have tail lights when I engage the light switch on the instrument panel.

Once I connect power to the rear of the terminal brake switch the taillight are still illuminate and work. When I press the terminal brake switch nothing happens I believe because the signal from the instrument panel is not connected.

Once I connect a signal from the instrument panel to the terminal brake switch both taillight illuminates immediately weather I'm pressing the switch or it's just hanging not installed in the bracket

I know the switch works but I don't know why both taillights illuminate when I connect the signal from the instrument panel.

Yep...it's hard to understand your post. It "sounds" like you're saying....
Tail lights don't work when you press the connected, hanging loose, brake pedal button & you expect that is "understandable and expected".....nope, you've got a wiring problem there. The other stuff won't happen once you work that wiring problem out.
Brake lights work when I connect the switch but they are constantly illuminate weather the switch is press or release.

When I engage the headlight switch on the instrument panel the tail lights illuminate. Once a connect the brake switch the brake lights are constantly illuminate. When I remove the brake switch the taillight are still illuminate. When I shut the headlight switch off the tail light will shut off also. It's a brake lights issue do I solve by continuing to buy switch or is this a wiring problem that I need to run down

Disconnect the white and pink wires from the stop lamp switch. The brake lights should go out. Jump the white and pink wires together. The brake lamps should come on. If both theses teats are correct you need to adjust the brake lamp switch forward towards the pedal. Replace it if the adjustment doesn't fix the issue.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back