• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taking Up New Residence

I put 11x3 drums on my 65 Dodge new shoes, wheel cylinders, hoses, springs and cut drums. Then switched to disc's, was able to use shoes and drums on my 66 Satellite. The other stuff is in a pile, dollars down the drain.

Well I thought I would go this route first. I'm reminded of a friend back in the day running a '62 Savoy, built up 383 running in the tens. He would use up the whole shutdown area at one of the local tracks we ran at. He had drums all the way around. Also the '64 Polara 500 I once owned had standard brakes and a single master and I don't ever remember having problems stopping that tank. If I don't like the setup I'll go with disc.
Kid.. I admire your conviction!

Well I took a couple of weeks off from this project. You can burn yourself out sometimes, needed a break, let some of my flare ups get back to normal again. Did some researching, ordered some parts. This week I got back to it.

Got the backing plates and fenderwells cleaned up. Just some scraping, wire brush, paint. One day it will get rebuilt and the disassembled parts can get blasted and done right.
20170828_141814.jpg

Doing the engine compartment, it looked like it was hit with a shotgun from all the chips and nicks that were in the paint. Most likely from stones entering through the rear A arm adjustment hole. 1962 didn't have the rubber covers like the later years. This one has them now.
20170827_175742.jpg

Ordered brake shoes and received these. The same as the rears but this set they decided to reline the rearward cores for the front half. The slotted hole won't work for this spring setup.
20170829_205548.jpg

Started a "Rant" thread.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/replacement-parts-rant.137008/#post-910758612

So I refurbished the new set that was already on the car. They just had some surface rust.
20170830_132203.jpg

20170830_222711.jpg

Continued on the hub upgrade and had a hard time finding the right studs. I needed a 1/2 x 20 thread, .625 diameter knurl, 1/2" long knurl. I found a couple listed here and there but they weren't available. So I got the next best thing and machined them to size.
20170831_101626.jpg

20170831_114807.jpg

Some of the studs fit tight, some went in tight but were loose when seated. Some of this comes from the fact that the original studs were swedged and the holes aren't perfectly round. The other factor is the knurled part of the stud isn't consistent. (See pics)

So fire up the Welder!
20170831_170949.jpg

20170831_171754.jpg

Made a video "Packing Wheel Bearings" Did a little experiment halfway through.

20170901_155839.jpg

I have new dust caps on the way.
20170901_160022.jpg

Checking the 7 x 15" wheels for clearance.
20170901_162715.jpg

Here's the last set of drums I ordered. (Check out "Rant" thread. Damn things are cracked.
20170901_173640.jpg

20170901_225743.jpg

Well anyway I did use them to bleed the brakes.

Here's my helper. Stinky cheese container, Pringle can with a section of chain inside for weight, section of hose.
20170901_195022.jpg

20170901_194142.jpg

Make sure the hose is submerged in fluid. Right rear, left rear, right front, left front. One time for each wheel and I had a solid pedal.

I ordered tires today. Next I'll be painting the wheels so they'll be ready for the tire shop.

View attachment 508882

View attachment 508883

View attachment 508884

Here's the last set of drums I ordered. (Check out "Rant" thread. Damn things are cracked.
View attachment 508888
View attachment 508889

Here's my helper. Stinky cheese container, Pringle can with a section of chain inside for weight, section of hose.
View attachment 508890
View attachment 508905

Make sure the hose is submerged in fluid. Right rear, left rear, right front, left front. One time for each wheel and I had a solid pedal.

I ordered tires today. Next I'll be painting the wheels so they'll be ready for the tire shop.

Making progress sir, sometimes you have to use the "blue" wrench to fix things.

Nice work, great tech videos, and keep the faith, you will win in the end and the reward will be worth the struggles. :thumbsup:

View attachment 508882

View attachment 508883

View attachment 508884

View attachment 508888
View attachment 508889

View attachment 508890
View attachment 508905

Kid,The work looks Great!! Curious of your tire sizes, and, what are you doing for hub caps? Also wish I had a nickle for every wheel bearing I packed that way back in the day!

Last edited:
Kid,The work looks Great!! Curious of your tire sizes, and, what are you doing for hub caps? Also wish I had a nickle for every wheel bearing I packed that way back in the day!

Hey Thunder, thanks for the compliments!

I bought 7 x 15" x 4.25 b.s steel for the front, 8 x 15" x 4.5 b.s for the rear. 275/60/15 Cooper Cobras for the rear. 225/70/15 Cooper for the front. I'm second guessing the 225s for the front. That's going to be cutting it close in the fenderwell. I measured from the hub to the front, inside lip and a 28" is tight on this '62. I posted a thread to this question.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/anyone-useing-225-15-on-the-front-1962.137155/

I bought the wheels from a vendor at Chrysler Carlisle last year, he makes them himself and these take the smaller 9" caps, if I would decide to go with caps. I probably won't use any.

You and I could go and have some great steak dinners for all of those nickels!

Last edited:
Kid,The work looks Great!! Curious of your tire sizes, and, what are you doing for hub caps?
Hey Thunder, thanks for the compliments!

I bought 7 x 15" x 4.5 b.s steel for the front, 8 x 15" x 4.5 b.s for the rear. 275/60/15 Cooper Cobras for the rear. 225/70/15 Cooper for the front. I'm second guessing the 225s for the front. That's going to be cutting it close in the fenderwell. I measured from the hub to the front, inside lip and a 28" is tight on this '62. I posted a thread to this question.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/anyone-useing-225-15-on-the-front-1962.137155/

I bought the wheels from a vendor at Chrysler Carlisle last year, he makes them himself and these take the smaller 9" caps, if I would decide to go with caps. I probably won't use any.

You and I could go and have some great steak dinners for all of those nickels!

Sanded all four wheels, primered, sanded again, painted the insides black, painted the outsides body color. Shop's a mess. I'm beat!
20170903_183141.jpg

I was getting ready to clean the spray gun, still had about a half pint left, then remembered I had some miscellaneous parts that were prepped and needed paint. Glad I remembered!
20170903_193207.jpg

Hopefully the tire shop will call Tuesday and I can get them mounted. I have the heat cranking to 80 degs in the shop. Another set of front drums suppose to be at the parts store on Tuesday also.

Nice job sir!
Keep on keeping on and you will be done before you know it!
Hope the tire shop & parts house come through for you.
I love white cars....just look so clean!

Nice job sir!
Keep on keeping on and you will be done before you know it!
Hope the tire shop & parts house come through for you.
I love white cars....just look so clean!
Thank you Sir!

I have a saying when someone calls me Sir, "That was my Dad's name" I always say.

I really like your Belvedere. Have you been getting it out lately? 1965 Satellite is probably my favorite of all the '62 - '65s. But I'd settle for a Bell.

IMG_0722.JPG
I understand..Dad's should be respected with the "sir name".
Trying to get the 65 buttoned up, the rain will slack off in the next month or so, hopefully.
I'm glad you like my 65, it grows on me the more I look at it.
I like the Belvedere II more than the Satellite personally, due to the body side moldings I guess.
I like all the 62-65 B Bodies, they are so odd and uniquely designed.
( some of them are "so ugly they are cool") quote I've heard and made myself at car shows!

Sanded all four wheels, primered, sanded again, painted the insides black, painted the outsides body color. Shop's a mess. I'm beat!
View attachment 510090

I was getting ready to clean the spray gun, still had about a half pint left, then remembered I had some miscellaneous parts that were prepped and needed paint. Glad I remembered!
View attachment 510091

Hopefully the tire shop will call Tuesday and I can get them mounted. I have the heat cranking to 80 degs in the shop. Another set of front drums suppose to be at the parts store on Tuesday also.
Kid.. Looks like you are wrapping things up! Wheels look factory fresh! ...Lawn looks Fantastic Too! Freshly Cut?? LOL

Cant wait to see your car completed KK. Hope to see it in person one day. Wheels will look great. Love the painted wheel look.

Kid.. Looks like you are wrapping things up! Wheels look factory fresh! ...Lawn looks Fantastic Too! Freshly Cut?? LOL

Getting closer for sure. But you know how it goes, you're never done. I might take the day off, or not. Need to get the shop back in order at least. I need to refurbish the drive shaft. I have a new boot and u-joint and of course it needs a little paint. So we'll see.

This would be a good time to commit a crime, I haven't any finger prints after all of that sanding!

I mowed Thursday (at least once a week). We're getting a shower here when it needs to and it's been right cool for the month of August.

View attachment 510322 I understand..Dad's should be respected with the "sir name".
Trying to get the 65 buttoned up, the rain will slack off in the next month or so, hopefully.
I'm glad you like my 65, it grows on me the more I look at it.
I like the Belvedere II more than the Satellite personally, due to the body side moldings I guess.
I like all the 62-65 B Bodies, they are so odd and uniquely designed.
( some of them are "so ugly they are cool") quote I've heard and made myself at car shows!

Thats a sweet Belvedere :thumbsup:

Nice job on the brakes and painting all the odd parts from brakes and steering column.
Looks like you should go the the patent office.
:thumbsup:

Getting closer for sure. But you know how it goes, you're never done. I might take the day off, or not. Need to get the shop back in order at least. I need to refurbish the drive shaft. I have a new boot and u-joint and of course it needs a little paint. So we'll see.

This would be a good time to commit a crime, I haven't any finger prints after all of that sanding!

I mowed Thursday (at least once a week). We're getting a shower here when it needs to and it's been right cool for the month of August.

Thats a sweet Belvedere :thumbsup:
Wasn't it Dillinger who tried to obliterate his fingerprints? Well if you go crime waving......and get caught..... Can I have dibs on the Polara?!

Great progress, I'm curious to see the car together with all the paint going on but really want to see the rims on it. That look (solid painted steelies) has grown on me lately.:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back