• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talk me out of a hellcat.

Rusty knuckles

Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
I'm really toying with the idea of getting a 2017+ hellcat challenger with a manual transmission. For those that have or had one or other similar cars (zl1, gt500, etc) tell me about the good and the bad.

Get one, you'll love it. My first Hellcat was a manual & the 2nd is an automatic. The automatic transmission is amazing. I like it better.

I got a 2022 NBRE (Narrow Body RedEye) Challenger, Automatic 8 speed, with the optional 3.09 (standard is 2.62) rear gears. The 6th to 7th shift takes place at 171MPH, she purrs… My son clicked off an 11.6@132. That’s a great MPH but the stock tires are obviously traction limited which is fine by me as it’s like riding a 2 Stroke dirt bike… Lol

Goes fast real fast. Blower whine is like a drug. But lacks the fear, thrill and aroma of the Coronet at half the speed.

E0FB406A-87CD-4EF0-A923-CCCED28F627A.png

I don't know, doing a rolling burnout at 40mph gets my sphincter a little tight :lol:

Ok, call me Mr. Sour Grapes. First, I think those Challengers are awesome. Had a ’70 Cuda 440 and a ’73 Challenger 340 (1st new ride I bought) back in the day (latter was a dog recalling the death of HP then). Had a GTO before those. 440 and goat were fast for the day. Got into enough trouble with Johnny Law back then. When the new Challengers came out, seriously wanted one. Having my old ride and liking it after all the resto work I did, kept me from pulling that trigger.

So these have 700/800 HP. From their crash stat’s, can guess it takes a lot of smarts to avoid their destruction. They have roughly, another 300-400 horses than my old Cuda had? Since I gave up going to the track decades ago, where do you get the chance to use this amount of power? I lost the kicks from doing heavy burn-outs 40+ years ago. Gave it some thought where I’d have fun with a ride possessing this much power aside from a drag strip. Maybe some on-ramps? Out in the sticks where I occasionally have opened my ride up to 100 or so? With a Hellcat easily add 160, and more? Might imagine the thrill on a highway out west. What’s the penalty and insurance shock getting snagged going 100 mph over the limit? In my Cuda, got caught doing a big-burn = a reckless driving charge, six points, and six weeks of driving school to keep my license. Forgot what the ins premium increase was.

Ok, I’m lacking the giddy on that much power rebuilding my motor when I had the chance to add more than I did. Maybe it’s my geezer age as I likely would have been ga-ga with this…40 years ago.

NO knocks to those who do have it – enjoy.

The A8 ZF TorqFlyte is amazing technology. One ride and you will be convinced. The Redeye is only available with the A8. When researching, I read about the manual 6 speed Hellcats having the valve and other nanny crap to prevent clutch “dumping etc. And, ways to disable it. I didn’t plan to side step the clutch, but want to have the ability to do so.

When I lose the kicks of a good healthy burnout, put me on the grille.

When do I use all 717? Rarely with the all season tires, yes.
Most of us on here like having ' more then necessary'
Or else we'd all have 318's with cherry bombs on them...

Do you have the financial means to pay the fines? Can you walk to work? :rofl::rofl::rofl:What the hell, buy it.

Last edited:
The only negative that I found during my three year search for the right Hellcat Challenger was the price of them. I was hoping to find a six speed manual transmission equipped one with low mileage for around 40k,and because of the chip shortages during the scamdemic, and now Dodge ending Challenger production the prices of nice used examples have gone up not down as most used cars do. Everyone I saw under 50k,was a repaired wreck with a salvage title, or was ridden hard and put away wet. With retirement looming just over the horizon I can't justify a seven year car loan to buy something decent. Nice examples are in the 55k to 60k range. I ended up buying the best Challenger I could get without having a car loan. Unfortunately it is not a Hellcat, but a 2010 Challenger R/T 5.7 Hemi six speed in pristine condition with 18k original miles. I will do some mods to it and make it to my liking. I should have bought the one RC sold,it was the right car at the right price, but I was just starting to look into getting one at the time.

Last edited:
buy one, I had a six speed, but also drove an auto, I would buy an auto if I get another one. 4 sets of tires, rear end center and a half shaft in 28000 miles, 0 speeding tickets (got lucky) very fun car.

Interesting the auto is more popular. I just have in my mind the raw fun of a stick. I've read the stick is more prone to issues though. I dunno. My heart is still set on that. I feel like it would add to the driving experience.

For myself .
I've ridden in a friend's redeye wide body.
Fast is an understatement. Scary fast is more like it.

I have no need for that kind of umph in a car.

My hemi 2wd truck is all I need in a daily driver

I own a 1966 hemi car...and to be honest it's way more of a conversation piece than a race car . And has more than enough umph than I need in an old car.

For me, I can think of better ways to fork out the kind of money that those command, both when new and now. But who am I to tell others what they should and should not buy? Just remember in the end after you put it under your butt, that is just the cost of maintaining it, and the fuel consumed by it, is worth the investment...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag::usflag::usflag:

Those irresponsible teenagers. I’d never do something like that. Nyuk

Auto Transport Service
Back