• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talk me out of a hellcat.

I'm really toying with the idea of getting a 2017+ hellcat challenger with a manual transmission. For those that have or had one or other similar cars (zl1, gt500, etc) tell me about the good and the bad.
I have a 2020 T/A 392, I LOVE it, awesome car, bolted on some Drag radials, ran 11.79 @ 114.5, 13 mph head wind, race weight 4445 lbs, that works out to about 536 net flywheel HP, did I say I love this car
323891951_1070848047118221_4606399477947187214_n1234.jpg

Are any of you owners insured with Hagerty or has anyone called them to see if they will insure? Obviously it would have to not be a daily driver.

I'm really toying with the idea of getting a 2017+ hellcat challenger with a manual transmission. For those that have or had one or other similar cars (zl1, gt500, etc) tell me about the good and the bad.
I don't have the money to buy one, I have driven a couple, but they are one hell of a car. I would say when the history is written they are the pinnacle of muscle cars. I would get an automatic, a lot of power to try and speed shift. And just from my experience the new style manual transmissions don't speed shift well because of the detent and interlock system they use.

And I know most on this board would think electric cars are just not right, but I got a ride in a Tesla Plaid the other day, and it is unbelievable how fast they are. Back in the day insurance rates killed a lot of muscle car purchases at least it did for me when I was young. Has an insurance agent ever driven a hellcat or a plaid?

I put $1k down on my custom order 2022 Challenger. You’re definitely late to the party. Chrysler Financial had 0% interest at the time of my purchase. I was also lucky to get below MSRP.
View attachment 1472347
Note, “This vehicle was especially built for Chuck…….” on the window sticker.
My window sticker has my name on it as well. I wish I'd have gotten mine last year as well, but I snoozed. Now paying 6% but still got it at employee pricing. Luckily.

Grundy quoted me $1232
Hagerty quoted me $1600
For an annual agreed value of $80k
On a 2022 Challenger RedEye

I think mine is 1600 a year or thereabouts. I may call haggerty.

The thing with Hagerty is that once you insure a vehicle with them, additional vehicles are relatively inexpensive. The premiums for the last three 60's vehicles I've added with agreed values of $20-25k have averaged about $130/year.

The thing with Hagerty is that once you insure a vehicle with them, additional vehicles are relatively inexpensive. The premiums for the last three 60's vehicles I've added with agreed values of $20-25k have averaged about $130/year.
I guess I should give them a call. I like our local insurer, but I can't justify overpaying either.

I guess I should give them a call. I like our local insurer, but I can't justify overpaying either.
I started with Hagerty when I bought a Vette. Saved me around 40% over Farmer's. Now I have 8 or 9 cars on there for $1600-1700/yr.

Edit: Mine is $1,451/yr. My neighbor's is $1,600-1700. That's how we compare stables - by our Hagerty bill.

If you want it.. get it.. you live once, do what you want.

There is no negative. I will only warn you with a redeye the 3-4 shift in track mode is absolutely brutal, and it will bust the tires loose at over 100 mph. Short shift 4th in manual mode unless you have pilot sports or drag radials. Passing on a 2 lane is really nice. Insurance is cheep with Hagerty. Cops are pretty cool around here, just don't do dumb stuff in traffic, we take them for rides off duty. Spend some money at a racing school like Radford, you will not believe what you can do in a redeye on a track after learning how to drive. The power never gets old, it is not dangerous once you know the car, and the feel it has when you are at the limit. Just do it, you will never be sorry.

I wish somebody would have talked me out of selling my 2016 Hellcat. The only thing I didn’t like was that junk 6 speed.

There is no negative. I will only warn you with a redeye the 3-4 shift in track mode is absolutely brutal, and it will bust the tires loose at over 100 mph. Short shift 4th in manual mode unless you have pilot sports or drag radials. Passing on a 2 lane is really nice. Insurance is cheep with Hagerty. Cops are pretty cool around here, just don't do dumb stuff in traffic, we take them for rides off duty. Spend some money at a racing school like Radford, you will not believe what you can do in a redeye on a track after learning how to drive. The power never gets old, it is not dangerous once you know the car, and the feel it has when you are at the limit. Just do it, you will never be sorry.
You sir are terrible at this talking out of thing.

I have a 2015 Charger. On my first drive home from Toledo Ohio to Allentown, PA. My first tank of gas gave me 23.7 mph. Doing 75 -80 across interstate 80.
With quick 3/4 shots on the gas and it gets up there passed 125.

I miss my 69 GTX and my 67 Dart. Both cars i had for years.
The Charger gives me the comfort of driving long periods without making odd noises when getting out of the car. I am 72. "Comfort is good"

The "b" bodies will never be replaced in my heart. Put a tarp over what you have now if you could afford to and get the Hellcat. Experience what technology has come to
and surpassed my 2015 with 707 HP. Slow compaired to the 2023's I could not get into the 11's at the track near me, I was only able to get 12 flat with stock tires.
But doing 153mph on the Pocono Race Track was a thrill. Had the stereo on, AC on and 3 fingers on the wheel taking the turns. This car handles.
I wish you well in your decision whatever it might be. Have fun.

btw: have not one ticket in the HC as of yet. But my wife has in Virginia. Those State cops look for cars without front plates.
Matt

HC at Fred Beans.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back