• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tangent on a motor...

brian.linn

Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
I’m building 3 cars at once, which is daunting in and of itself. Decisions, decisions, decisions... Disc brakes or drum? 727 or 4 speed? Dana 60 or 8.75? Big Block or ???

I’ve always been told that small blocks are for A-Bodies, big block or small block is acceptable in E-Bodies, Big Block or Big Block in B-Bodies.

Being that I’m doing 3 cars (64 Savoy - race car, 65 Coronet - street car and 64 Savoy Wagon - cruiser) do I really need big blocks in all of them?

I know, build what I want. But I’m the guy who has painted my car 100 times in my head, and I’ve changed the color 100 times.

My conundrum is this for the Savoy. I’ve got a 5.9L Magnum 360, HP383, 400 and a 5.7L Hemi, I have the 727’s, 833 and 833od. I want to drive this wagon EVERYWHERE. 300 mile road trips, I’d like decent mileage (16-20 mpg’s), but I’m not looking for a $15K engine bill (engine and wiring) when it’s all said and done.

So, could I ask you all to “think out loud”? With the info provided, thoughts on the drivetrain for the Station Wagon? I’m open to suggestions.

Cheers!!

If your wanting a good driver go with the newer setup, 361 or 400 for just a bit more dependability. Not saying a 383 wouldn't be dependable because many are out there and still running strong. Maybe take the least expensive route to what you have in order to save a couple of bucks. When it comes to building these Mopars it's not cheap anymore.

If you're using what you have, the 883/od, 8-3/4 w/3.23 gears and smaller engine of choice w F.I. That should get you in the 18-20 mpg while cruising at todays interstate speeds.

A small block in a B Body cruiser is just fine. A hot small block in a B body streetcar might also be fine, depending on how fast you want to go.

I’m building 3 cars at once, which is daunting in and of itself. Decisions, decisions, decisions... Disc brakes or drum? 727 or 4 speed? Dana 60 or 8.75? Big Block or ???

I’ve always been told that small blocks are for A-Bodies, big block or small block is acceptable in E-Bodies, Big Block or Big Block in B-Bodies.

Being that I’m doing 3 cars (64 Savoy - race car, 65 Coronet - street car and 64 Savoy Wagon - cruiser) do I really need big blocks in all of them?

I know, build what I want. But I’m the guy who has painted my car 100 times in my head, and I’ve changed the color 100 times.

My conundrum is this for the Savoy. I’ve got a 5.9L Magnum 360, HP383, 400 and a 5.7L Hemi, I have the 727’s, 833 and 833od. I want to drive this wagon EVERYWHERE. 300 mile road trips, I’d like decent mileage (16-20 mpg’s), but I’m not looking for a $15K engine bill (engine and wiring) when it’s all said and done.

So, could I ask you all to “think out loud”? With the info provided, thoughts on the drivetrain for the Station Wagon? I’m open to suggestions.

Cheers!!

What are you capable of doing in this build?:poke:

What are you capable of doing in this build?:poke:

In what regard? I did the mini tubs, spring relocator Kit, floors, sub frame connectors. I will need someone to go through the motor/trans and help with wiring...

I’ve got Dana 60’s for all cars. I’m sure it would be cheaper and more “fuel efficient” with the 8.75.

Thank you guys for the input. I consider all comments.

Put the 5.7 in whatever it is you want to drive all the time. Dependable, reliable trans.

I went to Indy this year. Our booth was in the same pavilion as Indy. They had a 6.1 all dolled up with the coil packs hidden. Pretty sexy!

04723CFD-5F02-4B5A-A96E-00B8CFBCC966.jpeg 7C34569F-2112-4FE9-B7F9-85EB25B7431B.jpeg 8D0099D9-589F-48CA-A5FF-B6D3FDD7E511.jpeg

5.7, 518 in the wagon, 400 with a stroker kit and 727,dana 60 for the race car, the 383,4speed for the satellite . You end up with a great driver, a rocket ship, and a fun time cruiser.

I would put the 5.9 magnum in it with factory fuel infection setup and upgrade the intake to a Hughes. My son pulled his 5.9 out of his truck this winter. 262,000 miles in a 3/4 HD ram weighing around 5,000 lbs. It hauled stone and gravel most of its life. Still ran well but half the exhaust manifold studs were broken. Virtually indestructible.

If you think your going to use your wagon as a tow vehicle for the race car go for a engine with enough torque. I'd concentrate on the closest one to being finished. Work on other cars if waiting on parts or other downtime on number one car. Jumping around it will seem like nothing getting done.

If you are serious about boosting your 360, contact Doug, dvw. His son, dizuster runs a turbocharged 360 in a 62 that is a rocket ship, and was considering offering a turbo kit for small block A and B bodies. Doug has about the best advice you can find on this forum.

If you think your going to use your wagon as a tow vehicle for the race car go for a engine with enough torque. I'd concentrate on the closest one to being finished. Work on other cars if waiting on parts or other downtime on number one car. Jumping around it will seem like nothing getting done.

Not big on wagons as tow rigs... And I hear ya on jumping around... I’d almost trade 4 cars for that’s 75% complete and running.

Kelsey is local and has the best solution, IMO, for a driver.

6.1 and 6.4 Hemi takeouts that are plug and play, make over 425HP, get better than 20 mpg and are stone reliable.You'll have less out of pocket than building an engine that meets those requirements. Around $4k gets a amazing engine. Use the NAG1 or a SB 727.

No difference in fuel efficiency between Dana and 8 3/4 if geared the same. Dana is sexier and will handle upgrades. 3.54 gear is perfect.

Or, buy my car so I can build a '69 Cuda with a third gen Hemi.

6.1 and 6.4 Hemi takeouts that are plug and play, make over 425HP, get better than 20 mpg and are stone reliable.You'll have less out of pocket than building an engine that meets those requirements. Around $4k gets a amazing engine. Use the NAG1 or a SB 727.

No difference in fuel efficiency between Dana and 8 3/4 if geared the same. Dana is sexier and will handle upgrades. 3.54 gear is perfect.

If you do that I will UNfriend you!!:lol::mad::poke::nutkick:

Ha! Build it and keep them both!

Auto Transport Service
Back