• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tapered axle nuts-right and left handed?????

These? 1964 and older. Right hand threads only.
6CDDFCA4-2645-4457-A7A9-AF571A3EF20B.jpeg

Thanks I figured as such but admit I always throw the tapered axles away but running out of 65 up 8 3/4 rears! Now I need the darn stout hub puller!

I'm sure you know that you can convert the 64 and earlier to the 65-up axles.
Requires longer axle flange studs, axles (stock or aftermarket)and the backing plates from the 65-up cars.If you remove the drums from the flange hubs they can be reused.Along with all the shoes and brake hardware if using the 10'' backing plates.I just did this to my 63 housing.The studs and axles came from Dr.Diff.All other parts were stuff I had left over.

I'm sure you know that you can convert the 64 and earlier to the 65-up axles.
Requires longer axle flange studs, axles (stock or aftermarket)and the backing plates from the 65-up cars.If you remove the drums from the flange hubs they can be reused.Along with all the shoes and brake hardware if using the 10'' backing plates.I just did this to my 63 housing.The studs and axles came from Dr.Diff.All other parts were stuff I had left over.
Yes I am somewhat aware of this. I have several early B cars, probably will sell off one or two, and I do still have 1 65up 8 3/4 I can use. But I was raised by older parents I am old and hate to throw away anything!!! I can still find 6 up 8 3/4 complete rears with open pumkins for $300. I have never called Dr Diff to see what his deal costs.

Yea right!!!!!!
Took me 4 months to get one off, not kidding. Had all but given up and then we put the big torch on it and poop, it came off. Not certain I learned anything from the experience. I hope yours goes better

I got to get the car rolling as I have a guy coming Fri to look at it with his trailer. I had to drag it off the trailer to unload it when I got it. Local mechanic in this 1 stop light county gets $95 / hr shop rat, and he would have to drive out to do it and he just has a flunky for a mechanic! No doubt the shoes are stuck solid to the drums, sat out since '85! Maybe I an borrow a big puller from O Reilly!??

I got to get the car rolling as I have a guy coming Fri to look at it with his trailer. I had to drag it off the trailer to unload it when I got it. Local mechanic in this 1 stop light county gets $95 / hr shop rat, and he would have to drive out to do it and he just has a flunky for a mechanic! No doubt the shoes are stuck solid to the drums, sat out since '85! Maybe I an borrow a big puller from O Reilly!??

Parts houses don't carry the big heavy duty pullers to do the job. I found a used one on flee bay.

Sounds like you're pressed for time so maybe removing the wheel, back off the adjuster a bit, take a big hammer to the drum and see if it breaks loose.

Auto Transport Service
Back