• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tapered axle upgrade??

Would you upgrade a tapered axle 8-3/4??

• Total voters
I have a friend that drag races his 62 Savoy Maxi and still uses the taper axles with no problem.
Axle end play is with shims. You should be able to find it in the service manual. Tho in my 64 Plymouth Manual there are no photos and just a mention of the shim.

Last edited:
Tho in my 64 Plymouth Manual there are no photos and just a mention of the shim.
I`m finding that as well.... I really would love to see an exploded view of the 62-64 8-3/4 mainly for reference on how the housing/shim/seal/backing plate were sandwiched together. It seems that mine has been apart previous, and the shim setup done differently than the service manual describes.... I'd just like to be sure.... no pic in my 63 manual either.
It seems to me (guessing) that some post 65 parts were mixed in there. Foam gaskets were used, but it looks like axle housings gaskets were not. Anyone know the proper sequence, for sure??

I`m finding that as well.... I really would love to see an exploded view of the 62-64 8-3/4 mainly for reference on how the housing/shim/seal/backing plate were sandwiched together. It seems that mine has been apart previous, and the shim setup done differently than the service manual describes.... I'd just like to be sure.... no pic in my 63 manual either.
It seems to me (guessing) that some post 65 parts were mixed in there. Foam gaskets were used, but it looks like axle housings gaskets were not. Anyone know the proper sequence, for sure??

In my '62 Chrysler Motors Corporation "Dodge" service manual, the procedure is described in section 3 page 17. No illustrations.

The only thing that goes between the axle housing and brake backing plate are the shims. There's an inner housing seal and a seal inside the backing plate. No other seals are used, no paper gasket or foam gasket.

One side is set up with a .040 shim and the opposite side is set up to use the final shims to obtain .013 to .023 end play. Dividing shim packs from the opposite side might be required in order to keep the thrust block centered as much as possible.

Let me know if you can't find this procedure in your manuals and I'll try to take pictures of mine. My camera isn't the best.

Let me know if you can't find this procedure in your manuals and I'll try to take pictures of mine. My camera isn't the best.
Thanks much for the offer... no need, I've found the same wording in the `63 manual.

Let me explain my current confusion... I thought I was paying close attention at teardown lol. I assumed there was good chance this had never been apart.
So, first mistake.... second mistake, never gave it a thought to check the end play. :BangHead:
So, looking it over while apart....I got NO shim on the driver side, just a foam gasket (no mention of those in the manual). I can see inner seals are not OEM, but all clean and still Timkens for bearings.
Passenger side, three shims and a rusty mess in there.... and a foam gasket. No mention in the manual, but I suspect maybe the shims should have been coated in Copperseal or soft Permatex??? Otherwise, I would think any winter or even rainy driving is going to get some moisture in there??
So, back to the end play...I'm cleaning up the backing plates now, and I'll mock it back up and see if it's good...should be no reason at all to believe that it could be any different that it was when together recently and sounding good, since the thrust blocks are identical size-wise...
I'll repost soon. Thx much.

Thanks much for the offer... no need, I've found the same wording in the `63 manual.

Let me explain my current confusion... I thought I was paying close attention at teardown lol. I assumed there was good chance this had never been apart.
So, first mistake.... second mistake, never gave it a thought to check the end play. :BangHead:
So, looking it over while apart....I got NO shim on the driver side, just a foam gasket (no mention of those in the manual). I can see inner seals are not OEM, but all clean and still Timkens for bearings.
Passenger side, three shims and a rusty mess in there.... and a foam gasket. No mention in the manual, but I suspect maybe the shims should have been coated in Copperseal or soft Permatex??? Otherwise, I would think any winter or even rainy driving is going to get some moisture in there??
So, back to the end play...I'm cleaning up the backing plates now, and I'll mock it back up and see if it's good...should be no reason at all to believe that it could be any different that it was when together recently and sounding good, since the thrust blocks are identical size-wise...
I'll repost soon. Thx much.

No sealer needed on the shims or anything else. The seals do their job. Maybe a little paint when you get it all together. Good luck.

Mocked it up, looks like I was at .028" before teardown. I'll pull some shim out and put it closer to spec.....

The old manuals say .013 to .023.... my recollection is they had some problems... in later (early 70's) service manuals they were saying .008 to .018. Am I overthinking this or should I run it a lot tighter to get closer to .008"? Certainly don't want to heat it up either. Moving along tho, thx for the help thus far.

Current pix

IMG_20220927_174842897.jpg

IMG_20220927_174846024.jpg

IMG_20220927_185658405.jpg

Kinda wish i had painted the underside of my car white instead of black... looks soo much cleaner and nice..

Kinda wish i had painted the underside of my car white instead of
My car is white.... I know is not concourse correct to paint like I did, but I think the proper body color match came out nice. I think some of my pix show, the correct color if you will is a halfa** overspray of a greenish gray primer..See post# 21.
Isn't your car going to be Red when finished??

My car is white.... I know is not concourse correct to paint like I did, but I think the proper body color match came out nice. I think some of my pix show, the correct color if you will is a halfa** overspray of a greenish gray primer..See post# 21.
Isn't your car going to be Red when finished??
Yes on the red... i painted the underside black though, mainly out of habit.. I love how clean white looks though when you look underneath.. Of course i would have to make it more perfect then though, so black was the right choice :)

Auto Transport Service
Back