• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tear Down of a RB Industrial Engine

Mains are also.010 under... unfortunately no dates on the bearings.
This concludes the tear down of this engine...it now goes into the core pile for future projects.
Questions?
Thanks for following along!

IMG_20240113_115625117.jpg

IMG_20240113_115637181.jpg

IMG_20240113_115653675.jpg

Are there //// on oil seal surface? Are the //// angled in the same direction as car cranks?

Double checked a car crank...this engine is normal rotation.
I have never seen a reverse rotation industrial engine except in boats. Here is a pic of the normal stamping on a reverse rotation 426 industrial boat engine

IMG_20240113_131445237.jpg

Double checked a car crank...this engine is normal rotation.
I have never seen a reverse rotation industrial engine except in boats. Here is a pic of the normal stamping on a reverse rotation 426 industrial boat engine

View attachment 1590156
I was thinking that 8 bolt extended flange cranks continued to be used in some industrial 413 even after it was discontinued in cars and light trucks in '62. What do you know about that?

To date I've never had a 8 bolt long crank come out of a industrial engine.... however all the ones I've had have been 1965 and newer. I think 1961 was the end of the long cranks with the end of the cast iron torque flight.

IMG_2472.JPG

Top picture industrial crank bottom picture 426 car crank. Both pictures flywheel flange to the top of photo. Both have///// same direction. I'll give myself a :thumbsup::lol:. The Dutchrebuild crank picture you need click on attachment. My car is the visible photo.

Last edited:
I've always wanted one of these to put in a ol power wagon...I'd keep the stuff your tossing tho put larger valves in heads, better springs n cam...just to be diff

No evidence of reverse rotation...normal car starter
The clockwise-rotation fan is another indicator of engine rotation. (not a foolproof one, though)

IIRC boat engines are reverse rotation only if installed in pairs, and then only one engine is reversed? Or is a single reversed also?

FWIW - that engine-trans adapter is likely an SAE#1, and is useful for installing a B/RB in front of a HD truck trans, or possibly in front of an Allison automatic.
The flexplate and TC-snout parts might be difficult to find though.
So - there might be somebody out there looking for those pieces.
Might take forever to find that guy, but you'd be doing the hobby a service if you did. H.A.M.B. might be a good place to ask.

I have never seen exhaust manifolds like that before, they have to be an improvement over the typical log style, if they will clear the TB's.

Last edited:
Green/black hoses are part of the governor system. The exhaust manifolds are unique to the industrial engine and have a different bolt pattern then passenger car heads

Not many people restoring swing fender or other classic Dodge trucks. I would scrap most of that stuff too to avoid tripping on it for the next 30 or 40 years.

I just noticed the bolt pattern on the water pump housing, every time I get a gasket kit for a rebuild it always has a gasket with that pattern. I always wondered what it went to!

Auto Transport Service
Back