• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temp Gauge on 318 Poly.

TLH101

Local time
6:17 AM
Reaction score
Is there another place on a 318 poly to install a temp sender, other than intake? The intake has 1/4" pipe thread and the gauge uses 3/8" pipe thread. Have not been able to come up with a suitable adapter.

Good luck. It took me awhile to figure out how do do this, as I wanted an aftermarket temp gauge and my stock dash gauge as well. I ended up drilling out the stock sending unit location on the manifold and retapping it to the right size. For my stock gauge sending unit, I installed it in the bottom of my radiator where the petcock would've been.

I'm willing to bet someone else had a better idea, but that's what I did.

You can get an adapter for the thermostat outlet I think @andyf sell this product.
The radiator bottom would likely be 10-15 degrees lower that the engine jacket and meaningless before the thermostat opens for a few minutes.

It pretty much is. Its only useful once the car is up to temp, and it kinda helped me track the overheating issue I fought with for awhile.

Auto Transport Service
Back