• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temp sender question

Sublime70

Local time
5:51 PM
Reaction score
I bought a repro engine harness for my 68 charger and it has the temp sender wire designed for the threaded-stud type sender. The temp sender I got from the parts store is the flat termianal type though. I know I can just snip the wire and put a different connector on, but for what the harness cost, I'd rather not cut it. I know my 70 Challenger has the threaded stud type. I'm assuming they are interchangable (will both function with the charger gauge), but figured I'd ask if anyone knew (or even better, had a part number for the threaded type that will work for my application). I was just going to buy one for the Challenger and use that. Do they all function the same and the only differences are terminal type?

That would be a Standard Motor Products #TS-17
getimage.php

I think that they all work the same. Just make a short pigtail wire with the two connector types on it to adapt your harness and not have to cut it. Then if you decide to change you have not damaged your harness.

Buy the right sender and do it right

(edit) I don't get it. I've replaced almost every piece of wiring in my Duster because previous owners were to lazy? to do the job CORRECTLY. I know no one was advocating hacking the new harness, but why in the world would you not want to get the CORRECT part and put it together the way it was intended to be put together.

just leaves me shaking my head (and wanting to do harm to the P.O.'s of my Duster)

Thanks guys. Exactly the info I needed. I'll pick up the TS-17 and be done with it. Not to get greedy, but I also noticed that the temp sender appears to be a 1/8 pipe thread, and it looks like my water pump housing has a 1/4 thread hole. I'm guessing someone switched the housing at one time. I was just going to put in a bushing to reduce the size, but I'm wondering if the senders come in a choice of 1/8 or 1/4.

By the way 69 Runner, I agree - I haven't gotten a project car yet where I wasn't shaking my head as I was pulling out all the old wiring, looking at what previous owners did over the years. Most of the electrical in these cars isn't complicated and doesn't take a lot of effort to do a correct job. A friend of mine lost a car because a previous owner ran an unfused, hot lead through the firewall along side an aftermarket temp gauge copper tube and the resulting melted wire/fire destroyed the car. Luckily it was a Chevy lol.

Buy the right sender and do it right

(edit) I don't get it. I've replaced almost every piece of wiring in my Duster because previous owners were to lazy? to do the job CORRECTLY. I know no one was advocating hacking the new harness, but why in the world would you not want to get the CORRECT part and put it together the way it was intended to be put together.

just leaves me shaking my head (and wanting to do harm to the P.O.'s of my Duster)

More like they don't have a clue what they are doing and they just don't care!

I have worked in different shops over the years and customers would state that they have been to several garages, spent X amount of money and their car still had the same problem. I would discover that something had either been half :censored: or nothing was done on the car at all! Sad world out there:no:

Yup. Drives me crazy. I drove the Duster to the Cowtown show today, twisting it 3500-3700 all the way. Was most of the way there (20 miles) before the temp reached 175 on a 180 thermostat. This was with the stock radiator, shroud, and fan/clutch which replaced the late model thin core radiator someone had installed. It had an electric fan AND a flex on the motor, and on a 50* day it ran close to 220*

Don't outsmart yourself. Do it right. Do it once.

Sublime, the TS-17 should go in to the housing horizontally, while the sender in yours is probably replacing a plug in the top of the housing. Check to see if there isn't a small hole for the sender that is (more or less) below the top heater hose nipple, and (basically) in between the two heater hose nipples

I'll take a look when I get home from work. If my memory serves, there's no hole in the housing to install the sender horizontal (as my 70 has). It has the 1/4 hole near the heater hose fittings (vertical), and I believe there is a 1/8 plugged hole (vertical again) on the drivers side of the housing. If I can get the plug out, I guess I can put the sender there. Again, I'm guessing its not the right wp housing for the car and should have the 1/8 horizontal hole behind the alternator bracket like my 70.

The aluminum 440 source housings have a temperature port by the heater hose fittings and also on the driver's side top. I needed one of these so I could make the stock temp guage work, but also have a more trusty aftermarket gague.

Usually the factory housings have one or the other and not both.

I had the same verticle sender, the bladed one is from a full size Chrysler with climate control. i replaced it with the post type. the horizontal hole on my 440 still had the pipe plug in it.

I found the guy that had my car before me and he did get the engine from a 70 New Yorker.

Auto Transport Service
Back