• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TF500A????

moparmarks

I'm just a guy with a screwdriver.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
I just picked up a TF500 transmission to put in my 78 D100 with a 360.. It has the 3 pin connector so it had a lock up converter, correct? Can I just use the 360 converter that is in my 727?
Which pins are for the OD and how is it wired?
Thanks

You'll need to chase down the pins for who is who but one is lock up, the other is o/d. Converter does not interchange. No different than 727 to 904 or vice versa. Different critters. On top of that, the 500 takes a lock up unit. Get one weighted for the 360 or better would be to get the B&M flex plate, or other like it, that has the notch cut in it so you don't have to get a weighted converter.

I have a new 904 converter and an old junk 360LA/727 converter. Can I just use the 360 weight and weld it on to the 904 converter if I get it in the right spot?
Do you know the parts number for the BM plate?

I have a new 904 converter and an old junk 360LA/727 converter. Can I just use the 360 weight and weld it on to the 904 converter if I get it in the right spot?
Do you know the parts number for the BM plate?
Good question. I don’t know for sure. The MP books should shed some light on this. The B&M plate is very specific and can be looked up on Summit racing Or B&M’s website.

Ya I had a brain fart on the converters.
Also found that they are an A500, 40RH and 42RH are the hydraulic versions. The later 42RE and 44RE are the electronic version which is what I have in my 97 Dakota.
I found the BM flex plate at Summit.

Now if I could only remember that….

@moparmarks You’ll need the RU unless you run the computer for the RE. Can you post a picture of the side of the trans?

96 and later are the RE series, 95 back are the RH.
Not quite. The early models were A500/518, as in my 92 Dakota. The RH came later and people incorrectly refer to them as 42/46 RH.
This is just like calling a 62-64 intermediate a B body. That designation didnt come along until 65.

Not quite. The early models were A500/518, as in my 92 Dakota. The RH came later and people incorrectly refer to them as 42/46 RH.
This is just like calling a 62-64 intermediate a B body. That designation didnt come along until 65.

We called them the same name in later years at the Dealer because they are basically the same trans. A500/518 is a hydraulic overdrive trans like the RH overdrive trans. And I have always called my 63 a B-body. Ron

Last edited:
On the RH hydraulic gov trans which were up to 1995 had the three pin connector when they were the overdrive trans with lock-up. The center pin was a 12 volt feed to the overdrive and lock-up solenoids and the two outer pins were the grounds going to the PCM for the overdrive and lock-up solenoids. Ron

3 pin.

20211105_173503.jpg

You'll need to verify but I'm fairly certain that all of the 42rh/500's were lock up. If the 904 converter you have is l/u also you may be good, but verify. The 42rh/500 is the 904/999 based trans with the o/d added to it. The 46/47/48 rh&re/518/618's are 727 based trans units with the o/d added. 46/518's are gas v6/v8 units, 47/48/618's were used behind the v10 and diesel applications. There are two oddball units done for Jeep applications with 5.2/5.9 engines due to the starter being on the passenger side instead of driver. One was called the 44RE which I think was behind the 5.2 and a 46RE behind the 5.9 in the Grand Cherokee Limited. All of the RE units will require a trans controller to operate. 91-93 diesel units were o/d but non lock up, 94-5 V10/diesel were lock up. The diesel/v10 units have stouter internals due to the increased torque input and would make great units to hack off the front bell housing to instal an Ultrabell so they could be retrofitted onto a big block.

Last edited:
I forgot one other oddball. 92-95 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 had a 46RH. Same deal with starter on rh side.

Auto Transport Service
Back