• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That sick feeling

I think - no.

That seems unclear, in a sense. The title says 78, but the headlights are square. Most, not all, but most 78's had round headlights. These are square. The door jam sticker says, manu date march of 79. The title is for a 78
Not sure about Fords and year features. Hope you get it worked out. VIN should tell you the year too.

I think - no.

That seems unclear, in a sense. The title says 78, but the headlights are square. Most, not all, but most 78's had round headlights. These are square. The door jam sticker says, manu date march of 79. The title is for a 78
The headlights went to square on the 1978 1/2 -1979 f150. I had a 1966 Chevelle that came when a 1965 dated title due to the fact that it was actually sold in the 1965 calendar year. I thought it was a little weird and rised some eyebrows but that was the way the state did it .

It could be the truck was hit on the drivers' side,
necessitating the replacement of both cab and
door. There should be a serial number stamped
on the frame somewhere. See if the frame number matches your title.

The bed, cab, fenders, and hood all have the same faded old paint. And looking at the chips on it all, it appears to have had one repaint, the same color, over the original factory paint.

I'm not sure, but I think the serial number may be
stamped on the top of the frame rail on the
passenger side in the engine compartment.

The bed, cab, fenders, and hood all have the same faded old paint. And looking at the chips on it all, it appears to have had one repaint, the same color, over the original factory paint.
Stranger things have happened, but it could have
been wrecked long ago, and the replacement parts
matched the originals in color.

When i was young i was really into 79' Fords and 66'-77' Broncos, had a bunch of them. I was always buying parts trucks to improve what i had, extra parts . A lot of these parts trucks came with titles. The numbers not matching the title could could certainly be 100 percent innocent, someone grabbed the wrong paper work and went to the d.m.v.. The only thing short of getting a refund from the seller would be to get a title matching the numbers you got. I'm betting the truck is not stolen and only needs a replacement "lost" title issued.

I finally spoke with the previous owner. He seemed unaware, and willing to cooperate. So today i called the title agency & sang my song. The clerk said for me to have an out of state inspection done, bring them the form, and they would issue a correct title. I drove straight to the car dealer, that they referred. Paid $40, and later went to the title clerks office with the form. The clerk said, oh, this is a completely different #, i thought it was only one digit off. I asked, so i spent $40 for nothing ? Apparently, the vin on the truck, is not in the system. And the truck has been bought and sold, with the wrong title, in 2010, 2013, 2014, 2017, and to the man i bought it from, in 2019. How i'm the first to catch this baffles my brain. Then the clerk said i need to call their columbus office, and start an investigation. This takes 2-3 weeks, and no guarantee. What fun !

I finally spoke with the previous owner. He seemed unaware, and willing to cooperate. So today i called the title agency & sang my song. The clerk said for me to have an out of state inspection done, bring them the form, and they would issue a correct title. I drove straight to the car dealer, that they referred. Paid $40, and later went to the title clerks office with the form. The clerk said, oh, this is a completely different #, i thought it was only one digit off. I asked, so i spent $40 for nothing ? Apparently, the vin on the truck, is not in the system. And the truck has been bought and sold, with the wrong title, in 2010, 2013, 2014, 2017, and to the man i bought it from, in 2019. How i'm the first to catch this baffles my brain. Then the clerk said i need to call their columbus office, and start an investigation. This takes 2-3 weeks, and no guarantee. What fun !

Well you have the ball rolling. You might have to wait a bit but it will get straightened out even if they issue the truck a new Vin number. At least it doesn't look like there's any shady business going on.

I bought a '73 Challenger years ago and when the seller handed me the title I compared the Vin to the one on the dash and it was totally wrong. I asked what was going on? Apparently the Vin tag on the dash is riveted to the dash pad and someone had changed it. Other numbers on the car matched so I took it home. After a year or so I sold the car to a person in Poland. I told him about the dash pad and he asked if I would just cover the Vin plate with some black tape. So I did. I trimmed it with a razor and you couldn't even see it. No such luck. Customs caught it and they held that car for months. The buyer eventually got it home but what a fiasco.

Why Chrysler riveted that Vin plate to a removable dash pad is beyond me!

Good luck!

Ugh. I’m curious to see how this works out.

Supposedly the previous owner is coming to haul the truck back, and rescind the deal. However today is the second day i've sat waiting on him to show, and receiving text excuses why he hasn't come yet. This morning it was, i cant find a trailer. So i drove to the u haul by me, and sent him a pic of 3 like the one he used to haul it here. Then i get a text saying he has to help his son move things to a storage unit first. I'll give him till monday morning, before i file.

I have a vehicle I bought brand new never changed hands, Il dmv messed up the amount of numbers on title, had one of the other numbers off. I had a loan on it and when the title came to me in the mail it had been like that for 3 years. So I proceeded to fix it, what a mess I said screw it. It matches the last 8 of my VIN and I made the mistake of not catching it on the registration paper.. I have not messed with it. It wasn’t my fault and was going to cost a lot to fix it. ISP thought it was a rebuilt truck etc and it was nothing more than typos . Pissed me off so I said I’ll live with it and probably own till I die...

I have a vehicle I bought brand new never changed hands, Il dmv messed up the amount of numbers on title, had one of the other numbers off. I had a loan on it and when the title came to me in the mail it had been like that for 3 years. So I proceeded to fix it, what a mess I said screw it. It matches the last 8 of my VIN and I made the mistake of not catching it on the registration paper.. I have not messed with it. It wasn’t my fault and was going to cost a lot to fix it. ISP thought it was a rebuilt truck etc and it was nothing more than typos . Pissed me off so I said I’ll live with it and probably own till I die...
You're right, title problems are a mess. I cant sell, strip, drive, or fix up this truck. Its a paper weight, that i don't own, taking up my driveway.

You're right, title problems are a mess. I cant sell, strip, drive, or fix up this truck. Its a paper weight, that i don't own, taking up my driveway.
I don't know in what state you reside, but most
offer a surety bond. To go this route, you'll
have to get a bill of sale from the guy you
bought it from. Make sure to get it notarized.
Kind of a hassle this way, but if the guy
refuses reimbursement, this may be your
only recourse. I've been this route before,
and will be doing it again on my current build.
Leave the title you have out of the process.

Auto Transport Service
Back