• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 62 is alive

dvw

Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
Had my granddaughter and my son working today. My granddaughter pulled the rear diff cover, installed the wheelie bar mount, polished the sill plate, assembled the Kirkey seat tracks, and helped diagnose electrical. Got it running thus Ewing. Not without fanfare. Oil pressure gauge line leaked right thru the braid.. One old carb fitting leaked. One new -10 hose end wouldnt seatand leaked. Fixed 3 minor leaks in the trans yesterday. Alternar doesn't work. Though wiring appears correct. Old Optima is junk. Then it wouldn't idle. Pulled both the carbs apart that I had done a few months ago. Rear carb passenger needle and seat was stuck shut. Retired runs nice. Need to set the crank trigger. Timing is only 26 degrees total. Adjust the oil pressure relief valve it's set about 60 psi. Still have the wheelie bar, acusump, carpet, seats, seat belts to install. Then scale it and adjust preload and shocks. Hope to test Wednesday.
Doug

20230429_105110.jpg

20230429_105121.jpg

20230429_110207.jpg

20230429_111743.jpg

20230429_150936.jpg

Last edited:
Had my granddaughter and my son working today. My granddaughter pulled the rear diff cover, installed the wheelie bar mount, polished the sill plate, assembled the Kirkey seat tracks, and helped diagnose electrical. Got it running thus Ewing. Not without fanfare. Oil pressure gauge line leaked right thru the braid.. One old carb fitting leaked. One new -10 hose end wouldnt seatand leaked. Fixed 3 minor leaks in the trans yesterday. Alternar doesn't work. Though wiring appears correct. Old Optima is junk. Then it wouldn't idle. Pulled both the carbs apart that I had done a few months ago. Rear carb passenger needle and seat was stuck shut. Retired runs nice. Need to set the crank trigger. Timing is only 26 degrees total. Adjust the oil pressure relief valve it's set about 60 psi. Still have the wheelie bar, acusump, carpet, seats, seat belts to install. Then scale it and adjust preload and shocks. Hope to test Wednesday.
Doug

View attachment 1457960

View attachment 1457961

View attachment 1457962

View attachment 1457963

View attachment 1457964
Congratulations, Doug. It looks like she has been raised well!

Doug

View attachment 1457960

View attachment 1457961

View attachment 1457962

View attachment 1457963

View attachment 1457964
I will never have grandkids. You are lucky Doug. Next time put some safety glasses on that girl when she is polishing.
Mike

Had my granddaughter and my son working today. My granddaughter.............

That's as far as I got, when I knew this was best post I've read in awhile.

Good for you Doug!

I will never have grandkids. You are lucky Doug. Next time put some safety glasses on that girl when she is polishing.
Mike
You are right. That was my fault. She has been taught to be safety conscious. Use gloves with solvents, Don't work under a unlocked hoist, etc. She's pretty well educated car girl at 13.
Doug

You are right. That was my fault. She has been taught to be safety conscious. Use gloves with solvents, Don't work under a unlocked hoist, etc. She's pretty well educated car girl at 13.
Doug
My education started at 15. Rebuilt my first engine that summer. It was a one year old Ford 332 in a school bus. The driver gave it too much hell and it really was too small for the load. I'm sure cost to the school had something to do with the size engine. The next 2 years every Saturday it was grease and oil changes, brake repairs, exhaust system work, and misc. because Dad had the school bus maintenance contract with the local school.
Mike

That is awesome working as a family on the race car. I have to know what that aluminum part is that is being sandwiched between the housing and the cover.
Is that a wheelie bar mount?
Gus

That's awesome Doug, congratulations! And thanks for your time and help on my 727! It came together nicely.

Doug
Get her into JR Street class!! My daughter started at 13 and loves it still. 21 now and keeps bringing home trophies.

As was guessed a wheelie bar mount. This us a new style for Cal Tracs. Little stuff thar takes time. Old school style switch panel. Safety cover to activate the trans brake in reverse. Trans brakes aren't legal for N/SS. So the normal release button has been removed. A little heat shield to keep the the engine diaper off the header.
Doug

20230501_111821.jpg

20230501_111721.jpg

20230501_111715.jpg

20230430_132832.jpg

20230430_133304.jpg

Great to see family enjoying your passion with you, Doug. truly a family affair.

So one month to the day. Fortunately I'm retired. So a months worth if long days. My son and grand daughter on weekends and after work. Along with our friend Virginia handling the carpet. Also her and my wife making a very convincing headliner patch panel glued to a headliner with holes you could stick your head thru. Hintbits above the fronOil pressure issues the last two days, carb issues,trabs leaks all solved. Put the hood on tommorow. Scale it, set preload on the Cal Tracs and go test it out. The interior is all original 62 except seats and carpet.
Doug

20230502_145129.jpg

20230502_145156.jpg

20230502_221558.jpg

20230502_221547.jpg

20230502_221613.jpg

20230502_221626.jpg

20230502_221608.jpg

So one month to the day. Fortunately I'm retired. So a months worth if long days. My son and grand daughter on weekends and after work. Along with our friend Virginia handling the carpet. Also her and my wife making a very convincing headliner patch panel glued to a headliner with holes you could stick your head thru. Hintbits above the fronOil pressure issues the last two days, carb issues,trabs leaks all solved. Put the hood on tommorow. Scale it, set preload on the Cal Tracs and go test it out. The interior is all original 62 except seats and carpet.
Doug

View attachment 1459383

View attachment 1459384

View attachment 1459385

View attachment 1459386

View attachment 1459387

View attachment 1459388

View attachment 1459389
Sweet going.

Auto Transport Service
Back