• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The average new car price hit a record $45,000 in September

THAT is my favorite truck and the color combo sets it off better. I had a deal to buy one like it from a dealer in OR years back and btw getting shipping set, another sales guy up and sold it. The sales guy I was dealing with said no problem, he’d hold it for me and ahh that got effed up.
Oh man, I've heard that one more than a few times over my life time!! Did the 'deal' have money down on it?? The 'bait and switch' thing is also common. I could go on and on lol

Oh man, I've heard that one more than a few times over my life time!! Did the 'deal' have money down on it?? The 'bait and switch' thing is also common. I could go on and on lol
Offered to put money down and the sales guy said lemme check on getting this shipped to ya while I did the same. He came up with a sweeter deal than I did for shipping it, so said let’s run what you got going. His cheery chat on the phone then suddenly went gloomy saying “Hey let me call you back.” I figured he must have been looking at his computer finding some ting amiss. So bit later he calls and says “You’re gonna be mad…”.

Decades earlier, recalling this sort a **** show, my mother was all set to buy her ’57 T-Bird AND she plucked down a $100 deposit at the dealer. Well – dealer calls her next morning saying sorry the car was sold and will most certainly give her 100 bucks back. Aha, as the story went…another customer had put down money on the car with another sales guy…supposedly before she had. Hmm, really, almost 24 hours later? She was to say the least, pissed. We figured the other buyer probably offered more cash and they sucked that up for the extra coin rather than venture into telling her what happened, cuz how would they come back saying if you pay us more…after the deal had been agreed to this would stink worse…

Offered to put money down and the sales guy said lemme check on getting this shipped to ya while I did the same. He came up with a sweeter deal than I did for shipping it, so said let’s run what you got going. His cheery chat on the phone then suddenly went gloomy saying “Hey let me call you back.” I figured he must have been looking at his computer finding some ting amiss. So bit later he calls and says “You’re gonna be mad…”.

Decades earlier, recalling this sort a **** show, my mother was all set to buy her ’57 T-Bird AND she plucked down a $100 deposit at the dealer. Well – dealer calls her next morning saying sorry the car was sold and will most certainly give her 100 bucks back. Aha, as the story went…another customer had put down money on the car with another sales guy…supposedly before she had. Hmm, really, almost 24 hours later? She was to say the least, pissed. We figured the other buyer probably offered more cash and they sucked that up for the extra coin rather than venture into telling her what happened, cuz how would they come back saying if you pay us more…after the deal had been agreed to this would stink worse…
Back then I can understand that kind of stuff happening but not today in the computer age. 25 years ago a buddy of mine took a dealer to court over similar crap and won! Got the vehicle that was advertised AND they paid court costs lol. I've bought a few new vehicles over the years but had a buddy in the business and didn't have to put up with suckass sales slobs and whores......

Back then I can understand that kind of stuff happening but not today in the computer age. 25 years ago a buddy of mine took a dealer to court over similar crap and won! Got the vehicle that was advertised AND they paid court costs lol. I've bought a few new vehicles over the years but had a buddy in the business and didn't have to put up with suckass sales slobs and whores......
Realizing this is off the rails of this thread, apologies to the OP, I find it maybe convenient for a dealer to smell when they got a customer real serious on buying a vehicle and saying no need to put cash down after agreeing on the price. Smart? Well in the meantime they may have another come in offering to pay more and they can make that sale without any established hooks, like what I let happen. Yep, today with computers, this would be more difficult to bury…ya know entering time of sale, hold payment, etc. Don’t know if they do this as my last buy from a dealer was still on paper forms, maybe to be entered in a computer later. Could be all entered electronically now at the sales guy's desk.
Of course, now it IS a seller’s market…squeeze it out for the bigger bucks wherever it can be had; such as...ya buy it now or never. Don't know; maybe I’m just too cynical, lol.

We just bought a new 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and it is pretty much within the new average price. Our first Jeep ZJ was a 1993, and if memory serves me it was right around 28k. BTW they are redesigning the Grand Cherokee for 2022 to look like the new Grand Cherokee L. Very different looking front end and not too appealing.

Jeep’s are great vehicles and they last a long time, so no worries. It’s all relative.

To compare pandemic economic declines of the Trump administration to recovery struggles of the Biden is totally unfair to both. As well as unprecedented. Its really not a worthy debate topic. We really have no point of reference. How could either side possibly anticipate a computer chip shortage. At the same time a labor shortage?

How do we fix? We still have people dying from this pandemic. US population actually decreased in 2020. That can't help labor shortage?

The good news? For the first time in, about 50+ years, labor had some political and economic leverage? The wealthy players are now getting hit with losses due to struggling product distribution? As a result? There is metrics showing wages rising. Not by government mandate. But by free enterprise needs and demands.
I don’t know here, my assumption is the pandemic created the chip shortage and we have hundreds of cargo ships floating off the CA shore to be unloaded. The initial relief package IMO, was not well strategized giving stimulus checks to multiple-millions who didn’t need it. The fundamental idea on unemployment entitlements was founded on some legit need; but again went too far. This was always based on getting a job and proving that hunt was occurring, to remove one’s self from unemployment. Not to be picky or unpoliced to lay back cuz receiving unemployment was more lucrative. Unemployment was never intended to be cushy enough to be a source of higher revenue. I could cite some examples of entitlement programs only to be scammed by the skanks smart enough to do it. One such program in my state (WI Shares) was a horrific joke making some scum-sucks millionaires! And, after an investigative efforts by the local press, they uprooted this. More? The gov admitted they established it without any capability to POLICE it. WDF? This sounds real familiar with what’s going on now at the federal level. Yeah, it is an employee’s market now looking at the number of workers switching jobs cuz they can. Employers are begging for people. Meanwhile, some of the underlying reasons + fallout, aren’t all rosy…

I don't think so, growth was slower.
Where did you get this information?

How much did the US population increase from 2019 2020?

The US population was an estimated 329 million on July 1, 2020, growing by 1.2 million in a year, according to newly released estimates from the Census Bureau. This annual growth was a decrease of 22% since 2019. The 0.4% annual growth rate is the lowest since 1918, the year of the Spanish flu pandemic.
AND don't forget all the Illegals crossing the southern border

Very difficult topic and not bring political views? But I have never seen this type of economic (for lack of a better word.) Paradox? We have the demand. We have the supply? We just can't move it? Which is causing inflationary numbers in some sectors. Recessionary numbers in others. And enough finger pointing to please all parties. (I'm starting to get this "Karen" thing now? I think we all have this a little bit deep inside?)

Screenshot_20211014-174858_Gallery.jpg

Very difficult topic and not bring political views? But I have never seen this type of economic (for lack of a better word.) Paradox? We have the demand. We have the supply? We just can't move it? Which is causing inflationary numbers in some sectors. Recessionary numbers in others. And enough finger pointing to please all parties. (I'm starting to get this "Karen" thing now? I think we all have this a little bit deep inside?)

View attachment 1179757
Correct; forgot this is in the GD. Everywhere biz' needs people and can't find 'em so difficult to get things done. My truck should be painted by now and shop has been unable to start on it being backed up.

Auto Transport Service
Back