• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The first "Hawk-Rod" resurrection, Roadkill style

So this week I was finally able to install my reciprocating assembly. I feel like I have measured absolutely everything, and I have, but that way there is no guesswork!

First, I assembled my pistons and rods. Be sure the rods are mounted the correct way. Generally, notches always are mounted outboard, but the rods also have different machined sides depending if they are against the crank or another rod on the journal.
20210713_195001.jpg

Next, I did a final polish of my crank. Polishing it is really a pretty simple and low tech thing. It gets put in a lathe and then a device that runs emery cloth (kind of like a hand held band saw) is laid on each main and journal. You can't take a picture when running as two hands are required, but hopefully this gives the general idea of how it's done.
20210713_215005.jpg

Then it was time to lube everything up and install. First, I dropped in the crank and rear main seal. Here I got an unpleasant surprise (sorry, no pictures). To set up the end play, the #3 cap has to be perfectly aligned top to bottom. This is done by having it snug, but not final tightened, and then whacking the crank with a brass hammer forwards, then backwards. This aligns the thrust bearings to the crank. The end play is supposed to be .004" to .007". Mine is .009" with a brand new crank! There is nothing reasonable that can be done about this, it just means that a bit more oil will squirt out there. But I am annoyed as it means the crank was not made as it should be. There is no time to address it now, and the engine will run fine as it is, but this is a Scat quality control issue.

Some light oil on the rings and piston skirt, plus assembly lube on the bearings, and it was time to install the pistons. Ideally, a fixed metal cone of the exact size can be used to install them (top of picture), but none was available at 4.070, so I used the locking pliers and ring.
20210714_101828.jpg

Before dropping the pistons in, make sure the rings are aligned as needed. The two compression rings should be offset a bit (I use the seam of the piston skirt)...
20210714_110615.jpg

...as should the oil ring seam is on the opposite side (and the small rings above that are also offset - hard to see in picture).
20210714_110635.jpg

Then it is time to whack-a-mole and insert them, being careful not to scratch the crank (note red rag as extra protection in case)!
20210714_115527.jpg

Done! All pistons installed and ready to go!
20210714_152526.jpg

Finally, on the front K-member, it is slowly coming back together. This is the RoadKill part, as I am replacing bushings and alike, but few of the pieces are getting painted and restored. That will need to be for another time.
20210715_094928.jpg

Progress! Hopefully this thing will be done in time for departure on September 7th!

Hawk

Today I spent time removing stuff from the firewall and then doing a "first round" sanding and cleaning. No matter what, with the time I have (7 weeks and counting until we leave on our trip), it will be a hack job. There are some things like the brake booster, wiper motor and A/C blower that we simply don't have time to remove, so we'll have to tape around them.
So it will be a quick spray to make it look better than the black (and dirty) engine compartment that is was. It will at least (hopefully) look better than it did, but mind you, this is not professional job like you'd get from @eldubb440 !

I pounded out some dents in the inner fender. Again, far from perfect, but with some light Bondo, might look a bit better...
20210717_142422.jpg
20210717_142833.jpg

Here is the firewall after "round one" of cleaning. I'll clean and sand at least one more time, then I'll tape it up and paint with the closely matching lemon twist yellow paint I bought at Carlisle.
20210717_203327.jpg

I think the 'ol HawkRod is ready to roll again - I just need to breathe some life back in her!!! But I am realizing that I am really cutting this close. Hopefully our trip across country can happen, but any mistakes or delays (like in needed parts) will likely torpedo plans to go on the 7th of September. I'll keep at it!
20210717_211146.jpg

Hawk,
I feel your pain as I am living through it now. Missed Carlisle and Mopars at the Red Barn!! What I thought was going to be a months worth of work is looking closer to two months. Did make some progress today so maybe the tide is turning.

Hang in there and just keep on doing what you do. Like my wife keeps telling me, if I rush it I wont like how it turns out and I wont have any fun doing it. Isn't that what we are in this for, THE FUN!!! Just wish it was a little lighter on the wallet.

Best of luck, keep the faith.

when Hawk attacks! lol, I've seen this show before

I didn't realize you were planning a trip with it..... you know I'm rooting for you :thumbsup:

Measuring crank end play ?

604EF35A-7F8F-4C63-811C-B997EA171BAC.jpeg

I’ve never done that. What sort of trouble might one encounter if it is too far out of whack?

I must be charmed.
I’ve built several engines and never checked end play or rod side clearance. I always check oil clearance at the rods and mains. I sometimes degree the cam. I try to always file fit the rings.
Good luck Hawk!

Measuring crank end play ?

I’ve never done that. What sort of trouble might one encounter if it is too far out of whack?

It is seldom an issue, especially when reusing a crank - so yours were likely within spec. If you have too much endplay you can get a thud during acceleration and deceleration. A manual transmission can make it sound worse and make for a deep knocking sound, typically when you depress or release the clutch.

How quickly that may damage a crank I don't know - it may just be mostly annoying with an automatic. I would be more worried with a manual and the pressure that puts on the thrust bearing every time you depress the clutch.

You know how some people carefully step through life but always seem to encounter problems? I am not like that. I often stumble around and things turn out okay. I have had some good luck in my life.

You know how some people carefully step through life but always seem to encounter problems? I am not like that. I often stumble around and things turn out okay. I have had some good luck in my life.
I'll take all the luck I can get - throw me some of that as I try to finish this beast! :thumbsup:

LUCK HELL!! Ya got this!! Don't fret the small ****, & the body dings, all good, HAWK'S ROADKILL, COAST TO COAST

FYI: I had my screen name changed from hsorman to HawkRod.

hsorman as a screen name wasn't exactly rolling off the tongue, so hopefully HawkRod is a little more creative and incorporates my name too!

Hawk

...and then, there was Yellow...

Here it is after taping off and taking off lots of stuff on the firewall.
20210719_184105.jpg

Here it is after paint. The color match isn't perfect - it is a little bit too light compared to the body. But I think it still looks a heck of a lot better than it did with the black.
20210719_220242.jpg

It is hardly a perfect paint job. But decent enough to improve the look of the under hood area. Now to let it dry a couple of days and get some engine work done!

Hawk

Nice work Hawk. I had some colour mixed up for mine and it ended up a bit lighter also, but it will do for under the hood.

Fender tag.jpg

Looks Great Hawk. It's all forward progress!! When do you think you will pass through or close to Colorado? We need to have that cold one and swap stories. Hopefully my car will be done and back here by then.

Thanks for the kind words folks. This is definitely "RoadKill" as I am doing stuff that makes me cringe based on the quality of work (looks wise). But time constraints require the car to be drivable and a "nice restoration" needs to take a back seat. I am targeting to have all key safety and drivability elements done - the looks parts have to take a back seat on this car. Assuming we actually make the trip deadline, don't expect much with the car - it's a beater!!!

Looks Great Hawk. It's all forward progress!! When do you think you will pass through or close to Colorado? We need to have that cold one and swap stories. Hopefully my car will be done and back here by then.
Sounds good. We are not sure of our trip itinerary yet - we have a decision point somewhere around Wyoming regarding timing and heading to Oregon vs. heading to towards California and LA area where we have some family. Sit tight and we'll come back with trip plans once things start getting better defined. I'd love to see your car and trade a few stories if we can make it work out!

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back