• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "I'm so old thread......"

I'm so old that I can remember flying across the Atlantic in a four engine prop plane. Younger people today will never get the chance.

I'm so old that I remember eating at:
Arthur Treachers Seafood
Ponderosa
Bonanza
Roy Rogers
Miami Subs
Hardeess
Kenny Rogers Roasters
And usually it was ok (for a preteen)

Number one problem with Oldsters. Why? we don't want to piss our pants or be further than a few feet of a bathroom.
What's old? That was the problem with the 90 yr old who passed out at the wheel, dehydrated. Expensive problem no matter how it turned out. He was lucky he didn't hit someone or solve the problem forever and kill himself. Hospital visit: $$$$$$. Drink water and maybe prevent loss of bladder control...

USE A TREE SON!!! Been doing that for 53 yrs, it works!!
I knew a guy who did pick up and delivery service for a dog kennel. Lots of trips in to NYC, getting stuck in Garden State Pkwy and NJ Turnpike traffic. He was on diuretics so he kept big mayonnaise jars handy.

Arthur Treachers Seafood
Ponderosa
Bonanza
Roy Rogers
Miami Subs
Hardeess
Kenny Rogers Roasters
Yep, we had an AT's and a Dog 'n Suds both gone now 35 years. Their fish & sticks were great and on a hot summer night driving under the canopy at Sud's in my old vert for a root beer float - nice memories.

Still have Roy's around here (Maryland)...not sure if it's just local stuff or if they're still national though. They still make a damn good roast beef sandwich!

Got back from trip from Carlisle to KC, KS then to San Angelo TX, DAIRY QUEEN & saw White Castles, 1 DQ left, Absecon on mainland from AC & WC has been gone over 35 yrs. BELLY BOMBERS after concerts were a MUST.

When I make my tri-annual trips back home - It’s a 100% must that I make a few pilgrimages to White Castle. They still have them all around Mpls/St Paul. I think the franchise may have been born there or maybe it was Chicago - not sure. All I know is back in the day WC was always a midnight stop - usually after more than a few beers a caravan of us with our muscle machines would go grab a sack. Usually the drive-ins would be closed by then. Yeah - as I recall 12 cents a burger. More often ten not seemed like a lot of fights started around there too back then.

Arthur Treachers Seafood
Ponderosa
Bonanza
Roy Rogers
Miami Subs
Hardeess
Kenny Rogers Roasters
I can't remember the name of the place we went to in MA but they made great pita pockets. I was there with some friends when one of them cut the biggest fart in the world and the entire shop went silent, until he started laughing his *** off!

Well Friendly Ice Cream was pretty big and common around here and they made awesome shrimp pitas around 94 ish. They're a shadow of their former self, the food quality and service spiraled down hill for the most part. D'Angelo and Blimpie are other chains that specialize in sandwich s but I don't go there for whatever reason.

Well Friendly Ice Cream was pretty big and common around here and they made awesome shrimp pitas around 94 ish. They're a shadow of their former self, the food quality and service spiraled down hill for the most part. D'Angelo and Blimpie are other chains that specialize in sandwich s but I don't go there for whatever reason.
I remembered D'Angelos while I was at the gym tonight. I'm pretty sure that was the place of the massive and spontaneous gas explosion my friend survived.
They built a Friendly's across the street from where I used to live and I went there way too often.
A great ice cream place that's still there is Kimballs in Littleton MA. If you're in the area it's worth going out of your way and go there. They have their own dairy cows and make the ice cream on site. When I was a kid and went there in the summer it would be packed out in to the street with 10 windows open. They don't skimp when they make their stuff, they pile it on. Glad it's not near me now or I'd be several hundred pounds. :)

Have you flown in a SBD Dauntless? Or a B-17?
No, civilian aircraft only. That trans-Atlantic flight was in a Bristol Britannia. That was in 1965.
1660188017084.png

How long did it take?
I was LUCKY to get a flight on an SBD. Not cheap.
I actually don't remember the entire flight time, but it wasn't non-stop. After taking off from Vancouver, we had to refuel in Sondrestrom, Greenland before continuing to Germany. (The sun was still up after midnight). Cruising speed of the Britannia was only 357 mph.

Auto Transport Service
Back