• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "I'm so old thread......"

I'll admit to having my wife grab me by the ankles and pulling me back out from under the dash before...:lol:

As an aside though, to complete the OP's statement:
"I'm so old...." that watching relatives and friends pass on before me has gotten intolerable.
Almost gratefully, I can now realize there are but very few of either left alive now, in fact.
I'm so gun-shy about the subject though...pets about gut me when they pass, big name
folks I've met really bother me when they go....

I'm not really sure what my point here is, other than to wonder why the guy who's actually been
flatlined several times (me) remains while the others have mostly gone?

Sorry, I went morbid with this. Please resume jocularity, don't mind me....
The Lord works in mysterious ways sir! There’s a reason he wants you to be here. From what I read of your post, (and I read most all) you’re a good man and I think he knows you’ve got a lot to offer. Take care and enjoy every minute!

No. I have no chronic or everyday pain. Hands, elbows, knees and hips are fine.
I do have a bulged disc in my back that hides most of the time but will flare up a couple times a year. That can often be squashed with Ibuprofen, Flexoril and some rest for 5-7 days.
I take no prescription medications.
It could be genetics, it could be due to lifestyle. I've never been a smoker, I rarely drink and don't use drugs.
I’ve got to say, I feel great for as long as I’ve been doing this. I don’t have any real aches, pains, no medication, nothing except some arthritis in my neck area. Doc says it’s from all my past shoulder injuries and falls. I do have a hernia about the size of my fist, I’ve had for 6 years. One of these days, when I can find the time to not do anything for 8-9 weeks, I’ll get it fixed. I can’t stand a long weekend, I take care of the honey do list in a couple hours, work on one of the vehicles, whatever, I can’t just sit! No alcohol or drugs here either.

I've found that taking a light source into dark places makes it easier to see things.
I do use 3 magnetic lights. I just can't see without glasses.They are never in the proper sight line with what I am trying to do. Very frustrating.The older I get the less patience I have.
As far as all of us with health issues, major or minor, my brother had a saying "It can always be worse."
That rings in my ear when I complain .

watching relatives and friends pass on before me has gotten intolerable
I tend to reflect on my past days when doing one project or another and a lot of that was with people who influenced and taught me things that have passed on. My folks, FIL, old bosses (the good ones) friends, etc. Suppose it has some to do being retired now where I’m no longer in a hurry to do things giving my mind some wandering time. Still use a few of my dad’s tools and remember him using them 60 years ago. What I’ll think about is how knowledgeable-wise they were, getting through life that was difficult in their time, sharing their skills with me and my working to acquire what knowhow they had. Then, all that knowledge and ability they acquired, just gone with their passing.

Drummed up the gumption to deliver a eulogy at my FIL’s wake and said I doubt he wants to just rest in peace, as is often the wish for those who pass on. He loved working, building things in his shop, and said it could be the Lord needed his skills elsewhere, after he gave him time to acquire them here. If this is the case, there are a lot of people we knew and loved who are applying their wisdom and skills – just reassigned elsewhere.

I tend to reflect on my past days when doing one project or another and a lot of that was with people who influenced and taught me things that have passed on. My folks, FIL, old bosses (the good ones) friends, etc. Suppose it has some to do being retired now where I’m no longer in a hurry to do things giving my mind some wandering time. Still use a few of my dad’s tools and remember him using them 60 years ago. What I’ll think about is how knowledgeable-wise they were, getting through life that was difficult in their time, sharing their skills with me and my working to acquire what knowhow they had. Then, all that knowledge and ability they acquired, just gone with their passing.

Drummed up the gumption to deliver a eulogy at my FIL’s wake and said I doubt he wants to just rest in peace, as is often the wish for those who pass on. He loved working, building things in his shop, and said it could be the Lord needed his skills elsewhere, after he gave him time to acquire them here. If this is the case, there are a lot of people we knew and loved who are applying their wisdom and skills – just reassigned elsewhere.
A wonderful sentiment, beautifuly expressed sir. Thank you. :thumbsup:

I do use 3 magnetic lights. I just can't see without glasses.They are never in the proper sight line with what I am trying to do. Very frustrating.The older I get the less patience I have.
As far as all of us with health issues, major or minor, my brother had a saying "It can always be worse."
I had similar problems with my glasses with progressive lenses, I had to get straight reading glasses for things like welding and close up overhead work.

No. I have no chronic or everyday pain. Hands, elbows, knees and hips are fine.
I do have a bulged disc in my back that hides most of the time but will flare up a couple times a year. That can often be squashed with Ibuprofen, Flexoril and some rest for 5-7 days.
I take no prescription medications.
It could be genetics, it could be due to lifestyle. I've never been a smoker, I rarely drink and don't use drugs.
Physical work probably helped. I remember reading a study of siblings during my tour as a medical writer. One group stayed in Ireland, and worked physical jobs, smoked, and drank. Other group emigrated to US, lived sedentary lifestyle. Way higher early mortality from heart issues for US cohort as a group, compared to the Irish siblings.

I'm mostly Irish yet I don't smoke and rarely drink. That probably confuses my people.

ha ha 2.jpg

Here’s the worst thing you will probably hear today, but here goes…

I’m so old I remember when Puff Daddy was what the poor kids did.

I’m sorry.
I'm so old I remember Puff the Magic Dragon .

I'm so old I remember when $3 filled the gas tank...

My old supervisor Said he was told one time. Cheer up things could be worse, so he cheered up and things sure as hell got worse!!

So I brought my new 65" TV for the bedroom home and set it up. I still have to use my glasses sometimes, dammit.

Auto Transport Service
Back