• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"The most wonderful time of the year".....Balderdash!

It will be back in the 50's next week. No big deal. Maybe I hope we don't have a "bomb cyclone" this winter.

Please don't take offense, but one of my favorite questions to ask folks is "why do you choose to live there?"
It's nothing accusatory - I'm genuinely curious as to how folks wind up where they do oftentimes.

I live where I do because this is where I grew up. My business keeps me here along with children & now grandchildren.

If not for kids & grandkids, I'd sell the business and move from Massachusetts in a heartbeat, or at least go elsewhere in the cold weather months.

Please don't take offense, but one of my favorite questions to ask folks is "why do you choose to live there?"
It's nothing accusatory - I'm genuinely curious as to how folks wind up where they do oftentimes.
Same here. Grew up here and most of my kids and grandkids are here. I do love Colorado and do choose to live here but if not for my kids I'd move to the tropics where you don't need to own a coat. The Summers here are awesome but do hate the cold these days.

That's great in both your cases, gentlemen - but I was actually asking @Sahara :)
But now, come to think of it - since I am always curious about why people choose to live anywhere,
by all means folks, chime in here regardless of where you are! :thumbsup:

I know you were, but I thought I'd respond anyway with my story.

This may fall on deaf ears but we get no snow.
It all is a matter of what you are used to. When a millionaire complains about his tax burden, nobody in the middle class cares.
It will get down into the low 20s here sometimes but not for long. Daytime highs can range between the mid 40s and mid 50s. Compare that to the warm Spring, Summer and Fall months and the Winter time just sucks. Snow is about an hour east if I want to experience it.
The short days is a big part of it. I hate when Daylight Saving Time ends, it feels like a bill just came due and you were not ready to pay it.
I couldn't agree more, I hate this time of the year more and more but you just adjust and make the best of it. So far we've been fortunate, it hasn't dipped below 20 yet and only snowed enough to accumulate once. For me it's a combination of the rain (mud), the tree's loosing their leaves, the short days and the salt on the roads. If winter was never warmer than 32 degrees and there was always 6" of snow on the ground I'd be happy.
To make matters worse my brother bought a Can Am and runs back and forth through my yard destroying it every winter!! I don't think he grasp the concept that grass doesn't grow back in the winter, every spring I'm reseeding my yard!

Winter is my time to knock out projects, with a heated garage I'm finishing up dad's truck while finishing the last room in our basement.. winter is project time.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t care if it was -40 as long as the sun was shining. The short days and lack of sunshine are my issues as well. I chose Illinois because I love high taxes, crooked government, crappy roads and rude people.

I wouldn’t care if it was -40 as long as the sun was shining. The short days and lack of sunshine are my issues as well. I chose Illinois because I love high taxes, crooked government, crappy roads and rude people.
hell you could get that anywhere

For me the benefits of living in the midwest
( iowa) are worth dealing with a little below zero and snow.
I do not really enjoy urban & city areas.
Most of our family are still here, I think it would be hard just to pull up roots and move out of state.
If I did , prob North or South Dakota, similar way of life, near the same climate.

Reasons why I stay?
Probably the same as everyone else.
Born and raised here.
Went to school, met my wife and raised my family here. Kids and now grandkids are the ultimate anchor. I was brought up right, and always proud to say I was from Pennsylvania, not so proud of that anymore. Live your life locally is all I will expound on that.
As far as weather, we are always in the corridor of the "noreaster". The one coming Wednesday is predicting 18". You sort of live with it, get numb to it, or keep bitching about it. Contentment is the key to happiness, and a bigger garage......:D

For me, snow is something you drive a couple hours to, play in for a while, then drive back home where it is warm.
And my favorite day of the year is Dec 26. Cause that means christmas is as far away as it can be.

hell you could get that anywhere
It was sarcasm, lol. I’m born and raised here. Family and career keeps me here. The state is definitely going to **** quick. We’re looking at relocating to Florida in 10years. We’l see how that pans out.

It's not bad here in Missouri, not perfect, but it works. I stay because of my kids, I'm 64 and retired at 52, work for me is no excuse at this point. Greg, if you don't like your weather and you think it's starting to get cold, you better not move out this way.

I'm hoping to retire in 10 years. Would love to retire back to my homeland (PA), but politically I can't do it. It's not the same Pennsylvania I grew up in. Probably stay in NE Ohio.

I'm begging my gf to quit working and we can hit the road in search for more sun. I'm sick of living winters in 'the grey planet'. I think I have her considering quitting net year.

Living here means mediocrity in all things weather wise....you guys take the piss out of it always raining here....but many places in the US get far more. I like the South Coast UK weather....it never gets too hot....not many days per year over about 80f....and it never gets too cold...25F would be a REALLY cold day....North UK would be worse though..... Which is surprising when you consider that we in the South are on the same latitude as New York and Moscow and the amount of snow they get....its the Gulf stream bringing the warm water and air up from the Caribbean that keeps us warmer than we should be...I still surf Cornwall in the middle of winter!! No snow here, at least not more than a dusting, since 2010!

Last edited:
I've lived all around the US & the world... California has some of the best weather & at the very least equal scenery to anywhere I've been.... Unfortunately we have the worst politics & the worst drivers, We have more than our share of rude people but I've met plenty of those elsewhere so I figure thats life...

Many times I've considered leaving but more than anything the weather keeps me here.... Besides I have to much crap to move...

Auto Transport Service
Back