• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "new" model Challenger, any thoughts?

In 2002 I bought a derelict 1973 Challenger. I had my Charger for myself but the Wife thought she'd like a classic car of her own. I went through the Challenger doing everything: Body and paint, suspension/brakes and steering, interior...I stuffed a 440 and a 727 in it and it was a great runner.
The Wife didn't like the seating position or the visibility. From the outside, the car looked great. To drive it, she was not comfortable.
When the LC model Challengers first came out in 2008, we went to a nearby dealer to see them up close. Wow, what a great design. Modern looking but true to the original as well. We surely couldn't afford to buy an SRT at $40,000 + in 2008 when the economy was weak and my construction work was so spotty.
Over the years I thought about buying a wreck or theft recovery and "restoring" it, all in the interest of saving a few bucks while getting the car that the Wife wanted. In early 2014, I saw the advanced promotional pictures of what the 2015 models would look like. New front and rear styling, improved interior and that sweet 8 speed automatic!
We ordered one in B5 blue the first week that the color was released for sale in January 2015. The car arrived mid March. I was a bit concerned that the visibility might be a problem for her with this car but we ordered a few features to help out: Blind spot monitoring and a backup camera. These may have become standard since then but they do help.
As for the rest of the car....
It is tight and quiet, feels solid and capable. It is comfortable and gets great mileage for what it is. The Wife holds the top speed in it but I'm not divulging the number on an open forum.

Thank you all for sharing the experience.
Sometimes with certain cars are common problems, issues or weak spots but i guess nobody has came across any with that car.

I will keep an eye out on them here, at some point the right model, color etc. will come along. :)

Order two hellcat demons, one for u, and one for me ! Think I`d give up my 68 -505" fastback for one !

I have a 2012 R/T Classic 6 Speed manual. I like the car alot. Just turned 36,000 miles & trouble free so far.

IMG_20140814_152057_962.jpg

That's a nice blue color as well!
I always tend to go for a black car, but on this car i think i rather go for something else.
Stands out so much better in silver, Orange or Blue for that matter.

That's a nice blue color as well!
I always tend to go for a black car, but on this car i think i rather go for something else.
Stands out so much better in silver, Orange or Blue for that matter.

Better shot not in the shade.

IMG_20140724_210408_121 (6).jpg

Thank you all for sharing the experience.
Sometimes with certain cars are common problems, issues or weak spots but i guess nobody has came across any with that car.

I will keep an eye out on them here, at some point the right model, color etc. will come along. :)

I don't have any personal experience but a good friend of mine bought a Challenger SXT (V6 auto) the first year they came out. He liked the car a lot but there was always something going on in the front end on it. He had the dealer replace a bunch of steering components on it over the years as it had a strong appetite for ball joints, tie rods, and the like. He eventually got tired of fixing it and traded it in... on a Honda! It was OK since he still had his '70 6BBL Roadrunner in the garage... :p Other then the questionable front end, he did quite like the car.

IMG_0553.JPG

This is how my other half deals with the no-c pillar in the 09 when she is wearing out the clutch. Doesn't help, she thinks it does. Those are my cheesy Costco seat covers. On since day one.

9BAAD8A6-8812-45EA-969D-E0E5936D3127.jpeg
FE74FAB5-77EC-40C5-B13B-4588FBD09956.jpeg
9A522B14-37BF-42FC-B862-C301D67EE7BF.jpeg
I have a ‘17 T/a 392 with a 6 spd. It was “the compromise.” Although is Love to get back into the vintage game, there is too much money involved, and who knows what problems will crop up.
My challenger is fast, comfortable, cool as **** looking, and it has a warranty! I absolutely love it.

I bought a 2014 RT Classic last year in Hemi Orange with White stripes. The 375 HP 5.7 Hemi could use additional power. My car is a 6 speed, which I changed the air cleaner and put Flow master duels on it and just ordered a rear window louver. I forgot to mention i did change out the shifter mechanism as well, utilizing a Barton mechanism I think the car is solid built and Sounds and looks great. I still turn a lot of heads when I
VZM.IMG_20160915_155403.jpg
2014 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Hemi Orange.jpg
i bring it out for show.. If I do it again I will buy a used Hellcat probably next year.

I would imagine they would have the same problems as the 300s since they are built on the same platform.
I learned to drive in a 70 Challenger.

This is our 09 R/T classic we bought it new right out of the showroom. We love the car,i'm selling of some of my project cars to buy a Hellcat Challenger!
20170625_104339.jpg

[QUmore ="chargervert, post: 910820360, member: 407"]This is our 09 R/T classic we bought it new right out of the showroom. We love the car,i'm selling of some of my project cars to buy a Hellcat Challenger!View attachment 541270[/QUOTE]
One more
20170625_104322.jpg
20170625_104322.jpg

I have had a 2010 R/T and currently have a 2012 SXT. With that being said, I only have one complaint, and that is the same with all of these Challengers. BLIND SPOTS!!! Both sides. Hard to see when changing lanes, and impossible to see when backing out of a parking spot. Other than that I love them. I am 6 ft 6 and getting in and out is a breeze. I have to modify the seats in most of my vehicles for more leg room. I did not have to do that in the Challengers.

image.jpg image.jpg

Not long ago i did a test drive in an '13 R/T Challenger and also found out the massive blind spot it has for looking towards the back.
Many newer models i've seen coming across for sale have a camera installed for reverse which is really needed.
Also had a better look at the newer models Charger and also is a nice option, i like the new model more then the old one.
But i really like the new style interior/dash and steering wheel.
Some nice rides coming across here in this thread.

But the 5.7 R/T is a no go, i can feel it lacks power compared to my Infiniti FX50S.
For now i will put it on hold a bit as these newer models are still pretty expensive and i've seen a few nice ones coming along with very low milage but still will cost around $90K :(

IMG_0653.PNG
Not long ago i did a test drive in an '13 R/T Challenger and also found out the massive blind spot it has for looking towards the back.
Many newer models i've seen coming across for sale have a camera installed for reverse which is really needed.
Also had a better look at the newer models Charger and also is a nice option, i like the new model more then the old one.
But i really like the new style interior/dash and steering wheel.
Some nice rides coming across here in this thread.

But the 5.7 R/T is a no go, i can feel it lacks power compared to my Infiniti FX50S.
For now i will put it on hold a bit as these newer models are still pretty expensive and i've seen a few nice ones coming along with very low milage but still will cost around $90K :(

5.7 lacks power? Hmm. Wow. Is this it? Opinion: Ugly!

Last edited:
The 5.7 is great on its own. Comparing it to the 6.1, the 6.4, Hellcat or Demon is another matter. The 5.7 is a mid 14 second performer, a 4100 lb car that seats 4 comfortably...
The SUV? Who cares how fast it is...They are basically a minivan anyway!

I just can't drive a $35k truck that looks that goofy. Coworkers have these, Cubes, and other awful looking stuff. Usually, it fits the driver. They (the millennial designers) don't know what to do anymore, so the they give them retarded looking twisted faces when the led's etc are on at night. Unlike the bitchin face of a new Hellcat that says get out of the way, I am the King.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back