• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Proper way to cook a Rib Eye steak

What’s the difference between brisket and tri tip?

I pan sear a lot of my steaks. Seasoning salt and pepper before they hit the pan. Then more salt on the plate. Honestly I don’t prefer flame or pan fried. It’s steak as long as it hot and bloody it’s all good.

My wife is having a hard time finding tri-tip here in Texas.

I have a hard time finding it here. We have a Fairway grocery chain here that has a big meat counter and I think I should be able to get some there. It's fun to walk in and hear the meat saw singing in the back of the store.

fairway2.jpg

I saw a package of fresh side pork the other day I need to try. Smoked bacon. What's not to like. I have some Maple.

I agree with the others that a good Ribeye cut needs nothing but some salt/garlic salt and pepper on it.

I had a really thick one about 2.5" and couldn't keep the charcoal from tiring out. Ended up in a skillet, but, that was the first time ever. After 20 minutes of cooking it was still cold in the middle. Nice char lines from grille, into the skillet to heat it up. Came out OK. I like the grille best when the charcoal cooperates.
Going to have to build a guard to not spread the coal out so much in the grille. About the only good thing I saw from that foo-foo sauce stuff being slathered on a perfectly good steak.

I prefer my ribeye or prime rib medium rare. Had some at christmas prime that a friend cooked and no pink at all, well done. WTF is that. Cook all the juice out of it. Its a free meal so I don't complain, not the preference.

Last edited:
Tried to buy a tri tip a few years back while on vacation at the Outer Banks, NC. Dudes at the store looked at me like I had three heads. The more I tried to explain what I was looking for the worse it got.

I'm not ashamed to admit that the way I do ribeye is basically from a Gordon Ramsay video.
Of all the ways it can be done, I've tried most of them. Some are better than others...
These days, it's real simple for me:

- Pan medium-high temp; it's ready when a small amount of oil just starts to smoke
(since I don't use my beloved cast iron much anymore due to glass top stove, this means a
good heavy stainless one with a brass base - yes, electric stoves suck)
- Steaks are out of the fridge 20 minutes minimum before cooking; light brush with oil, liberal
amounts of fresh-ground salt and pepper rubbed in all sides (more than you think you need)
- Steaks in, going for a quick sear on both sides - depends on thickness, usually about a minute
to a minute and a half
- After second flip, introduce butter and fresh chopped garlic into the pan. Baste steaks liberally
for a minute; flip one last time, repeating basting process
- Pull them out the pan to relax on the plate for a couple minutes

Not only about the easiest way to do ribeyes, but about the tastiest way also - and it works great
on the sort of steaks typically available on sale at the local chain grocery, which let's face it -
aren't exactly the best quality in the world.

In all my years I can honestly say I have never cooked a steak on a stove. Steak belongs on a grill, charcoal is best but gas will do the job if your in a hurry. I live in the center of beef country USA and around here I'm pretty sure if you get caught cooking a ribeye in a frying pan you could be arrested.

I'm not ashamed to admit that the way I do ribeye is basically from a Gordon Ramsay video.
Of all the ways it can be done, I've tried most of them. Some are better than others...
These days, it's real simple for me:

- Pan medium-high temp; it's ready when a small amount of oil just starts to smoke
(since I don't use my beloved cast iron much anymore due to glass top stove, this means a
good heavy stainless one with a brass base - yes, electric stoves suck)
- Steaks are out of the fridge 20 minutes minimum before cooking; light brush with oil, liberal
amounts of fresh-ground salt and pepper rubbed in all sides (more than you think you need)
- Steaks in, going for a quick sear on both sides - depends on thickness, usually about a minute
to a minute and a half
- After second flip, introduce butter and fresh chopped garlic into the pan. Baste steaks liberally
for a minute; flip one last time, repeating basting process
- Pull them out the pan to relax on the plate for a couple minutes

Not only about the easiest way to do ribeyes, but about the tastiest way also - and it works great
on the sort of steaks typically available on sale at the local chain grocery, which let's face it -
aren't exactly the best quality in the world.
I have a cast iron pan that fits my small Old Smoky just right.....but why is cast iron bad to use on an electric stove? I did some burgers on the stove recently and man, rather do them on the OS.

...but why is cast iron bad to use on an electric stove?
I've never heard this? I think it might be the reason that electric is a more concentrated heat than gas that can warp cast iron if you're not careful? Also electric takes longer to cool down over gas, so that could be the reason too? My C.I seems to get hotter with electric, I have a glass top stove and when I turn it on to high, it's hot right off the bat compared to the coil type electric that seems to take forever to heat up. You really have to pay attention, that's for sure!

I've never heard this? I think it might be the reason that electric is a more concentrated heat than gas that can warp cast iron if you're not careful? Also electric takes longer to cool down over gas, so that could be the reason too? My C.I seems to get hotter with electric, I have a glass top stove and when I turn it on to high, it's hot right off the bat compared to the coil type electric that seems to take forever to heat up. You really have to pay attention, that's for sure!
Mine is a glass top too. What I don't like about gas is that it throws off a lot of heat. Great in the winter time but not so good in the summer....plus having gas isn't all the cheap anymore.

The only electricity powered stovetop/cooktop that has the INSTANT control of "heat output level" of gas is a magnetic induction unit, but that requires the cooking utensils (pots, pans, skillets) MUST be magnetic.
For those not familiar with the technology, the heating elements actually generate heat by magnetically exciting the molecules of the cooking utensil, say a skillet. It makes the molecules of the skillet rapidly move, creating friction and heat.
I put a pot of water to boil on the cook top my parents had, and once it was boiling, I turned it down to about 1/3rd power. The water would boil when the element "kicked on" and stop in the time it cycled off.
My preference is gas.

What I don't like about gas is that it throws off a lot of heat. Great in the winter time but not so good in the summer....plus having gas isn't all the cheap anymore.

The boys talk about that here!

Low and slow. Nutting but a dab of salt and pepper. and some butter for good measure if cooking on a flat top.
If on a grill. delete the butter

I have a cast iron pan that fits my small Old Smoky just right.....but why is cast iron bad to use on an electric stove? I did some burgers on the stove recently and man, rather do them on the OS.
Purely to avoid scratching the glass. Cast iron works fine otherwise on these stoves if you don't mind the damage.
I do miss cooking in my "family" cast iron pans, though - I have some from two and three generations back in
the family that I actually learned how to cook in.

Auto Transport Service
Back