• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Prorac 1968 sport satellite convertible restoration thread

Prorac1

Local time
3:41 AM
Reaction score
Hello B Body Brethren!

This thread is to document me and my sons (Prorac2) progress on our convertible project.

Some of you familiar with FABO will remember our build thread over there.

For those who have no idea who we are and want to waste 2 hours of their life reading about 3 dummies and their antics, the threads here.

Father, Son, and Grand Father project. 1963 Valiant

I find that documenting a project is therapeutic, and can often times remind you of feelings, emotions, and moments in time that you had all but forgotten about.

It also helps keep me motivated. The Mopar family are some of the most helpful, kind, and generous of any I’ve met. And I’m proud to be among you all.

Now, on with the meat and potatoes!

For starters, here’s where the “magic” happens. Lol.

IMG_3848.jpeg

IMG_3895.jpeg
IMG_3894.jpeg
IMG_3893.jpeg

This is the same shop that the restoration thread above occurred in. It’s also where my Valiant was initially restored. It’s also where my father taught me the fundamentals of automotive repair. It’s my home away from home……my dojo.

Here’s what we’re starting with.

IMG_3875.jpeg
IMG_3877.jpeg
IMG_3878.jpeg
IMG_3876.jpeg

IMG_5853.jpeg

It’s already had new rear quarters attached, a “better” front clip/apron/ front frame rails, and trunk drops installed.

The camera is very forgiving to this car. Lol. It’s a lot rougher than it looks.

Thank you so much for reading. Much more to come.

Last edited:
Nice! Looking forward to the progress! I need some inspiration for my ‘68… and I need to get on it. :)

The back story.

Here’s how it all started.

When I was about 14 years old my cousin and his father fixed up a 1968 GTX. QQ1 blue. I still remember walking in their barn and seeing the car for the first time.

It was one of those defining moments we all have in our lives. To this day I’ve never had an automobile design move me like the 1968-1970 B Body did. My Valiant will always be my girl, my first car…but the B Body was always on my bucket list.

Here’s a pic of my cousins car from back then.

IMG_6462.jpeg

He sold the car in the late 90s to someone in Kentucky.

Which leads us to the convertible

I’ve known this car since about 1998

I pulled into my uncles driveway in the late 90s for a visit, and saw a b body convertible under a tarp. I was estatic!

Who’s was it?

My uncle was working on it for his friend Jimmy…The local junk guy…which explains a lot about the state of the car.

I’m pretty positive it was someone’s parts car that Jimmy hauled out when they were done with it. It’s an odd conglomeration of mis matched parts. So we’ve been collecting all the hard to find stuff as we come across it.

Anyways…Jimmy ran out of parts and money temporarily, so he hauled the car home and shoved it under a tarp.

Jimmy had a heart attack a couple years later and passed away. His kids auctioned all his stuff off and I lost track of the car.

Fast forward to May 2019. We were getting the exhaust on Jason‘s Valiant done at a friends shop.

We started talking about our favorite cars as we were working. I told him that I always like B bodies.

He said he had one tucked away in a barn across the highway and asked if I would like to see it. I said sure.

On the drive over I told him about the one my uncle worked on and that we lost track of it.

When we arrive, here’s what we drove up to.

IMG_6153.jpeg

Inside…buried…we found the car. THE CAR.

The same car my uncle worked on for Jimmy 20 years earlier.

Joe bought it from auction and tucked it away and lost interest.

Here’s what we unburied. Lol

IMG_6154.jpeg
IMG_6155.jpeg
IMG_6156.jpeg

I purchased the car, along with a complete 1967 non hp 383 for dirt cheap.

It was missing a lot of parts, but the purchase price made up a lot of difference. So we hauled it home.

IMG_6157.jpeg

We too put it in storage for a couple of years and took care of some other life priorities.

But now it’s time to start picking away at it on the weekends.

Thank you for reading. More to come.

If you need one, I think I've got and extra upper section of a 68 satellite convertible quarter panel (passenger side I think...I'd have to look)

If you need one, I think I've got and extra upper section of a 68 satellite convertible quarter panel (passenger side I think...I'd have to look)

Thank you sir. But the rear quarter panels are one of the only decent parts on the car. Lol

It is looking like I’m going to need a lower front windshield Chanel though. Lol

We started the tear down process. Before starting I figured we would test the top mechanism. It moved pretty ok. But had air in the system. I just wanted to test the motor and cylinders before tear down.

IMG_8170.jpeg
IMG_8171.jpeg

We removed the windshield trim and dash. As expected the windshield channel will need some attention, but everything came off fairly drama free.

Then we removed the windshield. Lol

IMG_3960.jpeg
IMG_3958.jpeg
IMG_3959.jpeg

IMG_8208.jpeg

Thanks for reading. More to come.

Also pulled the heater box out.

Good news. We finally found a spot on the car that is rust free…so that’s cool. Lol

And all the doors move inside freely.

IMG_4022.jpeg
IMG_4023.jpeg

Also removed the fender, grill, headlight surrounds, bumper filler panel, and upper grill piece.

Lots of categorizing and organizing.

IMG_3999.jpeg
IMG_3998.jpeg
IMG_4012.jpeg
IMG_4013.jpeg

Thanks for reading. More to come

Time to clear off the firewall.

Master cylinder and stiffening plate.

IMG_4015.jpeg

IMG_4024.jpeg

Wiper motor. 1 believe it’s a 3 speed. I don’t know exactly if that’s good or bad. But it’s a 3 speed. Seemingly in decent shape only a couple shredded wires.

IMG_4016.jpeg
IMG_4017.jpeg
IMG_3981.jpeg

Also removed the accelerator pedal assembly. Broke two bolts. Not thrilled. Regrouped. Live to fight another day. Lol

Last edited:
Nice project and a cool story and history...Congrats on finding it all these years later!

Looks like it may have had the whole front inner front subframe/inner fender assembly replaced at some time? Is the car originally a light blue colour?

Nice project and a cool story and history...Congrats on finding it all these years later!

Looks like it may have had the whole front inner front subframe/inner fender assembly replaced at some time? Is the car originally a light blue colour?
That's what I was thinking

That's what I was thinking

Yeah. My uncle clipped the front end 20 years ago. It needs the drivers side inner replaced, but the rails are mint.

Yes. The car was originally UU1 blue. We’re kinda leaning that way but are not completely sold on it yet. Seems to depend on the lighting and the day. Lol.

Thanks. Eric L

Last edited:
The back story.

Here’s how it all started.

When I was about 14 years old my cousin and his father fixed up a 1968 GTX. QQ1 blue. I still remember walking in their barn and seeing the car for the first time.

It was one of those defining moments we all have in our lives. To this day I’ve never had an automobile design move me like the 1968-1970 B Body did. My Valiant will always be my girl, my first car…but the B Body was always on my bucket list.

Here’s a pic of my cousins car from back then.

View attachment 1529085

He sold the car in the late 90s to someone in Kentucky.

Which leads us to the convertible

I’ve known this car since about 1998

I pulled into my uncles driveway in the late 90s for a visit, and saw a b body convertible under a tarp. I was estatic!

Who’s was it?

My uncle was working on it for his friend Jimmy…The local junk guy…which explains a lot about the state of the car.

I’m pretty positive it was someone’s parts car that Jimmy hauled out when they were done with it. It’s an odd conglomeration of mis matched parts. So we’ve been collecting all the hard to find stuff as we come across it.

Anyways…Jimmy ran out of parts and money temporarily, so he hauled the car home and shoved it under a tarp.

Jimmy had a heart attack a couple years later and passed away. His kids auctioned all his stuff off and I lost track of the car.

Fast forward to May 2019. We were getting the exhaust on Jason‘s Valiant done at a friends shop.

We started talking about our favorite cars as we were working. I told him that I always like B bodies.

He said he had one tucked away in a barn across the highway and asked if I would like to see it. I said sure.

On the drive over I told him about the one my uncle worked on and that we lost track of it.

When we arrive, here’s what we drove up to.

View attachment 1529086

Inside…buried…we found the car. THE CAR.

The same car my uncle worked on for Jimmy 20 years earlier.

Joe bought it from auction and tucked it away and lost interest.

Here’s what we unburied. Lol

View attachment 1529087View attachment 1529088View attachment 1529089

I purchased the car, along with a complete 1967 non hp 383 for dirt cheap.

It was missing a lot of parts, but the purchase price made up a lot of difference. So we hauled it home.

View attachment 1529090

We too put it in storage for a couple of years and took care of some other life priorities.

But now it’s time to start picking away at it on the weekends.

Thank you for reading. More to come.
Welcome to FBBO’s!
IMG_3926.gif
IMG_3890.gif
IMG_3817.gif
IMG_3528.gif
IMG_2869.gif
IMG_3976.png
PICT0065.jpeg
PICT0063.jpeg
PICT0066.jpeg

Welcome aboard! I have a 68 Sport Satellite drop top as well! Mine is a Nevada car that was built in St. Louis, one of the earliest I’ve seen so far. If I can be of assistance shoot me a pm. Mine is 383 ac, pdb, auto bucket seat car.. I wanted RR or GTX ,but stumbled upon it and love it more because of it being what it is.

Welcome aboard! I have a 68 Sport Satellite drop top as well! Mine is a Nevada car that was built in St. Louis, one of the earliest I’ve seen so far. If I can be of assistance shoot me a pm. Mine is 383 ac, pdb, auto bucket seat car.. I wanted RR or GTX ,but stumbled upon it and love it more because of it being what it is.

Thank you so much! I will definitely be taking you up on that.

Last edited:
Not to much to update today. Slow steady progress.

More disassembly. We got the trunk lid removed and the trim around the convertible top well removed and categorized

The trunk lid itself has a few spots on the lip that are going to need attention. And there’s quite a bit of rust and junk trapped inside of it. I’m pretty sure we’re going to end up having that dipped chemically along with the fenders.

Then my uncle stopped over. And me, him, and my son Jason went over what needs to be replaced and what can be saved frame and sheet metal wise. He has 40 years of metal work under his belt. We wouldn’t be able to do this without him.

Our Plan is to continue disassembly and categorizing this winter. And then in the spring purchase all of our sheet metal, bring it over to his place and start drilling spot welds and replacing sheet metal and chassis.

IMG_4054.jpeg
IMG_4055.jpeg
IMG_4056.jpeg

Stopped at the local metal recycling place and picked up some supplies to build some bracing inside of the car.

That way when we remove the convertible top assembly and start cutting the rusty parts out there’s some substance there to hold it all together.

IMG_4064.jpeg

Looking forward to Sunday and a little fabrication!

Auto Transport Service
Back