• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The return of MAXIMVS...

Updates:
  • Dropped the heads off at the machine shop to get the spring pockets milled for dual springs, should have them back and set up in a few days.
  • Headers will be finished ceramic coated early next week'
  • Going to finish the short block this weekend
  • PTC is holding my converter hostage. I don't know what is going on with them, never been this disorganized before. I hope it's worth the wait but I'm hoping for next week.
Chuck (snook)

Updates:
  • PTC is shipping the converter today/tomorrow... YAY
  • Found some things I'm not OK with on the old engine. Mismatched rods (1 LY rod the others are 2406395 MW rods - the builder is responsible for this not the guy I got it from - the assembly is balanced so no big deal), -0.020 crank and rod bearings.
  • A bud has given me a 440 block but needs main caps - I'll use the 440 source steel billet caps and have it align bored/honed. I'm going to a 440 source 496 stroker when I do the new build short block. In the meantime I'm putting it together knowing that I'll be swapping short blocks later.
Chuck (snook)

Updates:
  • Converter is on the way, should be here tomorrow. This is a biggie. K-member swap should be a go this weekend, we'll see
  • Heads should be done tomorrow, we'll see
  • Carb rebuilds on the list, maybe done this weekend we'll see
  • Cam going in and degreed, we'll see
Whole lot of 'we'll see' in here...

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
  • PTC converter is here finally
  • Mounted new 63HP oil pump and closed up oil pan
  • Heads should be ready tomorrow
  • fenderwell headers pushed off (but looking good) until early next week
  • cam install and degreed this weekend if not tomorrow
  • engine painted and ready for install early next week
Chuck (snook)

Updates:
  • Heads are done, picking up Tuesday
That's it for now. May be picking up a 63 Fury with a 413 4DR for parts next week

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
  • picking up completed heads tomorrow
  • picking up recoated ceramic fenderwell headers tomorrow
  • finishing up long block in the next few days
  • removing hacked k-member and suspension Wednesday
  • installing engine/trans in the next few days
Chuck (snook)

Updates:
  • Doug's fenderwell headers ceramic recoated picked up - looks GREAT, they did a nice job, Hotshots said they were in PERFECT shape, no degradation - no rusted out sections. Someone caught wind of this and offered $3500 for them; Doug's fenderwell headers for 62-65 BB Mopars have been out of production for a while now. No dice, they are going onto MAXIMVS.
  • Disconnected the steering column coupler in preparation of the K-member swap
  • Everything is a go for k-member swap and engine/trans installation after cam install and degreeing.
Chuck (snook)

Things have been really busy with work, finally getting back on the car.

Updates:
  • Got the steering disconnected for the K-member engine & trans install. Man I really made sure that the coupler wouldn't come loose 20 years ago, what a PITA I left for myself 20 years later but I was victorious in the end.
  • Got the Cloyes timing chain set installed to get the cam degreed in (see attached pic) and set TDC.
  • Assembled the ATI super damper hub to the ring - have to pay attention to the index marks because it's such a close fit and not easy to push out if you mess up (don't ask me how I know, I should have remembered that from 20 years ago as well).
  • If I have time in the next few days, I'll get the cam degreed when I get the heads on for a mock up with the Isky rockers. I still need to check piston to valve clearance but I'm not anticipating any issues.
  • The pistons are proud to the block deck and I measured the old CR to be around 11.75:1 and that won't cut it for iron heads on the street. I opted to go with 0.051" crush thickness over the 0.039" head gaskets and the new calculated ratio is 10.69:1 and that is pushing it for street duty with iron MW 81cc heads.
  • The PTC converter is a 9.5" unit with a projected stall of 3500 rpm which should be a good match for the change to 4.10's from the 4.56's in the D60 now. Calculated final ratio with 30" M/T drag radials is 3.66:1, so should be fairly street friendly with some NSS action thrown in there.
  • Still need to rebuild the carbs but they might be too small (eddy 625's) and I may opt for a couple of eddy thunder 800's. We'll see how it runs with the 625's first after rebuilds.
Chuck (snook)

20220404_183838.jpg

Updates, getting closer:
  • Got the cam degreed. Isky says straight up at 108* ILC; came in at 107.5*, I'm good with that.
  • Got the heads on and torqued. Man that ARP lube is some messy stuff.
  • Piston to valve clearance came in at 0.150" + 0.051 for the head gasket thickness = 0.201. Plenty of clearance.
  • I'll button up the long block in the next few days, give it a paint job, mount the crossram and then it's go time for trans/install with the new unbutchered k-member.
Chuck (snook)

The Doug's fenderwell headers (that I bought originally 20 years ago) need recoating. I used Hotshots in Davie FL and they turned out beautifully. I attached a few pics, BEFORE AND AFTER. Doug's was a quality (maybe still is, I don't know) but these have been discontinued and are very scarce. Moser's is asking an arm and a leg for the few sets they have left.

Chuck (snook)

20220129_110737.jpg 20220129_110748.jpg 20220129_110759.jpg DSC_8878.jpg DSC_8879.jpg DSC_8880.jpg DSC_8881.jpg

Updates:
  • Got the long block buttoned up and painted. Of course the oil pan, valve covers and crossram are a different shade, so I will go over those later, I have most of a 2nd can left.
  • FYI, the OER 62-65 max wedge orange paint through Mancini is the right color and it went on well.
  • I attached a couple of pics of the work in progress
Chuck (snook)

20220410_163745.jpg 20220410_163755.jpg

Updates:
  • Milestone: Got the engine off the stand
  • Bolted the B&M SFI flex plate to the crank
  • Installed PTC 9.5" converter into the trans and bolted the engine and trans together and mounted on the K-member
  • Got the k-member with the engine/trans on the dolly (see attached pics)
This next week, the old hacked k-member and front suspension comes out and the new K-member/engine/trans goes in the car. The front suspension will be done as well with new 1.03" torsion bars going in.

Chuck (snook)

View attachment 1271138 View attachment 1271139 DSC_8886.jpg DSC_8887.jpg

Updates:
  • Installed the ductile iron (the old good ones) rocker arms assemblies with stands, Isky EZ roller lifters (no needle bearings- all bushed. Once again spendy but worth it to me for the peace of mind and street duty I have in mind), Isky 3/8" pushrods and set the initial valve lash for start up. No break in as I installed a solid roller and I won't have to worry about wiping a lobe.
  • Installed the crossram
  • Installed the 6903 Carter fuel pump. This one won't need a regulator
  • Decided not to use the 625 cfm Eddy's that I have on hand. Will go to 750's or 800's - still pondering that one. In any case, I'll have three 1406's to sell, so let me know if you need one, 2 or all three. They will need rebuilds but they look pretty good.
  • Slapped on the crossram connection (through Mancini) max wedge air cleaner set. These are spendy but they are top notch. See attached pics, I think they look good (I always have).
  • Got the engine front end kit from 440 Source with the 100A 1 wire alternator they sell as an option. I'll dink with that tomorrow or tonight if I don't fall over.
  • Engine/trans/k-member goes in the car Friday (I hope)
Chuck (snook)

DSC_8888.jpg DSC_8889.jpg DSC_8890.jpg

Updates:
  • Got the k-member and front suspension out I installed 20 years ago. Man I did a good job back then with the PST components. It took me 3 hours to get those upper A-arm ball joints to break free from the spindle. Got it done though. End result is that I will have to rebuild the front end again as the rubbers did not fare well after 20 years.
  • Rolled the new unmolested k-member/engine/trans under the car and installed with few issues, looks good in there, see attached pics.
  • Got a new PST front end kit and a-arms on order for install next week.
Chuck (snook)

DSC_8891.jpg DSC_8892.jpg

I had a chance to look over the old PST front end components. Note that these were installed new in 2002. I thought that maybe I could just swap over the front end components considering that yeah, they are 20 years old but had minimal miles on them (1/4 mile at a time back then) but I couldn't be more wrong. All of the rubbers, control arm bushings, tie rod and upper/lower ball joint boots, bump stops, etc, etc were completely degraded and all will need replaced. It is what it is, age is a relentless master.

Chuck (snook)

Had a chance to look over the front end calipers and adapters... this did not go well. The caliper mounting bolts to the caliper adapters sheared off on three of the four bolts. Geez. Age is a bitch and fasteners are no exception. My fault from 20 years ago.

Chuck (snook)

Had a chance to look over the front end calipers and adapters... this did not go well. The caliper mounting bolts to the caliper adapters sheared off on three of the four bolts. Geez. Age is a bitch and fasteners are no exception. My fault from 20 years ago.

Chuck (snook)
Sorry to hear. Looks great so far tho

Auto Transport Service
Back