• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The return of MAXIMVS...

This is too much fun. 15 years past. It's interesting to see how the original build has aged... and it's not pretty. Front end parts aging and will need to be replaced, paint and graphics aging but will be retained as it is what it is, brake system components will need replacement due to age. It goes on and on but is nothing more than what I was expecting. The man I sold the car to did a great job in preserving the car while racing it. Basically I will be returning the car to a street/race ready state. Hope to have the engine and trans pulled this weekend for inspection.

Chuck

Last edited:
Drivetrain out, pics

Chuck

20220122_143224.jpg 20220122_143239.jpg 20220122_143245.jpg 20220122_143253.jpg 20220122_144736.jpg 20220122_144957.jpg

Engine looks good, pics. These max wedge head ports are huge. Minimal carbon on piston tops, wiped right off. Those are Isky rockers arms and stands - excellent shape, I'll probably re-use them.

Chuck

20220123_125619.jpg 20220123_125626.jpg 20220123_125635.jpg 20220123_125644.jpg 20220123_125652.jpg 20220123_125714.jpg 20220123_125724.jpg 20220123_125818.jpg 20220123_125824.jpg 20220123_125829.jpg

Block is 0.060" over, so no more boring on this one. I'm checking rod and main bearings and if they look good, I'm buttoning it up with the new Isky solid roller and using it while I build a new shortblock with some more cubes. It looks great so far, the guy that put this motor together did a quality job. The MW heads are going out for a valve job and valve stem seal replacement - they look good too but I'd be an idiot to have it this far apart and not do a valve job. I'm probably not using the Isky ductile adjustable rocker system (they look new, hard decision here) and going with a T&D setup to handle the roller valvetrain stresses.

Chuck

One weird thing, the driveshaft that I had newly built in 2003 is SHOT. I mean it's almost rusted through in spots. I've never seen anything like this before. Right now it's nothing more than a pattern for the new driveshaft. The car was stored in a pole barn (a REALLY nice one) in north Georgia with concrete floors but was not climate controlled. I've ruled out dissimilar metals corrosion, so it's down to a high carbon content metal and a high humidity atmosphere with significant temperature swings.

Chuck

I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying this reunion and it is bittersweet as well. Humans age as do our metal chariot counterparts. The only difference is that if we do our job correctly, our metal brethren will far outlive us. I take some solace in that as I've always known and acknowledged that my existence is a temporary thing and I'm OK with that. I mean what can you do to change that? Some owner in the future is going to think "What in the hell was this guy thinking?!" or " That guy really cared about this car" or something else or in between. We'll be too far gone at that point to care or not around to comprehend that sentiment.

Chuck (snook)

Got the rear Halibrand's mounted today and test fitted on the car - fit great. For future reference the wheels are front 15x6 with a 3.75" backspace and 215/70R15 firestones. The rears are 15x10" with a 4.25" backspace mounted on M/T 3558's (P295/65-15 ET Street radials DOT). Here's some pics, old school. Just in case anybody doesn't know Holley is reproducing these in aluminum.

Chuck (snook)

20220127_165801.jpg 20220127_182915.jpg 20220127_182925.jpg 20220127_183126.jpg

Age is a bitch. I went to remove the red roll bar padding (what was I thinking back then anyway, I might as well as hung a disco ball from it) and it disintegrated in my hands - did not age well that's for sure, 19 years. My knees are killing me for the first time that I can remember, lots of heavy lifting lately but it feels GOOD. The Bendpak redesigned MAXJAX is a lifesaver, if you're considering a mid lift due to garage ceiling height, I heartily recommend it - it makes life for us old guys much easier and it's a really stout unit. It's also portable, unbolt and wheel it out of the way and the garage is freed up for whatever.

Chuck

Selling all the old race stuff is going well and will fund the new steel parts to replace the glass race parts. Sold off the 15x8 Halibrand's (GM pattern) and tires, the glass hood, bumpers & deck lid. Trans will go out for a freshen up and the MW heads are going out for a valve job but they are probably ok as-is. Isky solid roller, roller lifters, valve springs, locks and retainers on order. Things are progressing as time and budget (what's a budget) allow.

Chuck (snook)

Age is a bitch. I went to remove the red roll bar padding (what was I thinking back then anyway, I might as well as hung a disco ball from it) and it disintegrated in my hands - did not age well that's for sure, 19 years. My knees are killing me for the first time that I can remember, lots of heavy lifting lately but it feels GOOD. The Bendpak redesigned MAXJAX is a lifesaver, if you're considering a mid lift due to garage ceiling height, I heartily recommend it - it makes life for us old guys much easier and it's a really stout unit. It's also portable, unbolt and wheel it out of the way and the garage is freed up for whatever.

Chuck

At our age you have to use a lot of padding under your knees. Doing the interior on my '62 it was still hard with nice puffy towels to kneel on. We end up using lots of muscles that we haven't used in awhile when doing these do overs :rolleyes:

Agreed, age adds extra challenges and we need to adapt as far as we can while we are still alive. The car will never be an original MW car as it started life as a slant six Savoy. That said, I've come to terms with just making it a dual street/strip (NSS) car and going with the flow as well as I can. I'm having a blast though, that I can tell you.

Chuck (snook)

I am kicking my own *** for removing the trunk lid torsion bars...:realcrazy:

Chuck (snook)

Update:
  1. Old Glasstek fiberglass body parts sold (hood, decklid & bumpers).
  2. Halibrand GM pattern 15x8's sold.
  3. New Halibrand 15x10's and M/T street ET tires (P295/65R15) mounted and stuck on the car.
  4. Steel OEM deck lid, hood and k-member at the strippers. Will be a few weeks before I pick up the pieces. It's in Wauchula Florida - great guy and a good facility for dipping whole bodies or piece parts. Here's the website and address: http://www.autorestorationdepot.com/
  5. MW 2402286 heads going out for a valve job and new seals.
  6. Push button trans going out for re-sealing and a freshen.
  7. Roller cam valvetrain on order at Isky - will be a few weeks before I see it.
  8. New AMD bumpers ordered, will be a few weeks before they get here.
  9. 8" PTC converter going back for a credit and a new 10" 3500 stall converter on order for street duty - the 8" was just too much for the street at 4500-4800 stall.
Work and $$$ as time and budget permits.

Chuck (snook)

More updates; got the Isky solid roller and kit ordered.

Went with:
PART #: 165050 - 505T (RR505-T, SOLID ROLLER CAM & KIT FOR CHRYSLER 440. Cam & Kit includes: Cam, Pushrods, Springs, Retainers, Shims & Thrust bumper. Added the Optional Kit Parts - VL-38 - 3/8 Valve Locks and Optional Roller Lifter Upgrade to Bushing EZ-Roll (no needle bearings, it's spendy but worth it to me for the peace of mind. I had a set of needle bearing rockers let go on me one time, it wasn't pretty). I'll be using a set of original oldie ISKY ductile max wedge adjustable rockers - they are like new and Isky says they will work great with this setup.

Chuck (snook)

Cam specs (will be moving to a 1.6 rocker later):

Chuck (snook)

RR-505-Ta.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back