• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The return of MAXIMVS...

Wow Just waiting to see what your first street ride is gonna be like.

Wow Just waiting to see what your first street ride is gonna be like.
Thanks, I took it up and down the street once but only for a minute or so. Going to be nice when it's all sorted out.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- Took the car to the gear shop this last Monday morning per our agreed upon drop off appointment. Shop would not return my calls or give me an estimate on the work. This afternoon, I called them and was told that they had not got to the car yet for anything and wouldn't until next week. I told them to get all my parts together and I'd send a tow truck to pick the car up. I was sensing auto shop jail and I'm not playing that game especially when I was told they would get right on it as agreed. It looks like I'll be dusting off my differential tools and doing the gear and spool swap to a sure-grip D60 diff myself. I know they are a busy shop and I'd used them before on small stuff but I made the call to get the car and my parts and do it myself unless I can find another shop to do the work on my time line. I would like to debut the car next year in March at Bradenton for the NMCA/NSS 2023 kick off but I probably won't make it but I'm going to shoot for that. Car and parts are home now.
- Drove the car up and down the street for a few hundred yards, felt good. Needs tuning big time.
- Put the antique plates on the car and it's insured, so as soon as I do some tuning, I'll go for a good drive after the front end gets aligned and a new exhaust system with cut outs installed.
- Got the new RCI fuel cell sender from Summit to replace the defective one, install later this week but my meat hook hands are too big to fit in the hole, so my buddy with smaller hands will have to assist me with that job.
- Got the new inner/outer sill plate sets delivered, mine are the worse for wear so I bit the bullet and got new repros. I'll post some pics.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- Got the new RCI fuel cell sender installed - all good now. The old one's lever arm was stiff but the resistor and float is good, I'll keep it for spares.
- Powered up the car and the brake lights were on. Pedal was high and stiff. I initially suspected the line lock I tested out yesterday but I cracked the fitting at the line lock inlet and the brake lights went off, so I know it's not a sticking line lock solenoid. It has to be the adjustable brake pedal rod is out of adjustment. Now I get to do one of least favorite things and adjust it. I replaced the master cylinder with a different newer model and I though it was ok with the way it was but NO.
- See attached pics of the resto sill plate sets. They got shipped to me from Classic in a heavy duty tube, I'll be saving that. These are nice pieces but they don't come cheap ($279.99 + $38.95 shipping), I saved some $$$, Trim Parts wants $360.89 + $47 shipping for the same thing.

Chuck (snook)

20221118_173632.jpg

20221118_173827.jpg

20221118_173835.jpg

20221118_173852.jpg

20221118_173905.jpg

Updates:
- Finished the brake push rod adjustment. It SUCKED just like I thought it would/remember but it was WAY out of adjustment. Everything appears to be OK now. Luckily I had installed a MP adjustable piece 20 years ago, so with 1/2" & 9/16" open end wrenches, I got it done. My neck is going to be sore for a week after the contortions.
- Started the clean-up and organization of the garage after all the work, I have a ton of left over parts. I'll need to get rid of them, so look for a listing in the Marketplace section.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- Made the paint shop appointment last week. It's going in some minor body work, cowl rust repairs and a fresh coat of WW1 Ermine white the first week in January (January 2nd).
- When I did the front end this last year, I could not find a Moog pitman arm. Now I have a nice NOS one, so I'll be pulling the old pitman arm and installing a new Moog pitman arm. Removing pitman arms has always been a PITA for me, so I invested in a new OTC 7310A puller. This puller is a beast and I anticipate no problems with pulling a pitman arm ever again. I replaced the supplied 5/16-18 4" bolts and wingnuts with Grade 8 parts and this should cure any complaints/reviews that I ran accross. All those said when they went to better hardware, the puller worked flawlessly. We'll see. The puller also comes with adapters for use when popping ball joints.

Chuck (snook)

I have a MATCO puller similar to that one, it’s paid for itself many times over.

Updates:
- Changed out the Pitman Arms - what a piece of cake with that OTC 7310A puller. A few seconds and it was off with an impact. I've fought Pitman Arms for three days before I won. Worth every penny
- Trying to find a shop to do the front end alignment this week.
- Got a small leak at the shift cable entry. Probably need to change out the cable o-ring. I'll do that after I get the FE alignment and exhaust done.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- Had the car towed to the Okeechobee Dodge dealer for a front end alignment - they were stoked to see it and asked for the job. Very gratifying to see the techs go over the car when it was dropped off.
- While at the dealer I asked about the gear and sure grip change out and for an estimate. They are competitive with other Okeechobee shops, so I gave it to them. Unfortunately the tech that was most qualified came down with a 102* fever and has been out since then but will be back in this Monday (12/5/2022), we'll see. The guy really wants to do it, so I'm willing to cut them some slack - they are fired up about it, so I'm OK with paying it forward though I hate leaving Max anywhere overnight.
- It makes me feel really good seeing the techs reaction to the car. When they see the flat hood come up and the crossrammed engine comes into view... that's payback enough for me. The service managers and sales guys are really into it... I got a call from the sales department asking if I was interested in trading it in.... HA.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- So disappointed. Finally chased down a dealer update as Max has been at the Dodge dealer for the better part of last week. Had to finally go down there and was told by the tech that he didn't feel up to the job of a simple gear change and D60 rebuild for the reasons of dealer liability. Bottom line is that he was intimidated, that's my take. Had Max towed home without a front end alignment and gear change to the tune of $280 in tow charges. I'm pissed - am I wrong?
- Max is sitting at home and will probably stay there until the tow to Ft. Pierce for bodywork and paint first week in January 2023.

Still pissed...

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- So disappointed. Finally chased down a dealer update as Max has been at the Dodge dealer for the better part of last week. Had to finally go down there and was told by the tech that he didn't feel up to the job of a simple gear change and D60 rebuild for the reasons of dealer liability. Bottom line is that he was intimidated, that's my take. Had Max towed home without a front end alignment and gear change to the tune of $280 in tow charges. I'm pissed - am I wrong?
- Max is sitting at home and will probably stay there until the tow to Ft. Pierce for bodywork and paint first week in January 2023.

Still pissed...

Chuck (snook)
Wow! That sucks! Dealers have insurance and there wouldn't be any liability at all. Sheesh. Sorry to hear, hope it gets better.

Updates:

Still pissed...

Chuck (snook)
I would be pissed too, if they scheduled the work and then declined it after you had the car towed to the shop I would expect them to cover the tow bill.

I was fortunate enough to find an old car guy at a Goodyear service centre to do my front end alignment. He gets referrals for old mopars through of word of mouth.
The whole shop gathered around when I drove the Belvedere in.

IMG_0790.JPG

Assuming your rear diff isn't making noise, meaning it's set right. The pinion depth is known for pinion gear in there. There are numbers for the depth. With the number off both gears you can get Pin depth right on or very close. Have a set rear pinion and pair of side bearing honed to slip fit. You'll need another new set ugh. You may be lucky and only need to set back lash. Ask on here to figure out what pinion numbers mean and whether you need to add or subtract pinion shims.

Updates:
- Listed the MAXJAX and it sold 2 hours later, so the new Classic Backyard Buddy lift can be installed without it being in the way. The 2 post MAXJAX was great but my old bones are not up to it any longer. So a 4 post (ordered a Backyard Buddy Classic to fill the void, see the tool thread) is the only way I can continue in doing what I love with the Savoy. No longer have to get under the car to set the 2 post legs. Sobering, this old age thing but I've had a good run and if the Lord takes me tonight, I have no complaints.
- Got the repro MW plug wire looms in, so I can custom fit the 8.5mm MSD plug wires for an acceptable application, way too long without trimming a significant amount.
- Plan on doing some ignition timing runs this week to dial in the engine. The new engine is in progress, spring next year seems doable, I would really like to make the NMCA NSS races next 2023 March at the house of hook Bradenton FL but we'll see.
- I found an Old School shop to do the gear change in January 2023 after paint.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- Haven't touched the car in over a week. Don't want to jeopardize the paint & body appointment first week in January 2023, needs to be running.
- Got the D60 rebuild scheduled after I get the car back from paint.
- Ordering small parts... SOS.
- Ordering a red headliner to replace the trashed white one that I installed 20 years ago.
- New lift should be installed end of January or February, that will make things a LOT easier on my old bones.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- MAXIMVS was delivered to the paint and body shop today for some bodywork and conversion to a plain white wrapper ERMINE WW1 single stage paint job... I've attached some MAXIMVS pics for posterity.
- Work to be done includes cowl repair (2 small through holes to be fixed), right lower front fender repair after the lower fender was rolled up in backing the car off the trailer; the tire caught the lower fender edge and buckled it. The tire diameter was too much by an inch and that did it. It happened right after the paint job was done many years ago at the track.
- There is a highly regarded upholstery shop in the same complex and the car will get a dark red headliner (replaces the white headliner that I botched years ago) and new carpet throughout.
- More stuff but boring so I'll it at this for now.
- The new 4 post lift will be delivered and installed by the end of this month (I hope) and i'll get some pics of it as it's being installed.

Chuck (snook)

DSC_9009.jpg

DSC_9010.jpg

DSC_9012.jpg

DSC_9014.jpg

DSC_9015.jpg

DSC_9017.jpg

DSC_9018.jpg

DSC_9020.jpg

DSC_9022.jpg

DSC_9023.jpg

Updates:
  • Unfortunately, the MAXIMVS graphics need to be removed. The original paint primer had failed and surface rust was causing the paint to bubble including under the MAXIMVS graphics.
  • The cowl (drivers' side) had developed two rust holes the size of a half dollar and will be patched.
  • Car will be done with a dark red headliner to replace the dingy white headliner. The white headliner will be destroyed when the halo roll cage bars remnants will be ground off.
  • The headliner will be replaced along with the carpet as it was damaged when grinding off the halo lower bars and it singed the carpet. The carpet will be replaced in the rear as well. I bought new repro sills to replace the bent and corroded pieces.
  • I have a new engine that I'm building. It's a standard bore block that will go 0.030 over and a 500" CID stroker kit that's going in.
That's all for now.

Chuck (snook)

Time for an update...

Updates:
- I'm told car is in primer and all body alignments are done. I'm going over there to check it out this next week and will get pics.
- Found a local shop for the D60 spool 4.56 swap to a D60 Powr-Lok sure-grip and 4.10's
- When the car gets its fresh coat of WW1 Ermine, it's off to the upholstery shop in the same complex for a dark red headliner and new carpet with insulation top and bottom...
- May get the exhaust system done after the interior work but the wallet is taking a beating and may have to wait a week or two...
- New 4 post lift will be here week after next it looks like.

Chuck (snook)

Updates:
- Car will be painted by the end of the week
- Stopped by the paint shop to see progress, getting masked up and ready for paint in the next few days, see pics

Chuck (snook)

DSC_9024.jpg

DSC_9025.jpg

DSC_9026.jpg

DSC_9027.jpg

DSC_9028.jpg

DSC_9029.jpg

DSC_9031.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back