• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Roach

I have to applaud you for not just the hands on labor intensive work but also knowing how to take a decent picture.
The iphone made everyone think they can take pictures. Many can NOT. Crappy angles, VERTICAL pictures, too far away or too close, etc.
I have vertical videos and pictures. They only belong when recording space shuttle launches, skyscrapers, really tall people and giraffes. Otherwise.....

Vertical vid.gif

Stripped the right front fender and trunk lid. Just the hood and front valance remain.

As per my body man, I start off with 35 grit 8” DA to get most of the finish coat off (this is an original paint car) and then switch to 6” DA using 80 grit.

IMG_6104.jpeg

Plenty of tiny dents on the trunk lid and in the tops of the quarters which makes me think it was hail damage.

IMG_6107.jpeg

This sucked.

IMG_6105.jpeg

Stripped the right front fender and trunk lid. Just the hood and front valance remain.

As per my body man, I start off with 35 grit 8” DA to get most of the finish coat off (this is an original paint car) and then switch to 6” DA using 80 grit.

View attachment 1542529

Plenty of tiny dents on the trunk lid and in the tops of the quarters which makes me think it was hail damage.

View attachment 1542531

This sucked.

View attachment 1542530
Love the color, oh wait, never mind!!! :lol:

Starting off with the 35 grit and then going to the 80 is good advice. Using a finer material tends to just float over material and not cut through. Learned that one in the 70's when I worked as a prepper. My boss showed me the difference on a panel that had painted lettering on it. Used a rough disc on one area then some 180/220 on the other. Both removed but under the primer you could still see the letters, even though it was bare metal, on the 180/220 side.

Had the mobile sandblaster pay me a visit today. Before and after...

thumbnail (2).jpg

The left inner fender needs to be replaced, which is why it wasn't completely blasted.
thumbnail (9).jpg

Got the frame rail, shock tower and forward of the door hinge pillar.
thumbnail (10).jpg

thumbnail (8).jpg

Got the hard to get areas in around the headlight perches.
thumbnail (6).jpg

Seat tracks, hood hinges, hood latch support and rear tailpipe hanger brackets.
thumbnail (7).jpg

Finally off to the body shop next week. :bananaweed:

I’m leaving it bare and not exposing it to humidity as best as I possibly can. So far, so good. It’s going to the body man in less than two weeks & he knows that he’ll have to do a light sanding himself before priming it.
looking really good RC :thumbsup:

Looks great Mark,will be doing mine soon. What area was the hardest?

Looks great Mark,will be doing mine soon. What area was the hardest?

For blasting or sanding? Sanding was a lot of work and time. All the blasting he did today took him 2 hours. He said that he could have sandblasted the whole car in one day, but I’m glad that I sanded every thing I did.

Sanding,did you have undercoating?

Sanding,did you have undercoating?

Even though this is an original paint car with no repaint, there’s no way to sugar coat it; sanding it all off sucked.

I scraped off the loose undercoating, but kept the original undercoating on. No way am I ever going to make the underside as nice as the top ever again. Undercoat it and forget about it.

IMG_6313.jpeg

It's hard work, I did it once, the others were sent off and all the body and paint was done. There's a different feeling when your hands have touched every square inch. My Coronet was bought, and that doesn't mean I don't appreciate it, but it's not the same. Looks great Mark!!

Last edited:
You better take your wife to have her nails done after you made her sand your whole Charger to bare metal!

Auto Transport Service
Back