• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Willomet Charger

Detail pretty much only y’all will see. It only needed an hour of bumping and filing and some layout fluid to guide me.

83624D6D-99C4-4D4B-8514-A0A494316AE3.jpeg

David

Rear deck filler details.

Seat hooks deleted and blended.

6484E46C-1641-4060-B339-5D9E9D1848B7.jpeg

Laid out.

520FF29E-DECE-4EB8-AA5E-7389E7AEB951.jpeg

The mittler bros punch and dimple all in one dies are pretty slick.

1C15EF68-C46A-4754-8452-7FAB423F5FD7.jpeg

C4DAB1C2-AEAE-4AE2-8DC3-10F78FB62257.jpeg

BEA2E1C3-92CF-45FE-A9B1-755035A90921.jpeg

Now to wrap my brain around flanging these inner wheel houses to the frame.

David

Quick and simple rocker cap. The wheelhouses just need a flush mounting surface.
F1E1650A-F54F-4F54-A962-613429890DF8.jpeg

Unfortunately, I injured my dominant eye last week, and I didn’t get nearly as much time in the shop over Thanksgiving as I would have liked. Yesterday was the first day I could see clearly enough to scribe and cut a line

Back at it.

David

Quick and simple rocker cap. The wheelhouses just need a flush mounting surface.
View attachment 1379507

Unfortunately, I injured my dominant eye last week, and I didn’t get nearly as much time in the shop over Thanksgiving as I would have liked. Yesterday was the first day I could see clearly enough to scribe and cut a line

Back at it.

David
I'm sorry to hear that you were injured. Glad to hear that you're back at it. Your work gives the rest of us slobs hope...lol.

I'm sorry to hear that you were injured. Glad to hear that you're back at it. Your work gives the rest of us slobs hope...lol.
Not going to lie, it’s somewhat terrifying losing partial vision. I’m thankful it’s on the path to healing.

David

Stretching the front part of the wheelhouse to match up to the frame. It's just a little nip/tuck, but important to close a small gap. The AMD wheelhouses are every-so-slightly different from the originals I referenced while drawing up the frame. These are very slight adjustments.

It took two slices, some massaging with some soft faced mallets, a little reforming of this edge radius, and that's about it.

IMG_1580.JPEG

IMG_1581.JPEG

IMG_1585.JPEG

The MIG still works. That outer seam left a small gap, which is best filled by the glue gun. The other seam is tight to the unibody, and got the OCD treatment.

IMG_1587.JPEG

All these are all ground and basically blended. Just a bit of bump work left to make it pretty.

David

Finished this up last night.

Blended and ready for a small massage to get it all back smooth.

IMG_1589.JPEG

IMG_1593.JPEG

IMG_1594.JPEG

Inside corners blended

IMG_1595.JPEG

Now the front edge of the wheelhouse is as tight as possible to the unibody and meets the rear frame torque box.

IMG_1600.JPEG

IMG_1598.JPEG

The inner wheelhouse will take more work, but it was sliced to match.

IMG_1601.JPEG

IMG_1603.JPEG

IMG_1604.JPEG

IMG_1607.JPEG

I'll duplicate on the other side before coming back to this inner, and getting it to match up to the frame.

David

Tried something different for the other side.

The mounting flange was sliced and sectioned, while the rest was beaten into position with some bossing mallets to close the gap to the rocker. There was way less welding and finishing required.

CC052D04-83A3-41E2-B8D2-C133153B39B8.jpeg

This is all to give the wheel openings about a 3/4” wider opening at the bottom of the arch, and better fit a 345/30 through the range of travel.

Continuing on with the inner wheelhouses.

David

Looks like someone is playing chess while working! Lol!!

Looks like someone is playing chess while working! Lol!!
You're so right. I should get some white ones.

So, here's the play by play for the wheelhouse reshaping. It's a lot of work, but I wanted the lower edge to match the profile of the torque box section of the frame. The process is basically this:
- round out the flat area with bossing mallets
- weld and blend a patch
- english wheel everything smooth, blending the weld seams as I go
- continue using body hammers and the english wheel to stretch the wheelhouse smooth
- layout fluid reveals high and low spots needing more work
- continue working until the panel is smooth to the desire radius
- file and blend smooth the last very minor imperfections

IMG_1693.JPEG

IMG_1695.JPEG

IMG_1697.JPEG

IMG_1700.JPEG

IMG_1701.JPEG

IMG_1703.JPEG

IMG_1704.JPEG

IMG_1707.JPEG

IMG_1708.JPEG

IMG_1709.JPEG

David

The rest of the process.

IMG_1710.JPEG

IMG_1717.JPEG

IMG_1718.JPEG

IMG_1719.JPEG

IMG_1720.JPEG

IMG_1721.JPEG

IMG_1722.JPEG

IMG_1726.JPEG

This is roughly done. There's still some reforming for the frame flange and tiny pin holes to fill, but I'll leave that for later.

David

Even more incredible than your talent is your patience
Patience is the key for sure. There’s no fast way (I don’t think) to do any of this very well. It’s lots of incremental steps, none of which are too hard, but do require prolonged focus for an amateur like me to get the kind of results I want.

I listen to books or Jazz while I work. That keeps me in a zone.

David

Steady, daily progress.

Transferring the rail profile to the wheelhouse and marking the whole thing for a trim. I'm going to see if I can use the bead roller to get the flange I want, but if that doesn't work, I have flange already stretched and ready to weld in place.

IMG_1738.JPEG

IMG_1740.JPEG

IMG_1743.JPEG

IMG_1735.jpeg

David

Pretty happy with the fit. It’s tight getting this all loaded into the car.

508CAF97-8906-469E-84DF-ECCBF9E8B5C3.jpeg

David

Auto Transport Service
Back