• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermostat Question?

dodge68charger

Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
Running A 440 With Dual Electric Fans and a Painless Fan Harness That Turns On at 185 Degrees And Off at 175 Degrees.

The Motor Does Have A/C and Is Mostly Stock

What Temperature Thermostat Should I Run?

If your fan is set to turn off at 175, it may always be running with a 180 thermostat.

It would be better to stay at 180 and have the fan turn off at 185. At cruising speed the fan might not need to run at all.

I don't know about cars but when I was employed our diesel trucks had the cooling fan turn on at 10 degrees over the thermostat. I think modern cars are about the same.

The best way to set electric fans is put in 180° t-stat, get engine warm, get on interstate/highway and turn fans off. Drive for 20 minutes at interstate speed and see where engine temp settles in at. You want your "fan off" temp 10° above that an "fan on" 10-15° above fan off. You don't want, shouldn't need, e-fans running at highway speeds to cool engine.

The Painless 30116 Kit Turns the Fans On at 195 and Off At 185

Only 2 Options They Have

The thermostat just controls when water starts to circulate, it doesn’t control the temp literally. Engines want to run between 190-200 at the lowest IMO. If you have only one fan I would set it at 190 and see what it does, probably bump it up to 195 or even 200. I’ve not experienced any car that has had enough efficiency to run ’cold’ regardless of stat temp. Just takes longer to get up to temp with a 160 but it’ll get there eventually.

Auto Transport Service
Back